A question about team names

charger77

Does a team owe the city or state money for naming rights?

For example, to the Toronto Maple Leafs owe the City money for using Toronto in its logo and merchandise? The could just as easily be The Mapel Leafs?

This isnt a Toronto specific question. It applies to all sports teams.

Just Curious

Thanks,

Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I seem to remember when the Bears were talking about moving to da burbs a few years back that Mayor Dailey threatened to take legal action preventing the team from using the name Chicago unless they played within the city limits.

That is the only type of leverage thing that I can think of, and despite some of his corrupt actions I side with Da Mayor on this one.

fade.gif

Does a team owe the city or state money for naming rights?

For example, to the Toronto Maple Leafs owe the City money for using Toronto in its logo and merchandise? The could just as easily be The Mapel Leafs?

This isnt a Toronto specific question. It applies to all sports teams.

Just Curious

Thanks,

Dan

You would think the City of Dallas would have something like that, especially since the 'Boys play in Irving (which however is in Dallas County) and they're about to move to Arlington (which is in Tarrant County, not Dallas)

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

Yeah, offthepost, there was some legal wrangling. The Angels wanted to be called "Los Angeles" because it sounds cooler, but the city of Anaheim didn't like it, since they play in Anaheim (and I believe it says in their contract that they have to be Anaheim) so they just did both.

Therefore, the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

In general terms, the answer is an unequivocal "No."

Think about it - does Boston Market have to shell out to the city of New York because they have locations there? Of course not. Pro sports teams are no different...

UNLESS...

they have a contractual agreement that stipulates the team will have a specific name, such as the Angels deal with the City of Anaheim to use their stadium.

nav-logo.png

The city of Anaheim helped pay for the ballpark down there (I believe) and as part of the agreement on the lease, the team was required to use "Anaheim" in its team name for 15 years or something. The ownership wanted to move in more on the greater Los Angeles market, though, and tried to weasel out of the deal. It resulted in the ridiculous Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim moniker, which satisfied the courts somehow.

I seem to remember when the Bears were talking about moving to da burbs a few years back that Mayor Dailey threatened to take legal action preventing the team from using the name Chicago unless they played within the city limits.

That is the only type of leverage thing that I can think of, and despite some of his corrupt actions I side with Da Mayor on this one.

That strategy worked out well for Anaheim, don't you think? :therock:

metslogo_215.gif

Archived