Magic Number Watch

meetthemets

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since 1962 its Mets 2 Braves 1

And the Champiionships in Boston and Milwaukee dont really count any more.

How would they not count? It's not like they got a completly new team. It is still the BRAVES. They did not start over completly.

Therefore

Braves- 3

Mets-2

End of arguement.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Since 1962 its Mets 2 Braves 1

And the Champiionships in Boston and Milwaukee dont really count any more.

How would they not count? It's not like they got a completly new team. It is still the BRAVES. They did not start over completly.

Therefore

Braves- 3

Mets-2

End of arguement.

As a franchise that is the end of the argument, but I seriously doubt too many people from Atlanta hang their hats on the Milwaukee/Boston successes.

For example, the Twins have 2 championships. That's all I think about. I am aware that the Nationals won in 1924, but it does nothing for me. I am from Minnesota, not DC.

The biggest difference is that the Twins franchise changed its name, unlike the Braves franchise--but that is pretty non-substantive. Washington Nationals (of old) are to the Twins as Milwaukee Braves are to Atlanta Braves.

I would almost think a Brewer fan (if he/she is pretty old) would get more from the Milwaukee Braves championship than an Atlanta fan.

So while I do not agree with Tank that "they don't count," I do see his point.

(if you root, root, root for the home team, I suppose there could be some people that just liked the Braves in all cities.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

At the end of this season, it'll have been 2,430 games since the Pittsburgh Pirates last saw post-season action... or had a winning record.

AND COUNTING! :D

Actually, it will only be 2199 for the Pirates.

Brewers Fan says it's been 3817 games since we've been to the playoffs.

Save the slugalo.

ok see you in 2020 :D

Yeah, you wish.

Actually it would be 2019 for those of us who can count, Tank. 2006, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18, 2019 would be 14 years and the equivalent of the Atlanta Braves 14 consecutive division titles if the Mets were to win 14 consecutive years.

ok see you in 2020 :D

Yeah, you wish.

Actually it would be 2019 for those of us who can count, Tank. 2006, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18, 2019 would be 14 years and the equivalent of the Atlanta Braves 14 consecutive division titles if the Mets were to win 14 consecutive years.

.... not like any of that matters.... even if the Mets win int division the next 14 seasons, the Marlins would probably get the Wild Card in couple of those seasons and win the World Series in those years :P

I saw, I came, I left.

Well, to be honest, while the Braves have been good during their run they haven't been THAT great. In 1991 they won the NL West by 1 game over Los Angeles and lost in the World Series to the Twins. In 1992 they won the division by 8 games and lost in the World Series to the Blue Jays. In 1993 the Braves won 104 games, which was arguably theie best regular season during their run of division titles. However, after this season when baseball went to three divisions and the wild card I think the Braves' division was not as hard to win. In 1994 the Expos looked like they were going to win the division as they were up by six games, but you never know. I think that starting in 1994 and having the one year removed from expansion Florida Marlins, the soon to be Expos who would be in limbo, the Phillies who were beginning their decline of not making the playoffs which is still going on today, and the Mets who did not make the playoffs from 1989-1998 and since 2001 the NL East has not been the toughest division to win in baseball. That's not to say the Braves' run of division titles is not impressive, but as soon as the Marlins became good, they had firesales, and the Expos were selling off players left and right and had no owner. Right there, that basically eliminates two teams from division contension. The Braves were always in the playoffs and probably should have won more than one World Series, but it never did surprise me that they only were able to win one World Series.

Is it true that now the Yankees will have the longest *current running* streak of Division wins?

If So, thanks Mets, now we get to listen to THAT crap.

If not, the Mets still play in "Flushing".

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

If So, thanks Mets, now we get to listen to THAT crap.

So it's the Mets fault that the Braves blow this year.

No, it's the Mets fault that while they're celebrating, all the fans of the other team in New York get more ammo as to why they are the best team in baseball.

Scratch that, best team in any sport, anywhere.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

last time I checked the Mets were the best team in baseball, but I am just basing that on their record compared to everyone else. I'm sure you'll probably find some excuse as to why I am wrong.

They play in the National League... they are the best team in the NL, not in baseball.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

They play in the National League... they are the best team in the NL, not in baseball.

As of 2308GMT...

Team W L Pct.

Mets 82 49 .626

Tigers 83 51 .619

Mets are the best team in MLB...by percentage points.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

sorry, i was under the impression that the best record in baseball meant you were the best team in baseball. i guess that's not the case.

Sadly, the AL is much better than the NL. The Tigers are playing IMO in the tuffest division in baseball they play teams like Chicago, the Twins, and Yankees. The Mets don't.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Archived