18-Inning Madness!

HedleyLamarr

This is amazing. Two games on the same day, each going 18 innings (Arizona-Colorado is still going on), is something I've never witnessed before, and I've seen some strange things in baseball before.

Has there ever been an instance in MLB history where two games, both started on the same day, lasted 15 or more innings in both?

I was wathing Arizona vs. Colorado on the MLB Extra Innings. Man, it was insane. I love those Rockies announcers though. It seemed like they were really, genuinely enjoying the game. They were laughing and talking about how no concession stands were open and so was I, it was pretty funny. It was especially cool when all the fans were chanting "Gonzo, Gonzo." Too bad they lost 2-1 one though. Eh, whatever, but yeah this was one crazy night.

I was wathing Arizona vs. Colorado on the MLB Extra Innings. Man, it was insane. I love those Rockies announcers though. It seemed like they were really, genuinely enjoying the game. They were laughing and talking about how no concession stands were open and so was I, it was pretty funny. It was especially cool when all the fans were chanting "Gonzo, Gonzo." Too bad they lost 2-1 one though. Eh, whatever, but yeah this was one crazy night.

Yeah, drew goodman and george frazier are the best. The fans screaming gonzo did so for about the whole game, then in the 15th or 16th when it was real quite, you could hear them pretty loudly. All the fans got sick of it, and you could hear a loud "Shut Up!" It was fun, but dang, that loss hurts.

I always thought it was stupid for the consessions to close before the game was complete. What, the workers there have a bus to catch? All those extra innings would have been extra money in their pockets.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

SportsCenter said it was the first time in MLB history two games went 18 innings. Rich Hill ended up as the winning pitcher, even though he was scheduled to be today's starter (as noted, the Cubs used all 25 guys on their roster - Even starting pitchers Carlos Zambrano and Carlos Marmol were used as pinch hitters.) Len Casper on WGN-TV noted that they hadn't seen Andy Pettite in a while as of about the 16th inning, likely because they thought 'Stro's manager Phil Gardner would be tempted to put him in if he hung around... The Cubs had to call up AAA starter Ryan O'Malley to make his MLB debut for today's game (fortunatly, the Iowa Cubs were just down the road at Round Rock). No coresponding demotion has yet been announced.

Moose

I always thought it was stupid for the consessions to close before the game was complete. What, the workers there have a bus to catch? All those extra innings would have been extra money in their pockets.

How many concession stand employees at Turner Field do you think park in the Lexus lot?

Perhaps they have only a certain amount of food they can/are allowed to sell per game. Not to mention the time it takes to shut down everything....

As a side note here, both the Nats/Braves game on Tuesday and the Phillies/Mets game on Wednesday were two of the shortest games this season...and probably for a while.

The Nats/Braves game only took 2 hours and 1 minute to complete. And the Phillies/Mets game went just 2 hours and 3 minutes. Complete game shutouts for both winners (Pedro Astacio and Jon Lieber).

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

How many concession stand employees at Turner Field do you think park in the Lexus lot?

Perhaps they have only a certain amount of food they can/are allowed to sell per game. Not to mention the time it takes to shut down everything....

Also, given the litigious nature of our society, sporting events usually shut down beer sales before the last 25% game is played so fans have time to sober up before getting into their cars. If you sold beer at an OT/extra-inning game, you might be serving alcohol up until the last minute before they get behind the wheel.

Archived