Put your "new" wha thinking caps on...

Brian in Boston

And what would the NHL have to gain by not selling off the name? It's useless otherwise (unless there's some plot afoot to relocate the Avs back there that I'm not privy too...)

What would the NHL have to gain?  How about all the marketing and merchandising associated with the Quebec Nordiques name and logos?  That's a pretty good chunk of change these days considering the current retro phase.

Well, hold on a dad-blamed minute!

Whatever happened to Winnipeg?

Bobby Hull said, and I quote:

"Winnipeg is at the top of our list."

Why would the Golden Jet skip over the franchise that was practically NAMED for him?

BTW, go Nords! Whoo!

The Manitoba Moose of the American Hockey League are the exclusive hockey tenants of the new Northern Lights Centre in Winnipeg once it is completed.  It sounds as if the old Winnipeg Arena will be torn down.  With no long term arena plans for a WHA franchise in Winnipeg it would be pointless to entertain the possibility.  Besides, has any potential ownership group from Winnipeg come forward to express interest?

Well, hold on a dad-blamed minute!

Whatever happened to Winnipeg?

Bobby Hull said, and I quote:

"Winnipeg is at the top of our list."

Why would the Golden Jet skip over the franchise that was practically NAMED for him?

BTW, go Nords! Whoo!

The Manitoba Moose of the American Hockey League are the exclusive hockey tenants of the new Northern Lights Centre in Winnipeg once it is completed. It sounds as if the old Winnipeg Arena will be torn down. With no long term arena plans for a WHA franchise in Winnipeg it would be pointless to entertain the possibility. Besides, has any potential ownership group from Winnipeg come forward to express interest?

Good reporting, just a few minor corrections...

The Moose are the exclusive tenants of the True North Centre, which interesting enough, will be named the MTS Centre upon completion, as was unveiled two days ago.

MTS is Manitoba Telecom Services, the only Manitoba phone service provider which has branched out into DSL internet and stuff...

I don't think Winnipeg is very interested... the Moose hold whatever non-NHL interest exists, and if not the NHL, I wouldn't mind seeing a WHL team... WHA would be cool, but I see it more as competition for the AHL, which we've already got, rather than WHL or NHL competition. If that changes, so may my opinion.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I think Detroit is a better market for 2 teams than St. Louis, Oakland, Minneapolis, Chicago and ESPECIALLY Phoenix. When Karmonos bought the Whalers, his first plan was to find a way to move them to suburban Detroit, namely the Palace of Auburn Hills, home of the Pistons. The Wings claimed exclusive territorial rights to the area in regards to an NHL team. They would not have the same rights if it was a different league. When we had the IHL Vipers at the Palace it did great while the teams were half way decent. Then, they started to suck really bad and attendence followed. That would be a grerat place for a team. It was great when the Vipers had Satan, Samsonov, and Bondra (not all at the same time).

I just wonder where the hell the Detroit team would play. Not at the Joe, Ilitch would block them out. Same for the Palace with Davidson, I would think, since an NHL owner wouldn't want to support a WHA team in any way. Does Cobo still have ice? I didn't think it did. Ford Field or the Silverdome, like the Toronto team that would be in SkyDome? Of those two it would have to be the Silverdome as it'd be too expensive to put up and take down ice around the Lions schedule at Ford Field.

i know Wayne State's hockey team plays at the State Fair Coliseum. Maybe if Detroit got a WHA franchise, they could play there....not a bad place to see a game, and a fairly central location for all the suburbanites that don't want to get dirtied by the inner city.

I just wonder where the hell the Detroit team would play. Not at the Joe, Ilitch would block them out. Same for the Palace with Davidson, I would think, since an NHL owner wouldn't want to support a WHA team in any way. Does Cobo still have ice? I didn't think it did. Ford Field or the Silverdome, like the Toronto team that would be in SkyDome? Of those two it would have to be the Silverdome as it'd be too expensive to put up and take down ice around the Lions schedule at Ford Field.

Cobo still has ice making capabilities, but I think Cobo is part of the Illitch owned Olympia Arenas group. If they aren't part of that group, then I'm sure that the city would not want to do anything to draw Mr. Illitch's ire. Besides that, about once a year the rumor starts that Cobo will be rebuilt as the new home of the Red Wings, and JLA will be razed or somehow completely changed. And Joel's right, the State Fair Coliseum would be a good fit, assuming the capacity is good enough.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

Cobo still has ice making capabilities, but I think Cobo is part of the Illitch owned Olympia Arenas group. If they aren't part of that group, then I'm sure that the city would not want to do anything to draw Mr. Illitch's ire. Besides that, about once a year the rumor starts that Cobo will be rebuilt as the new home of the Red Wings, and JLA will be razed or somehow completely changed. And Joel's right, the State Fair Coliseum would be a good fit, assuming the capacity is good enough.

I've always heard that rumor as the Joe will be razed so that Cobo can be expanded and a new Wings arena would be build  behind the Fox Theater.  Supposedly Ilitch owns a bunch of land there.

Olympia Entertainment does have control of Cobo according to their (absolutely hideous, what the hell does SV3 get paid for?) Web site, I didn't know that.

I've never been to State Fair Coliseum, and I can't find it's capacity anywhere on the Web.  Wayne State's site says that their hockey teams play at Taylor Sportsplex, Compuware Sports Arena (which the WHA can't go into, even if it seated more than 3500 for hockey), and City Sports Arena.

Whatever venue the WHA might be looking at in Detroit, it can't have nearly the capacity of the Joe or the Palace, which makes me wonder what venues other cities are looking at using.  It seems like they'll have at least one team in a baseball/football stadium and others in college-sized rinks.  Doesn't seem to make sense.

Birmingham, Alabama

Chicago, Illinois

Cincinnati, Ohio

Cleveland, Ohio

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Hamilton, Ontario

Jacksonville, Florida

Miami, Florida

Orlando, Florida

Phoenix, Arizona

Portland, Oregon

Quebec City, Quebec

San Francisco/Oakland, California (Their designation... not mine.)

St. Louis, Missouri

Toronto, Ontario

Vancouver, British Columbia

Of the sixteen cities, ten "committed" to participating in the league's inaugural season: Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Hamilton, Orlando, Portland, Quebec City, St. Louis, Toronto and an unnamed Canadian city that will play host to a team comprised entirely of Russian players. Said city will be determined and announced at a later date.

So... what happened to the previously announced franchise sites of Phoenix and Minneapolis? Phoenix was in attendance, but wasn't listed as an inaugural season site. Minneapolis wasn't represented at the meetings. Given the league's past announcements about shooting for teams in twelve markets, as well as the previous naming of Phoenix and Minneapolis as franchise sites, are we to assume that Phoenix and Minneapolis are, in fact, in?

Oh... here's a good one: the Toronto-based franchise is reportedly exploring playing its games at SkyDome! Does that sound like a good idea to ANYBODY?!?!? And is Toronto ready for its THIRD professional hockey team?

But enough about the details. It's time to put our thinking caps on and brainstorm identity packages for these squads. Will the teams in former WHA markets simply adopt the names of their original WHA franchises? Will they use similar logos? Can we assume that the NHL aquired the Nordiques name in its merger with the original WHA, and if so, where does that leave the "new" WHA's Quebec franchise?

Brian in Boston

Nickname Ideas Some old Some new

Birmingham Bears (in honor of legendary Bama Football Coach Bear Bryant even though its hockeys it fits.)

Chicago Wolfs (Resurect the IHL name)

Cincinnati Stingers and oldie but goodie

Cleveland Barons (the name of Cleveland's hockey teams)

Halifax Vikings (In honor of teh Nord explorer who hit land in Eastern Canada)

Hamilton Tigers (In honor of the old NHL team from the 20's)

Jacksonville NO

Miami, Florida NO

Orlando, Florida NO

Phoenix, Arizona NO

Can the WHA choose otehr places please there is no need for sunbelt teams without first going to Hartford to resurect the WHAlers

Portland Beavers (The Beaver State)

Quebec City Nordiques ( Have to resurectthe original WHA team who played in the NHL)

San Francisco/Oakland, California (Their designation... not mine.)

California Golden Seals :D  

St. Louis Eagles

Toronto Torros is what they chose it could work.

Vancouver Mounties (The name is too good to remain unused.)

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

And what would the NHL have to gain by not selling off the name? It's useless otherwise (unless there's some plot afoot to relocate the Avs back there that I'm not privy too...)

What would the NHL have to gain? How about all the marketing and merchandising associated with the Quebec Nordiques name and logos? That's a pretty good chunk of change these days considering the current retro phase.

But retro is just a phase. I'm not suggesting that the rights are only worth magic beans (there are ways to eek cash out of anything when you're as big as the NHL), but bringing back the Nords would give a fair kick-start to the WHA franchise and they'd probably be willing to pay for it.

This league sounds like yet another chance to bring big league teams into Canadian cities that have been forgotten or ripped off by the NHL, and to showcase the 'flashiness' of the sport in southern cities that dont typically get snow and ice.  Jacksonville, Birmingham, Orlando?  Yeah... I cant wait to see Birmingham play Halifax in the Avco Cup Final.  I bet neither of its residents can find each other's city on the map.

Then there's the Roadrunners, who I really wanted to see many times this year until they announced their ticket prices.... standing room at a Roadrunners game is the same price at a Leafs game ??? Granted you're closer, but if the Toros are only going to charge $5 a ticket... i am so there! Hell that's cheaper than an OHL game.

You think the Toros have enough money to buy out the supermarket chain that just bought Maple Leaf Gardens?  Just a thought...

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I was an original WHA fan.  I got to see the San Diego Mariners play, so THERE!  Whether or not the NHL strikes, I'll be REAL surprised if WHA II ever turns a blade in anger, as it were.  Firstly, there's NO room/demand for a 2nd "major: hockey league.  Same with pro basketball and MLB; might as well throw in the NFL here.  The big leagues have  sports team monopolies as far as potential media & fan revenue.  The 60's-70's boom was part of the post-war cultural expansion.  Any attempt to ape the glory days of the AFL, WHA, ABA, whatever, is a half-a#$ed grab for media $ leftovers.  Expanded AAA-level minor pro sports leagues & teams, why not, but let's call it what it is.  Having now dismounted my sports "high horse" (for now!), what do you all make of the regional & national media prospects for WHA II?  I see some regional potential and that's IT.  Heck, here in Estados Unidos,

the NHL gets outdrawn by televised rodeo.  RODEO for heck's sake!

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

Let's see here...

Birmingham- is that a good hockey city?!?

Chicago- I think a third team could work there, there are enough venues in the area to do so.

Cincinnatti- I'd almost rather see the team play in Lousiville instead, but I say give Cincy a shot, anyways.

Cleveland- Yes, yes, yes! Maybe they'll finally live down the disaster that was the Barons.

Halifax- I love Nova Scotia, but I have serious concerns as to whether it'll be big enough to support a team on a league looking to be at this calibur.

Hamilton- Got snubbed in the last round of NHL expansion, it'll be good to have a team there. Good choice.

Jacksonville- Dunno. af2 didn't last long there (but that might be due to the possibility of an AFL team on the horizon). I just don't see it working, but I can't explain why.

Miami- Nope. It's too much of a warm-weather market to support two hockey teams fighting with each other.

Orlando- I never knew just how well the Solar Bears did at the game, so I can't answer anything on this.

Phoenix- For the love of God, get out of Arizona! About the only reason a Phoenix team might have a prayer is because the AWA is now open for use.

Portland- Portland's desperatly wanting to be big-league, but I would be a lot more excited if Seattle was entering the league as well, since you have their WHL rivalry spill over (I have a lot of friends from my old college that grew up in both the Portland and Seattle areas, and if you want watch a bloodbath on ice, a T-Birds vs. Winterhawks game is evidentally the place to do it)

Quebec City- *stands up and applaudes*

San Francisco/Oakland- I would consider San Jose far away enough as to where the Sharks won't have a severe impact on a team. While I would still rather see Sacramento, as a team in the capital wouldn't get lost in the radar as much, this is a good choice as well.

St. Louis- Yeah...I like it. Woulda liked Kansas City better, but I'll take St. Louis.

Toronto- Come on folks, how could you not have a pro hockey league without a team in Toronto?

Vancouver- I still say have a team in Seattle instead. I'm just kinda uncomfortable with a team trying to invade the territory of my beloved Canucks (yeah, and I'm lifelong Californian...so what?  :D )

That being said, my nickname choices:

Alabama Breakers (play on Tide, and if you don't have crimson as a color, you're an idiot!)

Chicago Gust

Cincinatti Predators (a somewhat tiger-ish logo couldn't hurt. I would stay away from Stingers due to the Cincinnatti Swarm)

Cleveland Roughnecks (Cleveland's always had the appearance of a blue-collar city to me, maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I'm going on here)

Halifax Blizzard

Hamilton Dukes (dunno...don't ask)

Jacksonville Rage (I'm thinking some sort of bull logo would work well for some reason...USFL on the mind?!?)

Miami Manatees (CFL in America, I miss you!!!)

Orlando Waves (I've always used this with Orlando teams, a dark green/sea green/white color scheme, too...)

Phoenix Inferno (I swear to God, if one more team uses "Arizona" in a name...)

Oregon Pride (A lion logo might serve well here...I would prefer Steelheads, but with Idaho using that name, might get tricky.)

Quebec Nordiques (I'm not usually one for bringing back old nicknames, but this a definate winner, that and I can't figure out much of anything in French)

San Francisco Dragons (San Francisco has a popular Chinatown, so a Chinese-esque logo would work good.)

St. Louis Pirates (I really like how it sounds...maybe I just need more sleep...)

Toronto Toros (blech...but I'm not thinking of anything better...)

Vancouver Timberjacks

Cincinatti Predators (a somewhat tiger-ish logo couldn't hurt. I would stay away from Stingers due to the Cincinnatti Swarm)

Quebec Nordiques (I'm not usually one for bringing back old nicknames, but this a definate winner, that and I can't figure out much of anything in French)

Good luck with the WHA even attempting to use a team name that has been used by the NHL.  The Predators name is obvious - there's already an NHL team called the Predators and the WHA doesn't have the financial resources to mount a defense (no matter how baseless the injuction) against the NHL.

The NHL also owns the names and logos of the Quebec Nordiques so that is never going to happen.

Good luck with the WHA even attempting to use a team name that has been used by the NHL. The Predators name is obvious - there's already an NHL team called the Predators and the WHA doesn't have the financial resources to mount a defense (no matter how baseless the injuction) against the NHL.

The NHL also owns the names and logos of the Quebec Nordiques so that is never going to happen.

*slaps himself on forehead for Predators*

How the hell did I miss that one?

And on the Nordiques...like I said, I can't think of anything else in French. Whalers would be possible, I do know that, considering the nickname was purchased by the local government.

Archived