A nighmare for the ncaa

NJTank

With Oklahoma being blown out whats going to happen now?

Who will get screwed out of going to the Sugar Bowl?

if Im LSU or USC and OKlahoma still goes to the Sugar Bowl after losing 35-7 Id lodge a formal protest. Oklahoma is not a confernce champ they should be teh odd team out, if they still to Sugar Bowl after tehir loss to K-State it will prove how bad teh BCS real is.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THis is the best thing that could happen. There are 3 teams who have a legitimate claim to the Sugar Bowl, when only two can go. This is what college football fans have been dying for. BCS Chaos. According to preliminary BCS calculations done by the people of ESPN, if Oklahoma falls to number 3 in the AP and Coaches Polls, they will still end up #1 in the BCS, with LSU being #2, and USC being the odd man out. These calculations, as stated on ESPN, are EXTREMELY premature and are not to be taken as official or set in stone.

We can only hope that this will somehow lead to the end of the BCS, and the birth of a Division I-A Playoff.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Oklahoma has NO legitimate claim to the Sugar Bowl. They did not win their conference, they should not be eligible to play for the national title. Imagine if Boston was allowed to advance to the World Series even though the Yankees beat them for the American League Championship because Boston had a better strength-of-schedule ranking, and several people voted them as a better team because they would rather see Boston get into the series than New York. It's the same scenario. Anything but LSU-USC will make the BCS an even bigger joke than it already is...

Having said that, I don't want a playoff either. I was quite happy with the way things were before this whole BCS crap came out. A Pac-10 title and subsequent trip to the Rose Bowl were all I needed out of a college football season, but I guess I'm definitely in the minority on this one...

What we had before the BCS was co-national champions and even more chaos than we have now. Oklahoma DOES have a claim to the Sugar Bowl, as they are 12-1, as is LSU, and USC has an equal claim at 11-1. College Football is set up in a way that winning a Conference championship is not nessecary to move on the the National Championship. Remember Nebraska in the 2002 Rose Bowl? They hadn't won their Conference championship, yet they jumped over Colorado (the team that beat them in the Big XII Championship) and Oregon to get into the national championship, and they proceded to get crushed by Miami.

The BCS, it sucks, that is true, but it IS better than what we had before, but it is not as good as a playoff...

3 teams, 2 spots. This is going to be fun to debate...

sB9ijEj.png

College Football is set up in a way that winning a Conference championship is not nessecary to move on the the National Championship.

But under this system, it really should be (outside of being an independent).

I wholeheartedly agree--if Divisions III, II, and I-AA can have a playoff, why not I-A?  Oh, wait, we already know the answer to that.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The BCS is set up so that the whole season is taken into account, not just one game. So to the BCS computers, conference championship games are irrelevant. All it sees is records (OU 12-1 | LSU 12-1 | USC 11-1), strength of schedule, and the polls. When losses occered are not factored in.

sB9ijEj.png

The late loss can kill them only in the human polls. If they fall to at least #3, they will most likely still remain #1. I dunno what will happen if they go to #4 in the polls, the BCS math has most scholars befuddled, but i will bet anything that the Sugar Bowl will be Oklahoma-LSU and SC will be left out, and will have every single right to complain. If LSU is the one left out, they have every right to complain, and if OU is left out, they too have every right to complain, There are three deserving teams, each one has a stake to the Sugar Bowl.

Hopefully, This will piss off a A.D. at one of the schools to a point to rally people to get a playoff, and one can only hope he can convince big-conference schools to agree.

sB9ijEj.png

Having said that, I don't want a playoff either. I was quite happy with the way things were before this whole BCS crap came out. A Pac-10 title and subsequent trip to the Rose Bowl were all I needed out of a college football season, but I guess I'm definitely in the minority on this one...

You know, that thought had never really occured to me. But for many teams this still exists. The obvious bias towards certin teams, either by locale or tradition, is always going to hurt the game when it comes to people behind desks determining the winners via polls, whatever.  These guys can't pick half the games right in the NFL, when there are only 32 teams. I would venture to guess in the conference that I watch alone, Ohio State, Michigan could get into the championship game with a solid record in any year, and teams like northwestern, Illinois, Wisconsin, having the same record in any given year, would be expected to settle for a Rose Bowl berth.  

At this point it's not about convincing the people in charge if it's the right thing to do (playoffs), but find a way to show them that they can profit as much or more then they currently do.

A playoff at this level would make people forget about "March Madness"

Let's cut the BS and just have a playoff for the Championship. Or drop the "national champions" title anyway, because anything not decided on the field is not decided.

Play RBI Baseball 2K9 @ http://league.rbicentral.com

I was there last night, and OU is not the #1 team.  Of course K-State's claims of being #1 are far fetched with 3 losses.

I agree Oklahoma has NO legitimate claim to the Sugar Bowl now that they lost, in a blow out fashion.

My friends and I discussed that fact there needs to be a playoff system & keeping the BCS bowls - Senerio:  take your top four teams, the way it's going you always have 3 or so teams with a loss, use the BCS rankings and play in late Dec. the 4 teams in the "what ever bowls" (rotate the cotton, rose, orange, sugar, fiesta, etc.) for the first round then play your championship game the next week, new years day or the day after for the title (again rotating the bowl games around every year, so everyone hosts the title game).

On a personal note; the atmosphere at Arrowhead stadium, 79,400+ people there, was electric.  Very exciting and it was great to be at the game.  I was impartial, really not rooting for either team, however my Dad did his graduate work @ K-State.  Being from Kansas, it was nice to see Bill Snyder get a well deserved win like that.  I really like Bob Stoops, met him at a coaches clinic he presented in Norman, OK and Dallas.  Great coach and a great human being, really took time to answer my questions.  I really like OU's offensive style.

I see LSU & USC in the Sugar Bowl and OU going Orange Bowl vs Miami.  They may get the Cotton Bowl vs Mississippi-ouch!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Just a note on the game tickets;  One of my football players dad's took myself and a couple of my coaches, as guests to the game (free ticket).  The face value of the ticket was $75, but scalpers were getting as much as $500 for a single ticket. :o

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

According to all the polls out, and using the BCS calculations, ESPNEWS is predicting that The Nokia Sugar Bowl will be Oklahoma vs LSU. The Rose Bowl will be USC vs Michigan. The Orange Bowl will be Miami vs Ohio State. And the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl will be Florida State vs Kansas State.

This is not official. let me say again, as they are constantly saying on ESPNEWS, but it sure looks like how things will end up. USC can still end up co-national champion though. They are #1 in both polls. Now the Coaches poll is bound by the BCS to name the winner of the BCS championship game it's automatic #1. The AP poll doesn't have to do that. So if USC wins against Michigan, and they are polled at #1 in the AP poll, they will have a claim to the National Championship, which is what the BCS was established to avoid. So wether you like them or not, root for USC, they are the key to bringing down the BCS...

sB9ijEj.png

You've got it flip-flopped, JQK; the AP poll is the one not bound by the BCS to name the winner of the title game the national champion, the coaches' poll is.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Let's see here...

Sugar Bowl: Big 12 vs. SEC

Rose Bowl: Big Ten vs. Pac-10 (horray...a bowl staying the way it's supposed to!)

Orange Bowl: Big East vs. Big Ten

Fiesta Bowl: ACC vs. Big 12

Once again, no C-USA, no MAC, no Mountain West, no WAC, and no Sun Belt anywhere in the picture. Yet, in these conferences there are nationally ranked teams, and they've won more than their fair share of games against schools from the "major" conferences.

That right there is enough explination for a 1-A playoff...heck, in basketball, the winners of conferences like the Southland and MAAC get a shot to go toe-to-toe with the powerhouses for the national championship...

no no no. you guys have got this all wrong. does the BCS suck? certainly. but are playoffs the answer? no way.

playoffs would ruin the thing that makes college football my favorite sport and the favorite sport of so many others all over the nation.

in college football the regular season means more than any other sport in north america. take college basketball for an example. i love march madness as much as the next guy, but one can argue that the regular season in college ball means anything. its nothing more than a fight to jsut qualify for the tourney. that works for college bball but it would not work for college football. playoffs, unless extremly narrowly tailored, would ruin the best element of the sport.

take this year as an example. in a situation where we had a playoff. the top several teams wouldnt have to play as hard the last couple of weeks knowing that all was up for grabs was perhaps a higher seed. do u think LSU and USC would have played as hard this weekend if they knew they were pretty much allready in the playoffs? no they wouldnt have risked injury. then issue #2, there is still a cut off. lets say we take 4 teams, OU, LSU, USC are in. but who's #4? michigan, texas and tennessee all have good claims. theres still gonna be BCS-like controversy. playoffs will not solve anything, playoffs will step all over tradition (and we know how everyone here loves tradition) sure the BCS as it stands blows. but it is better than the old system and it just needs to be tweaked [ie: get rid of the *@#! computers]. non college football people clamor for playoffs without realizing it would ruin the sport. ya know what USC? if you dont lose to Cal, ur in with no controversy. pete caroll even said it himself. in college football the regular season is the playoffs, lets keep it that way.

But what good is the regular season when 20 of the teams have a legitimate shot of getting in with 1 or 2 losses and the other 100 or so are screwed even if they go undefeated and blow everybody out?

Real college football realize that it's possible for a Northern Illinois or Boise State to win the national championship, in football in particular.

Archived