Patrik Stefan

HedleyLamarr

ya and they passed on daniel and henrik sedin

Of course, they could have used that oh-so-tricky maneuver of picking two players with the same pick... <_<

I think the decreeing of Patrik Stefan as a bust must be made with a rather large caveat: The 1999 Entry Draft was horrible. Other than the Sedins, the only players in the first round worth mentioning are Barret Jackman at No. 17 and Martin Havlat at No. 26. And considering how the Sedins were (correctly) pointed out as a pair that would have to go together in the draft (And as an expansion team, they had no players to go with draft picks to trade), who else could they pick? Pavel Brendl? Denis Shvidki?

A #1 Overall Pick is supposed to be a superstar (especially when they're a Forward), not some guy who's best asset is killing penalties.

Of course, they could have used that oh-so-tricky maneuver of picking two players with the same pick... <_<

I think the decreeing of Patrik Stefan as a bust must be made with a rather large caveat: The 1999 Entry Draft was horrible. Other than the Sedins, the only players in the first round worth mentioning are Barret Jackman at No. 17 and Martin Havlat at No. 26. And considering how the Sedins were (correctly) pointed out as a pair that would have to go together in the draft (And as an expansion team, they had no players to go with draft picks to trade), who else could they pick? Pavel Brendl? Denis Shvidki?

We really can't forget Jordan Leopold (44th overall), Frantisek Kaberle (76th), Henrik Zetterberg (210th) and even Radim Vrbata (212th)

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I think alot of people don't realize the amount of work needed by the Vancouver GM in order to be able to get the picks needed to select the Sedins. I think it's remarkable that someone could arrange the right conditions to get them, seeing as they had said they refuse to play unless they're both on the same team. It's not that the Thrashers passed them up, they couldn't juggle to come up with the right conditions to select them. Picking just one of them would have started a big pissing match (if the Sedins had stuck to their play together condition) for two teams trying to get both.

Atlanta made their choice, they felt it was the best at teh time and this is how it came to be. It happens, not all first round picks turn out. Ask Ottawa about Alexandre Daigle. SOmetimes your top guys turn out, sometimes it's some Joe you pick in the 6th round that becomes a Superstar

I think alot of people don't realize the amount of work needed by the Vancouver GM in order to be able to get the picks needed to select the Sedins. I think it's remarkable that someone could arrange the right conditions to get them, seeing as they had said they refuse to play unless they're both on the same team. It's not that the Thrashers passed them up, they couldn't juggle to come up with the right conditions to select them. Picking just one of them would have started a big pissing match (if the Sedins had stuck to their play together condition) for two teams trying to get both.

Atlanta made their choice, they felt it was the best at teh time and this is how it came to be. It happens, not all first round picks turn out. Ask Ottawa about Alexandre Daigle. SOmetimes your top guys turn out, sometimes it's some Joe you pick in the 6th round that becomes a Superstar

i was saying that they should of picked one of them but i didnt know that they wouldnt play unless they were toghter

We really can't forget Jordan Leopold (44th overall), Frantisek Kaberle (76th), Henrik Zetterberg (210th) and even Radim Vrbata (212th)

Thankfully none of those were picked in the first round, like I stated...

As for the viability of Stefan as a No. 1 pick, you've missed the point of a No. 1 pick Hedley. The Thrashers picked the best player available, which is what you're supposed to do with your No. 1 pick. Stefan was seen even then as the best of a bad bunch, because he was a two-way player (knock on Havlat), didn't have injury problems (knock on Jackman), or had to come in a pair (knock on the Sedins). As I said previously, who else should they have picked, given the knowledge they had on draft day?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

postofday.png

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Thankfully none of those were picked in the first round, like I stated...

As for the viability of Stefan as a No. 1 pick, you've missed the point of a No. 1 pick Hedley. The Thrashers picked the best player available, which is what you're supposed to do with your No. 1 pick. Stefan was seen even then as the best of a bad bunch, because he was a two-way player (knock on Havlat), didn't have injury problems (knock on Jackman), or had to come in a pair (knock on the Sedins). As I said previously, who else should they have picked, given the knowledge they had on draft day?

He did have a questionable injury past....concussions.

My beef with Stefan is that he never panned out as this offensive-wizard like he was billed to be when he played for Long Beach. He's a major bust because the Thrashers traded up to get the #1 pick to get him. He was supposed to be a goal-scorer. Instead, he played a lot of time on the 3rd and 4th lines, and would kill penalties.

My beef with Stefan is that he never panned out as this offensive-wizard like he was billed to be when he played for Long Beach. He's a major bust because the Thrashers traded up to get the #1 pick to get him. He was supposed to be a goal-scorer. Instead, he played a lot of time on the 3rd and 4th lines, and would kill penalties.

You still haven't answered my question. Who would you have picked with the No. 1 pick, without being aided by hindsight?

Patrik Stefan although has not turned into the offensive god that everyone thought he has had 177points in his career.

That 177points in more than (selected below him) Pavel Brendl, Kris Beech, Jamie Lundmark, Oleg Saprykin, Denis Shvidki, and Jani Rita to just name a few in the first 15 picks.

Only up until a couple years ago the Sedins were looking to be a complete busts. They demanded to be together but they never really started with that flash that the scouts were drooling over. I mean they both have only 50points over Stefan before this season. And who can you say was the best from the 1999 1st round? Martin Havlat?

Before this season:

Havlat - 235 points

H. Sedin - 221 points

D. Sedin - 222 points

T. Connolly - 200 points

P. Stefan - 177points

saying the 1999 draft wasn't that good is like saying that the 2000 draft was horrible since both 1st rounds have only 5 players that have over 120points.

2000 Draft:

M. Gaborik - 274 points

D. Heatley - 284 points

J. Williams - 203 points

S. Hartnell - 172 points

A. Frolov - 133 points

spacer.png

You still haven't answered my question. Who would you have picked with the No. 1 pick, without being aided by hindsight?

I can't answer the question. Would I still be making a deal to get the #1 selection, or am I staying put?

But if I had the #1, I'd be picking a goalie.

I can't answer the question. Would I still be making a deal to get the #1 selection, or am I staying put?

at the time the Thrashers had Damien Rhodes who had a good season for the ottawa senators so they didn't think they needed a good goalie just yet and also at the time there was no goalie in the 1999 draft that meritted a #1 selection.. hell i don't even think Rick Dipietro merits a #1 selection..

spacer.png

at the time the Thrashers had Damien Rhodes who had a good season for the ottawa senators so they didn't think they needed a good goalie just yet and also at the time there was no goalie in the 1999 draft that meritted a #1 selection.. hell i don't even think Rick Dipietro merits a #1 selection..

Expansion teams generally aren't trying to win the Cup in their first season of existance.

Tim Connolly (5th) had a pretty good year last year

Ryan Miller was drafted 138th

edit- The main reason I added Connonlly is that my brother played against him in the Empire State Games for a while.Since he has joined the NHL we have always cheered for him . I remember when I was younger I opened a pack of cards and got a Tim Connolly prospect card to which I learned the whole story.

Tim Connolly (5th) had a pretty good year last year

Ryan Miller was drafted 138th

edit- The main reason I added Connonlly is that my brother played against him in the Empire State Games for a while.Since he has joined the NHL we have always cheered for him . I remember when I was younger I opened a pack of cards and got a Tim Connolly prospect card to which I learned the whole story.

Connolly is a great player but has had concussion problems and has not played yet this year.

saBS.png

Expansion teams generally aren't trying to win the Cup in their first season of existance.

That doesn't make any sense to what we are talking about... im saying that the Thrashers would'nt of taken a goalie since they thought they had a solid goalie on the team already... no one in the 1999 NHL draft 1st round has yet to win a stanley cup... They took Stefan because playing in the IHL he had the best experience to the north american hockey style over the sedins.. and they believed he'd be a good offensive player.. although he hasn't been that offensive god they thought well he hasn't also been the worst player selected in the 1st round of the 99draft...

also tidbit here... Henrik Zetterberg before this season didn't even have more points than stefan did.. with Zetterberg having 172points to Stefan's 177points.

spacer.png

Stats are wonderful and all and you can make them say whatever you want, but period, point blank, #1 overall picks are held to a higher standards than everyone else, and that's the way it should be.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Stats are wonderful and all and you can make them say whatever you want, but period, point blank, #1 overall picks are held to a higher standards than everyone else, and that's the way it should be.

You are correct, but still, the 1999 Draft was the worst in a long time, and as strange as it sounds, in comparison to his fellow draftees, he wasn't that much of a bust. I mean, at least he's still in the NHL, unlike Pavel Brendl, among others. Now, in the case of the rest of the number one picks, well, let's just say he's closer to Gord Kluzak than Pierre Turgeon.

Archived