Colorado Rockies Concept

kingssss

Good call doing away with the pinstripes. It looks more snowy and appropriate to the region if the home jerseys are solid white. I like the vertical arch (Get it? Mile High... Vertical?), but as Paul Lukas would tell you, the front script is all radial, and that looks a little awkward in combination.

And now for my criticisms. The script is tough to read on the purple alternate. The home game caps are a little weird (I would stick the the "CR" for everything but BP, but that mountain alone would be a dandy shoulder patch.). I would get rid of the button and collar piping on the primary home and away; the text going through it looks terrible. I would add some outlines to some of the names. I would also like to see the controversial black-on-black vest in there, or at least make the BP black.

I agree on the mountain cap, but perhaps stick a "CR" in front of the mountain on an alt. (There used to be a minor leage team called the Bend Rockies that had a "BR" in front of a mountain and it was very nice--I wish I could get that cap).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I like 90% of it. In fact, when I did my Rockies redesign a while back, I went for the purple/silver dominant color scheme (with dark green replaceing black, for the trees in the mountains).

My two beefs:

1. Silver numbers on the home jersey. Silver on white wouldn't be as legible as purple, outlined silver, on white. The only other team I can think of that tried silver on white were the Raiders early on, and I think they were outlined black. Eventually, they gave up and went to black numbers.

2. The "R" monogram on the alt. Monograms usually stand for the city/state where the team plays, not the nickname. The "R" is misleading, especially since they've used the (questionable due to its violation of the above convention) "CR" monogram since their inception.

That aside, I like it.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I don't like the R by itself on those vests, it looks awkward. and if any of these jerseys needs silver numbers, it sure as hell aint the white. try silver digits on teh purples and you're on to something B)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

2. The "R" monogram on the alt. Monograms usually stand for the city/state where the team plays, not the nickname. The "R" is misleading, especially since they've used the (questionable due to its violation of the above convention) "CR" monogram since their inception.

That aside, I like it.

There are teams like the Indians and Blue Jays that do have the letter of the team name, so it probably wouldn't be a crime to have this on there, especially on an alternate, but I definitely see your point.

I'll try to fix this up a bit from everyone's suggestions.

teamsnew2.png

In the broadest terms, this is a huge upgrade. Nice balance of colors, with the dominant purple, supporting silver, and highlighting black.

And now for the quibbles:

1. If you arc the script on the front, you can't arch the player name on the back. The player names create a jarring clash of form with the distinctively arced script on the front. Stick to a traditional radial arc for the player names, or redo the chest scripts.

2. I applaud the idea of having two caps, one corresponding with the city/state initial and the other with the team name. It's one thing the Diamondbacks get right, and more teams should do it. But if you're going to do it, you need to put the city/state cap on the home uniform and the team name cap on the road uniform, since the team is already wearing the team name at home and the city/state name on the road. For this concept, that means the CR (or even better yet, a plain C) cap at home, the mountain on the road.

3. I like love the R monogram on the home alt. But why a vest? Does it actually get that hot in Denver? I can't help but associating vests with hot-weather teams, and that's something Colorado ain't. Sleeves just seem useful to a team in Denver.

4. Good call on killing the pinstripes. But the piping just doesn't work with the Rockies script, which is composed mainly of fine vertical lines. The piping breaks up the script too much. This is a case where a plain white jersey, perhaps with piping only on the sleeves (and maybe around the neck) would be a virtue. Alternately, perhaps piping down the shoulders to the sleeve ends, which would be a lot more distinctive than run-of-the-mill placket piping (or maybe even matching stripes down the sides of the shirt to match stripes on the sides of the pants, something no other team does).

Finally, and this is not a quibble, I actually like the silver numbers on the home uni. I don't know why; I shouldn't, since I'm usually big into readability. I mean, why have numbers or letters that nobody can read, right? But for some reason, your silver numbers on white are working for me. It would have to be reflective or metallic silver, though, not just a shade of light gray. Then under the stadium lights it would have a good effect.

Still, like I said, your ideas represent a definite upgrade.

20082614447.png

3. I like love the R monogram on the home alt. But why a vest? Does it actually get that hot in Denver?

I believe it's been in the 100s this week, actually.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

How are the vests actually making you cooler anyway? You have to wear shirts under them with sleeves regardless. I figured it was just a fashion thing.

How are the vests actually making you cooler anyway? You have to wear shirts under them with sleeves regardless. I figured it was just a fashion thing.

Yeah, but you'd be wearing the undershirt even if your jersey had sleeves. So the vests make you cooler exactly to the degree that wearing less clothing makes you cooler. Probably a minimal difference. It's just that the couple of teams with meaningful vest traditions play in reasonably hot, steamy climates. So I sort of mentally associate vests with heat. And even if it sometimes reaches 100 in Denver in July, and it does about once a decade, on average Denver is much cooler and much less humid than most other American cities.

20082614447.png

I sort of mentally associate vests with heat.

Me too. So what the hell are the Devil Rays and Twins doing? They play indoors! What's the matter? Sweating like crazy in climate-controlled domes? Go figure, those guys are wearing vests and the Marlins are voluntarily hanging around Miami in black polyester hats and shirts. Just get rid of vests completely.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...

Archived