You Make the Call: Coaching Edition

WJMorris3

Alright. You are the head coach of the Oakland Raiders against the Detroit Lions. You are up 21-20 with 2:10 left in the fourth quarter. It is fourth and six at your own 40. (The Lions had used their final timeout on third down.) You call for the punting unit. Shane Lechler boots the ball deep to Az-Hazir Hakim, who signals for a fair catch at his 15.

The ball goes right through his arms, contacting him, and bounces towards the end zone. Jarrod Cooper scoops the ball up at the 2 and runs into the end zone with 1:57 left. The refs signal a touchdown. 27-20 Raiders.

Now, what is the most prudent course of action to take, to help ensure your chances of victory?

LvZYtbZ.png

Alright. You are the head coach of the Oakland Raiders against the Detroit Lions. You are up 21-20 with 2:10 left in the fourth quarter. It is fourth and six at your own 40. (The Lions had used their final timeout on third down.) You call for the punting unit. Shane Lechler boots the ball deep to Az-Hazir Hakim, who signals for a fair catch at his 15.

The ball goes right through his arms, contacting him, and bounces towards the end zone. Jarrod Cooper scoops the ball up at the 2 and runs into the end zone with 1:57 left. The refs signal a touchdown. 27-20 Raiders.

Now, what is the most prudent course of action to take, to help ensure your chances of victory?

(Reminisces of watching Az Hakim play for the Rams...) Kick the extra point, then kick it deep to Az Hakim again. Chances are he'll muff it again.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Because it's a muffed punt it can't be advanced, so therefore what I would do is take possession at the 2, take three knees and run out the clock.

EDIT: Putting it into the correct "coaches call" here...

If need be as the coach, I use a challenge claiming that Hakim never had possession of the ball, making it a muffed punt (not able to be advanced) as opposed to a fumble. Then I take three knees and end the game.

assume when you first recovered there is sitll under 2 minutes right?

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

But if its at like 2:01 then you kneel, clock stops at like 1:58, then 1:14, then :32 sec, and then the game would be over, nevermind then.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

wait a minute.

so 13 seconds tick off the clock, right? what's that? 1 to 2 seconds for the snap and punt, 1 to 2 seconds for the ball to go through Hakim's arms, and the recovery of the ball by the Raiders, and an improbable 9 to 11 seconds of hangtime?

this scenario is ridiculous. the lions would never be that close in the 4th quarter.

If I were the coach, I'd throw the ball right to Dre' Bly, allowing him to run it back for the TD to win the game. :D

Has Bly ever run a touchdown back for a game-winning TD? :P

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

wait a minute.

so 13 seconds tick off the clock, right? what's that? 1 to 2 seconds for the snap and punt, 1 to 2 seconds for the ball to go through Hakim's arms, and the recovery of the ball by the Raiders, and an improbable 9 to 11 seconds of hangtime?

I guess you didn't hear...the Raiders re-signed Ray Guy to a one-year contract

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

wait a minute.

this scenario is ridiculous. the lions would never be that close in the 4th quarter.

I think the point he was trying to make is that the play started before the 2 minute warning and stopped because of it.

Also, I can't stop laughing as this scenario has a punt hanging in the air for no less than about 8 seconds and the most improbable thing is that the Lions wouldn't be in the game, and against the Raiders no less.

If I were the coach, I'd throw the ball right to Dre' Bly, allowing him to run it back for the TD to win the game. :D

I doubt it, but he was the first guy in the Detroit secondary I could think of. Perhaps he could pitch it to the Boss and simply clear the way for a TD?

Your situation is now impossible:

Lions release Hakim

I doubt it, but he was the first guy in the Detroit secondary I could think of. Perhaps he could pitch it to the Boss and simply clear the way for a TD?

Your situation is now impossible:

Lions release Hakim

Gee, it only took Martz 7 games to relearn what he learned over the course of 3 years with him. (Hakim sucks).

True anecdote-I went to watch the Rams training camp the offseason after they cut Hakim. When I saw that Torry Holt had laid claim to Hakim's jersey number, I was honestly afraid that he would start dropping passes because the jersey number had absorbed Hakim's incompetence.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived