Like Anybody Didn't Know But Cowher Makes It Official

nyk

Cowher expected to retire Friday at news conference

Bill Cowher has informed his assistant coaches he is stepping down as head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers after 15 seasons.

Cowher wanted to take a week to make his decision, and the Steelers were willing to give him until next Monday or Tuesday to make a decision. But after talking over the situation with the family and the Steelers, Cowher decided to move up his announcement until Friday.

The Steelers scheduled a 1 p.m. eastern press conference to discuss Cowher's situation. Although the team did not announce a decision, the word of his resignation was delivered to his assistant coaches.

Cowher built a home in North Carolina and wanted to spend more time with his family there. Though the Steelers wanted him back, Cowher was looking for the chance to get away from the game for an indefinite period. Even though he could get his name in some of the job currently open, Cowher will not coach in 2007.

First, the Steelers control his contractual rights through the 2007 season. Any team wanting him to coach would have to offer the Steelers a bounty of draft choices to get the rights to talk to him.

Second, Cowher doesn't want to coach in 2007. Apparently, his decision doesn't have much to do with money. He is indeed going to take this season off and relax although it's not out of the question for him to do some television work. Cowher is expected to be working this weekend for a network, an arrangement he made several weeks ago.

Cowher finished 161-99-1 in his 15 seasons with the Steelers. Thanks to Cowher and Chuck Noll, the Steelers have had one of the most stable coaching situations in the NFL.

Offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and assistant head coach Russ Grimm are among the leading candidates for the Steelers job.

By making his decision known Friday, Cowher gives the Steelers the ability to talk to some of the assistant coaches currently in the playoffs. The NFL gives teams looking for head coaches until Sunday night to set up and conduct interviews with coaches currently in the playoffs. That could put the Steelers in position to talk to Cam Cameron of the Chargers and Ron Rivera of the Bears among other assistants.

The Steelers will meet Friday morning to discuss replacements.

OK, so which thread gets graveyarded first?

/me spins the wheel...

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

OK, so which thread gets graveyarded first?

/me spins the wheel...

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Maybe the Carolina Panthers if Mike Fox gets fired in a couple years from now.

First, its John Fox... but I digress.

When his new house was going up down here (about 3 miles from ours) I told the wife as we'd drive by it (I give him until the first season after this house is finished, and then he's going to leave the Steelers).

Virtually any team in the NFL would want Cowher, and rightly so. If I had to guess at where he might eventually end up though, I'd go with...

(1) Cleveland - in part due to his past with the Browns, in part because he's a nuts n' bolts kind of guy, and Cleveland would give him total autonomy.

(2) Carolina - but admittedly only if they throw a mountain of money at him.

(3) Atlanta - almost as likely as Carolina, but with Mora out this year, odds that Arthur Blank will fire another head coach after 2007 seem somewhat remote.

(4) Tampa - can you imagine the Bucs chucking Gruden and hiring Cowher? I certainly could if they don't have a drastic improvement in '07.

(5) Dallas - if Parcells stays on another year, it could lead right into a Parcells-to-Cowher transition.

nav-logo.png

I know if I was a coach looking for an NFL head job right now I would be jumping through hoops for the Pittsburgh job. First off the Steelers are a good team a year remove from a championship and had a strong second half this season. The first half was a combo of injuries and bad luck. Second thing is that the Rooney's are probably the best owners to work for. The teams has had 2 coaches since 1969. They are patient and let you do your job plus they are able to get you the players you need to be successful.

They are patient and let you do your job plus they are able to get you the players you need to be successful.

Except your pay will be substandard and they will never spend to keep your free agent players or sign anyone else's either.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

They are patient and let you do your job plus they are able to get you the players you need to be successful.

Except your pay will be substandard and they will never spend to keep your free agent players or sign anyone else's either.

Cowher's pay was on par with what Mike Shananhan was getting and the Rooney's would have been nuts to pay him Holmgren or Saban money if Cowher wanted to spend his offseasons in NC.

I hope Al Davis offers Cowher $15 MILLION a year to coach the Raiders.That way the Steelers could get their first ,second, and third round draft choices for the next three seasons .These would all be high picks because nobody can fix that mess out there in Oakland .This would insure that the Steelers would have a lot of talent in which to compete with.

I hope Al Davis offers Cowher $15 MILLION a year to coach the Raiders.That way the Steelers could get their first ,second, and third round draft choices for the next three seasons .These would all be high picks because nobody can fix that mess out there in Oakland .This would insure that the Steelers would have a lot of talent in which to compete with.

No, I think Alabama will go after Cowher before the Raiders do :P

Maybe it's just me, but does the Steelers logo in the background look a little different? Or maybe it says steel.com? steel.org?

0105cowher34-a.jpg

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived