Maple Leafs Question - Does Anyone Know Why..

JaykaShman

Does anyone know why the word 'Toronto' is off-centre in the Maple Leafs' retro logo? Is there a story behind it?

I was looking at the idea of the team having that old logo 'modernized' for next season and just wondered why 'Toronto' was completely off-centre while 'Maple Leafs' was centred. Perhaps modernizing it will simply include centre-ing?

TOR_201.gif

Does anyone know why the word 'Toronto' is off-centre in the Maple Leafs' retro logo? Is there a story behind it?

I was looking at the idea of the team having that old logo 'modernized' for next season and just wondered why 'Toronto' was completely off-centre while 'Maple Leafs' was centred. Perhaps modernizing it will simply include centre-ing?

TOR_201.gif

Looking at the logo a little closer, the 'Maple Leafs' portion is NOT centred, in fact it's right aligned. Not sure of the explanation for that either.. Any answers?

It almost looks like TORONTO is centered over the stem of the leaf. I can't believe it took this long for this to get brought up here!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I have a theory. It's old! When it came out, they didn't have the means of mass producing perfectly accurate logos. The one on my jersey is off centre as well.

This is probably the right answer.

i have read that each and every maple leaf crest that was sewn onto the actual sweaters from 1927 thru 1967 was hand cut (letters & leaf & even veins), the letters & veins were then hand sewn onto the leaf, which was then hand sewn onto the sweater. obviously, not every crest was exactly the same.

maybe the leafs and the nhl is paying "tribute" to the days of yore by these imperfections.

tb

B)-->

QUOTE(timmy b @ Thursday, December 21st, 2006 - 20:48:02)

maybe the leafs and the nhl is paying "tribute" to the days of yore by these imperfections.

tb

Great. So in fifty years people can dredge up the Buffaslug again.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

Archived