Santa Fe Roadrunner Beer Petition

mfoster

Every little bit helps... Santa Fe is a Junior A team in the NAHL.

http://www.petitiononline.com/sfrr2006/petition.html

To: Santa Fe City Government

BEER SALES AT SANTA FE HOCKEY GAMES

The Santa Fe Roadrunners Hockey Team, along with the Santa Fe Brewing Company, both of Santa Fe, New Mexico, recently asked the City Council of Santa Fe to allow for the responsible and secure sales of beer during Roadrunners hockey games. The 8 City Council members came with their minds already made up, claiming the vast majority of their constituents were against the idea, and that the sale of alcohol in a community facility was something that should be discouraged. We feel that with the following provisions, the sale of beer should be permitted:

1. Beer sales and consumption take place exclusively in a secured area.

2. Beer sales monitored by the professional and experienced servers from the Santa Fe Brewing Company.

3. Additional security in place, paid for by team.

4. Each patron limited to 3 beverages, monitored by wristband.

5. Beer sales cease at end of 2nd intermission.

6. Approval is on a contingency basis... the first time that SFPD is called to handle an issue directly related to the sale of beer at the game, then the permit is revoked for the season.

The sale of beer at an athletic contest is as commonplace as cotton candy and hot dogs. For the City Council to deny permission to sell beer at our games is unfair, and without legal substance. Of the 17 teams in the NAHL (of which the Santa Fe Roadrunners are a 3rd year member), 12 others play in similar city or county owned facilities and they each have beer sales.

By signing this petition, you are stating your support for the provisional approval of beer sales ONLY during Roadrunners hockey games at the Genoveva Chavez Community Center in Santa Fe, NM.

The Santa Fe Roadrunners hockey team is not asking anyone to change any laws, spend any money, or take any risks. We simply are actiing in response to requests from people and businesses in the community of Santa Fe.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

Marc

Marc, I respectfully dissent. Beer and JUNIOR hockey shouldn't necessarily go hand-in-hand. I'm surprised that 12 other NAHL venues serve, to be honest with you.

Your enforcement and compliance schemes are very well thought-out my friend, however it seems to me that they'd also be very expensive to carry out as intended. There may also be some very expensive insurance considerations that you're not contemplating in this situation. It simply might not be a cost-effective option to obtain the necessary additional insurance, and assuming that the facility chooses to pass those costs on strictly to the consumers of beer, the price of a single serving might severely diminish the interest in purchasing the suds in the first place.

Using the labors of 16-18 year old kids to sell beer just doesn't jibe right with me.

It's ok.

Maybe this will make the 'Runners move to another town next season. One without a team currently. One with a good arena ready to go. One with a good solid existing fan base.

I can't think of the name of this town. Damn that memory. :)

Wichita?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

It's ok.

Maybe this will make the 'Runners move to another town next season. One without a team currently. One with a good arena ready to go. One with a good solid existing fan base.

Happens to the best of us... Try putting a bucket over your head, see if that helps. :)

Marc

I've never understood the majority of sports fans' dependence on alcohol to enjoy the sport.

But if you wanna waste all that money getting drunk and ruin the times of those around you, go ahead, i suppose.

:P

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

^ I've always believed that they price gouge at sports events so that people won't drink as much. I don't mind a tall frosty beer when I'm hanging out with the bos watching some hockey, but I can put it down, do what I want with it, I've never been one to want one at a live event, you have too much going on.

Plus I'm a cheap prick and don't feel like shelling out 8 bucks for a bottle of Ex

I've never understood the majority of sports fans' dependence on alcohol to enjoy the sport.

But if you wanna waste all that money getting drunk and ruin the times of those around you, go ahead, i suppose.

:P

Me Neither I understand they even waterdown stadium beer too, so its really a bad value.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

It's ok.

Happens to the best of us... Try putting a bucket over your head, see if that helps. :)

Marc

I get that. Good one.

Using the labors of 16-18 year old kids to sell beer just doesn't jibe right with me.

Excellent point there Yale.

If you don't see alcohol sold at high school sporting events, why should one expect it sold at a junior hockey game?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Me neither.

Don't get me wrong, I am a full advocate of drinking.

BUT

I will never understand this American paradox:

Stadiums/arenas/and local bars sell alcohol to people who HAVE to drive to the stadium/arena/local bar to get drunk. It is physically impossible to not drink and drive.

The only cities, that I know of, that have good public transportation to their stadiums are:

NYC

Boston

Montreal

Toronto

Chicago

Portland

Anywhere else?

Me neither.

Don't get me wrong, I am a full advocate of drinking.

BUT

I will never understand this American paradox:

Stadiums/arenas/and local bars sell alcohol to people who HAVE to drive to the stadium/arena/local bar to get drunk. It is physically impossible to not drink and drive.

The only cities, that I know of, that have good public transportation to their stadiums are:

NYC

Boston

Montreal

Toronto

Chicago

Portland

Anywhere else?

Washington D.C.

Vancouver B.C. (unless you're going to a Giants game)

San Diego

I get that. Good one.

Ya... It's my way of letting you know I'm in the loop. Ultimately, whether it's the Roadrunners or not, I think you'll be getting a team next year one way or another.

As for the beer issue... I'm cheap... I don't pay for overpriced beer. As a broadcaster (hey, my tongue needed lubrication), I either "borrowed" it from the owner's box or let the parents/fans buy it.

Marc

I remember I was at the Molson Centre (back when the Bell Centre was the Molson Centre Molson is such a cooler name, dont you think?) I was watching a Montreal Rocket v. Le Drakkar QMJHL I remember all the Beer sales goin' on that night..the beer lines were full of people some I had to question if they were even 18. but than again thats Quebec..different story..heh

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

Although this doesn't apply to junior hockey, my local rink has a tournament sponsored by Labatt. It's by far the most entertaining hockey I've seen. It's the only time I've seen someone fall over at the opening faceoff, hitting his head on the ice(he was ok, I might add).

But on-topic. Although your regulations are well thought out and would work, I don't think junior hockey and alcohol seem to go together. I'm not opposed to it, but I see the point of those who do.

Archived