University of Louisville basketball court concepts

Geoff

I waited to show these off until today because they had the groundbreaking for the new Louisville Arena downtown on the Ohio River. Gradient haters should avoid #3.

UofL_Court.png

UofL_Court_2.png

UofL_Court_3.png

3. I, like most of you, are usually too keen on gradients on basketball courts, but I decided to try it out here.

C&C por favor.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Too much paint for my liking. I recently designed the court for my alma mater and one issue they had was budget. I had some elaborate designs with lots of paint and they were immediately shot down. The center logo by itself will be costly not to mention the gradient in #3. Overall these are nice. How about adding a conference logo inside the three point line or underneath the foul line. Also is that what the arena logo will be?

KUHawks.png

I'm not at all surprised that Louisville decided to go for the riverfront option, but I have to express immense disappointment that they did so. As a former Louisvillian, it makes me so sad to see an arena built on a flood plane, in a terrible traffic spot, and with unaccounted for financing.

The city had a much better option in a less glamorous part of downtown (albeit three blocks away!) and missed completely. What a shame.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Too much paint for my liking. I recently designed the court for my alma mater and one issue they had was budget. I had some elaborate designs with lots of paint and they were immediately shot down. The center logo by itself will be costly not to mention the gradient in #3. Overall these are nice. How about adding a conference logo inside the three point line or underneath the foul line. Also is that what the arena logo will be?

I was acually considering cutting out the red in the lane. And I totally forgot to add the Big East logo, I'll get on that.

No, that's not the arena logo, that's just something quick I threw together after looking at the artist renditions of the arena itself.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I agree with the previous posters that there is definitely too much paint. It seems nowadays the trend is the less paint, the better (ie. Phoenix Suns, Seattle Sonics, Cleveland Cavaliers). For a basketball rich program, and one located in a basketball region, I would rather see Louisville have a court that is modern, yet traditional.

My idea for their court would be either the Cardinal head or the script L at mid-court with a court similar to what Phoenix, Seattle, and Cleveland have.

I really like 2b so far. Have you looked at just having the lane painted? I know you are looking for something fun and unique but like astrobull said Louisville has a basketball tradition and that would show the it I think. I know that KU has a traditional floor for the most part except for the huge bird at center court, which is something they did when Bill Self came. Roy Williams had the state outline of Kansas, much like UNC, but it was either filled with the school flag or they just had a star for where Lawrence is.

Here is what the court at KU looks like now as well as the court I designed for my alma mater this past year.

AFH.png

DHS.png

(BTW, it sucked having to design a court that had volleyball courts)

KUHawks.png

Besides realistic budgetary matters, I like 3a the best of all...If any colors go well together as a gradient, black and red are it...Also, I think there are pretty equal amounts of red and black on it...For some reason, I think it looks sharp without the paint in the lane area...

1a looks pretty sharp also, in my opinion...

Just something about the equal amounts of red and black that appeal to me...

Great job on these...

Mike

pwmhshpbanner.gif

pwihshpbanner2.gif

On the ones where the Big East logo is not in the key and on all of them flip them so they all are read-able from whichever side the television cameras are set up.

The people in the arena know where they are, the markings on the court are now best utilized as an advertisement for the school, arena, or city.

Looks good otherwise!!

fade.gif

Archived