U.s. & canada

JQK

Why do I have this feeling that you flat out hate Canada and anything Canadian?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

If i flat out hated Canada and everything canadian, i would hate Hockey and that delicious bacon you guys have up there. I hate the political state of Canada,and to tell you the truth, i do not have a favorable view on most Canadian people. I have met some wonderful canadians via this board, i have also met some that are an example of why i don't really like our northern neighbor.

My dislike for Canada is not blind hatred...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I don't see why social differences are causing such a rift between the countries.  If Canada wants to go the way of the European, than so be it.  We still have a great relatonship with the British, don't we?  We shouldn't let the differences between us, cause hatred or contempt for one another.  Half of my family is from the Toronto area, My parents and grandparents are fresh off of the boat from Portugal (a European country) so I really get to see all sides of this and the fact that the US and Canada can't get along is asinine.  I think this is more political than anything else.  If there is something we don't agree on, then fine, we'll leave it at that.  Politicians are just stirring up emotions.  Now with that being said, I am not any less american.  I still love my country to DEATH.  This whol hate thing is stupid!

And that mistyped comment is about the best thing said in this thread.

true

And what's that supposed to mean???

To confirm, I assumed you mistyped "whole" as "whol" rather than outright misspelling it.  And as Josh said, "you are right, hate is stupid."

Nope sorry guys I really did just misspell it.  Kind of neat though.

Do I disagree with a lot of things our government does? Yes, case in point most of the issues mentioned in this article. Do I wish that in certain ways, Canada would be more like the U.S.? Absolutely. Do I love my country? Noo doot aboot it.

Honestly though, don't ever make fun of someone else's country. No matter where you live, your country has dione stupid things just the same as the next one. (Don't think there's some sort of stupidity wall that runs along the 49th parallel.)

Canada does some things better than the States too... it may be inefficient and far from perfect, but my health care is free! I love the idea of a cultural tapestry as opposed to a melting pot. My grandma hasn't gone into the poor house because she has to take a couple of different medications every day. I can openly disagree with my government, a democratic staple, without being labelled 'unpatriotic'. And although we've 'slipped' to eighth this year (in fairness, 1 behind the US), over the previous 12 years, Canada has been ranked #1 9 times in the UN's Best Countries in which to Live list (in a row in fact... '92-2000).

Canada is far from being perfect. I wish it was better, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Do I disagree with a lot of things our government does? Yes, case in point most of the issues mentioned in this article. Do I wish that in certain ways, Canada would be more like the U.S.? Absolutely. Do I love my country? Noo doot aboot it.

Honestly though, don't ever make fun of someone else's country. No matter where you live, your country has dione stupid things just the same as the next one. (Don't think there's some sort of stupidity wall that runs along the 49th parallel.)

Canada does some things better than the States too... it may be inefficient and far from perfect, but my health care is free! I love the idea of a cultural tapestry as opposed to a melting pot. My grandma hasn't gone into the poor house because she has to take a couple of different medications every day. I can openly disagree with my government, a democratic staple, without being labelled 'unpatriotic'. And although we've 'slipped' to eighth this year (in fairness, 1 behind the US), over the previous 12 years, Canada has been ranked #1 9 times in the UN's Best Countries in which to Live list (in a row in fact... '92-2000).

Canada is far from being perfect. I wish it was better, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

And i'm with you on that. DO i think America is perfect? No, but i also wouldn't want to live anywhere else. What bugs me is the sense of superiority that a majority of Canadians seem to have. They feel that their way is the only way, and the fact that America doesn't have that lousy healthcare system they do, and that we actually enforce our drug laws, and that we still have a sense of morality, we are somehow Nazi's and bullies.

Now i have said most of the canadians i have met have been through this board, and i have to say that almost every single one has been great, and fun to know, and also very fun to debate the differences with (i love debate). There are the exceptions though, and that is unfourtunate.

I understand i'm not the easiest guy to get along with. I am very opinionated, and when i get all heated up about a topic, my mouth more often gets me into trouble more than anything else. But after a while oftalking, hopefull my points are understood, and we can leave friends. My "Canada Sucks" comments were out of line, i was making a statement out of a moment of rage. But i do have several problems with the Political and social issues ofthat country... and that iswhat this thread is about, discussing those issues...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

*puts on his Team Canada Jersey, Pulls his tuque on, Opens a Molson and steps on his Soap Box*

My American neighbours please understand that we don't think we are superiour to you (that would mean we have officially be come European, and i mean thinking we are superiour while not actually being :laugh: ). Do I have problems with the American Culture, yes, do I have problems with the Canadian Culture, damn skippy I do. But I will defend to the death that people should be allowed to marry who they want male or female, that healthcare should be free for everyman, woman or child no matter what the problem is or how much they make. I believe that sometimes the best way to solve a dispute is peace keeping, not sending in an army. Is force needed in some instances yes, however it looks bad when you force the hand that you earlier dealt. Face it boys, Sadaam was your friend till he bit the hand that fed him.

But back to my point about the "Canadian Superiority" I think it stems from our need to find our own identity. If you read that article that JQK posted, the one guy makes an excellent point that for the longest time people thought it was a matter of time till Canada was saying the pledge of allegiance and saluting "Old Glory". Now we are searching for our own voice and we are sick of being the "US" little brother that begs to be taken everywhere.

As for the our new drug policies its not like we are a giant Bob Marley concert. New policies are being put into effect to help the people with medicinal marijauna but with that its allowing people that have very small amounts on them to not ruin their entire lives with legal problems. I for one wouldn't touch the stuff with a ten foot clown pole, but i gurantee a guy thats high will be too busy laughing at the balls than trying to kick my ass if i beat him at pool instead of the drunken gorillas that usually want to fight.

so really, why can't we all just get along

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

*puts on his Team Canada Jersey, Pulls his tuque on, Opens a Molson and steps on his Soap Box*

My American neighbours please understand that we don't think we are superiour to you (that would mean we have officially be come European, and i mean thinking we are superiour while not actually being :laugh: ). Do I have problems with the American Culture, yes, do I have problems with the Canadian Culture, damn skippy I do. But I will defend to the death that people should be allowed to marry who they want male or female, that healthcare should be free for everyman, woman or child no matter what the problem is or how much they make. I believe that sometimes the best way to solve a dispute is peace keeping, not sending in an army. Is force needed in some instances yes, however it looks bad when you force the hand that you earlier dealt. Face it boys, Sadaam was your friend till he bit the hand that fed him.

But back to my point about the "Canadian Superiority" I think it stems from our need to find our own identity. If you read that article that JQK posted, the one guy makes an excellent point that for the longest time people thought it was a matter of time till Canada was saying the pledge of allegiance and saluting "Old Glory". Now we are searching for our own voice and we are sick of being the "US" little brother that begs to be taken everywhere.

As for the our new drug policies its not like we are a giant Bob Marley concert. New policies are being put into effect to help the people with medicinal marijauna but with that its allowing people that have very small amounts on them to not ruin their entire lives with legal problems. I for one wouldn't touch the stuff with a ten foot clown pole, but i gurantee a guy thats high will be too busy laughing at the balls than trying to kick my ass if i beat him at pool instead of the drunken gorillas that usually want to fight.

so really, why can't we all just get along

I have only one thing to say about that.

WOO!

Archived