Florida Marlins Uniform Question (1993-2002)

polsce

In 1993, the Florida Marlins wore 3 caps (all teal, two tone black and teal, and all black.) Does anybody know for what purposes they had, whether they were game caps, home or road caps or what have you. Also when was the switch made to black undershirts made.

in 1993, the marlins really used the teal. the home cap was all teal, and the main away was teal with a black bill. the black cap was an alternate (not sure if it was part of the original uniform scheme) and was used sparingly until the 1995 season i think. in 1996 the black cap became the main color cap, due probably to the vibrant teal color, and the teal became the alternate. on sundays usually you would see the marlins bust out the vests and the teal caps (kind of like whne the mets bust out the blue caps nowadays). once the 1997 season started the teal was completely fizzled out and the vest became a regular alternate, not for just sundays. we won the world series so the black stayed, even tho i loved the uniqueness of the teal....hope this helped

Miami.png

Originally, teal was the home cap and teal w/ black bill was the road cap. The black cap was an alternate that was used home and road. According to "Dressed to the Nines", the black cap became the home cap in 1995 with the teal & black remaining the road cap for the next two seasons. I do remember the black cap becoming the only cap when Jim Leyland took over as manager in 1997, although the teal & black cap was still an official cap.

Somebody probably has better information on this than I do, but I think 1995 was the year they went to black undershirts and black batting helmets, but I'm not sure of that.

from what i remember when the team changed to wearing the black caps at home, they were used for both the home and the away, the only alternate i remember was the all teal one that was used for sunday games, i dont remember the teal and black cap being used once the switch to black was made

Miami.png

from what i remember when the team changed to wearing the black caps at home, they were used for both the home and the away, the only alternate i remember was the all teal one that was used for sunday games, i dont remember the teal and black cap being used once the switch to black was made

Miami.png

I miss the teal hats and pinstripes too. Yes, it was kitschy, but it was unique. Never cared for the two-tone black and teal hats, though. I always thought the black hats looked better with the road jersy (which, in its day, I thought was one of the better road uni's in MLB)

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

Check out dressed to the nines. Meanwhile I'll try to dig up some old photos. The Marlins no longer used the teal/black road cap in 1997, but when they made the world series, New Era still was selling that former road cap as an authentic 5950 with the World Series patch on it. I never could figure out why.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I really miss those jerseys and those hats. It was great when baseball teams had unique colors, and not everyone tried to look like the White Sox (Marlins ditched teal, Rockies ditched puruple, Blue Jays ditched common sense - all became silver and black).

The more I think about it, the more I think the Marlins REALLY got their identity and logos right. I don't like the current unis, but they are at least respectable. I think the logo is really good, and it has stayed "fresh" for its 13 years. Those original jerseys were undoubtedly Marlins. I hope they don't change their logo ever (unless they move :blush: )

OldRomanSig2.jpg

i really like the marlins new uniforms. the problem is with them that the teal in the current uniforms isnt apparent enough. if you were to look at an authentic jersey, either home, away or alternate, you would see a teal outline in all the scripts. the black on the jerseys is acutally metallic looking. i think the uniforms look fine its just my opinion that they somehow make the teal stand out a bit more...cuase it is there

Miami.png

The more I think about it, the more I think the Marlins REALLY got their identity and logos right.  I don't like the current unis, but they are at least respectable.  I think the logo is really good, and it has stayed "fresh" for its 13 years.  Those original jerseys were undoubtedly Marlins.  I hope they don't change their logo ever (unless they move :blush: )

I'd say they got their identity right from the start, and have been slowly chipping away at it.

Each change has been a change for the worse. The uniforms continue to be decent, but that's because they started out so high.

What I regret never having gotten is the original teal alternate jersey. I've only ever seen one G/U one available, and I got outbid on it. If you had taken the pinstripes off, the original Marlins home, current road, teal alternate and black alternate would be a great foursome. Never understood why they used front numbers on every script front jersey except the alternates, though...

Teal alternate? They had a teal batting practice jersey which I have and a teal sleeveless alternate. They never had a solid teal game alt though.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Teal alternate? They had a teal batting practice jersey which I have and a teal sleeveless alternate. They never had a solid teal game alt though.

It may have been 1993 only, but I've seen it. I even know who has it now.

Teal alternate?  They had a teal batting practice jersey which I have and a teal sleeveless alternate.  They never had a solid teal game alt though.

It may have been 1993 only, but I've seen it. I even know who has it now.

Nope I'm 100% positive the Marlins never wore a teal alternate. Their home was a solid white pinstripe jersey, the alternate was a vest pinstripe jersey, and they had a grey road jersey. They did have an all teal batting practice jersey and also for Spring Training. That's all though.

Home

011896.jpg

Alternate

2377.jpg

Batting Practice/Spring Training

7912.jpg

Road

015243.jpg

spacer.png

If the team finally gets their new ballpark in downtown Miami and their team name changes accordingly to the Miami Marlins, I say bring the teal caps back for the home uniform and the teal with the black bill for the road uniform. The black cap should go back to being a part of the alternate uniform. All caps obviously should sport an M instead of an F.

Archived