Miami Hurricanes DE Killed

TFoA

Bryan Pata, a starting DE for the Miami Hurricanes, was shot and killed earlier today.

No link yet, but there should be one. All I've got to say is, condolences and prayers to his family, and the team. This is another blow to this program.

I just had a friend - who goes to Miami - verify the report.

And so does ESPN.com...

Miami's Pata Shot To Death

University of Miami defensive tackle Bryan Pata was shot and killed Tuesday night at an apartment complex in Miami. Pata, a senior, is from Miami. Police had no other details.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

Wow. Now I don't know what happend to Pata but this program has to fix it self. The brawl with FIU, and all the arrests, and now this. If it was an accident, If he was just a bystander totally innocent, I am sorry, but come on. The Administration there in Miami has to fix this by curfus, no guns, no drugs, and no underage drinking or you will be kicked out of the program and you will lose you scholarship.

I give my condolances to his family and friends.

saBS.png

I just saw an update on ESPN which said they had information from a Miami police officer that Pata was killed shortly after practice.

Sad situation, unfortunantly it seems more and more players seem to be getting into these situations. I know ASU had an incident just a few years back where an ex player shot and killed another player. Sad times.

Thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family however.

PopHeading-1.gif

Miami DE Bryan Pata shot and killed

By Tim Reynolds, AP Sports Writer

University of Miami defensive end Bryan Pata was shot and killed Tuesday night, shortly after leaving the practice field, according to a university official with knowledge of the situation.

The official, speaking on condition of anonymity because a formal announcement still was being prepared by the university, had no knowledge of the circumstances surrounding Pata's death.

Miami-Dade police refused to release specific information about what happened.

Hurricanes lineman shot, killed following practice

by ESPN.com news services

University of Miami defensive end Bryan Pata was shot and killed Tuesday night, shortly after leaving the practice field, school officials said.

The circumstances around Pata's death were not immediately clear, and Miami-Dade police refused to release specific information about what happened. A formal announcement was expected from the university later Tuesday.

"Right now, we're just gathering ourselves and just trying to pull ourselves together," Miami athletic director Paul Dee said.

A woman who answered the telephone at Pata's mother's home, who identified herself as the player's cousin, said Pata was shot to death.

"They just shot him dead," Tonya Casimir said. "He's gone."

Casimir said Miami-Dade County Police haven't told Pata's family any details about the shooting.

"They're not saying anything to nobody yet," Casimir said.

Pata, a graduate of Miami Central High School, was in his fourth year with the Hurricanes. He appeared in 41 games, making 23 starts, and was expected to be selected in next spring's NFL draft. The 6-foot-4, 280-pound senior took over the starting role at left defensive end for head coach Larry Coker over the latter part of the 2004 season and had held it since.

It was at least the fourth time that tragedy involving a player has struck the Hurricanes in recent years.

In April 1996, reserve linebacker and Miami native Marlin Barnes was murdered in a campus apartment. In 2003, former Miami safety Al Blades was killed in a car accident, about a year after former Miami linebacker Chris Campbell -- who just had completed his eligibility with the Hurricanes -- also died in a crash.

Pata's death was the second incident involving guns this season for the Hurricanes.

In July, reserve safety Willie Cooper was shot in the buttocks when confronted in his yard before an early-morning workout. Cooper was not seriously injured. Brandon Meriweather, one of Cooper's teammates and roommates, returned fire at Cooper's assailant, taking three shots that apparently missed, police said.

Several Miami players, including Pata, said that incident was a robbery attempt and cautioned other teammates to always be aware of their surroundings.

"We're targets because we play for the University of Miami. ... These guys, they know who we are," Miami linebacker Jon Beason said shortly after the Cooper shooting.

That incident prompted Coker to say he did not want his players to have guns, even if they possessed them legally.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

In July, reserve safety Willie Cooper was shot in the buttocks when confronted in his yard before an early-morning workout. Cooper was not seriously injured. Brandon Meriweather, one of Cooper's teammates and roommates, returned fire at Cooper's assailant, taking three shots that apparently missed, police said.

I don't claim to know anything about the situation or about Pata as an individual, and it is certainly a tragedy that he was killed. But all I can think is that when you have players getting in confrontations and "returning fire", sooner or later something bad is going to happen. Let's get this straight- Meriweather FIRED A GUN AT SOMEONE, and he is still enrolled in school there (not to mention the FIU stomping thing)?

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Archived