NFL Network showing tv broadcasts of old Super Bowls

Luigi74

Last thursday they showed Super Bowl XL and last night they showed Super Bowl XXII Redskins-Broncos, for as much as people complain about the box the networks use for the score it sure beats nothing and waiting for someone to metion it. Also it freaked me out that I remembered that "The Wonder Years" was the post Super Bowl new tv show and that Frank Gifford get promoting it by saying how it made Kathy Lee cry. Next monday is the greatest Super Bowl ever the Steelers v Cowboys in SB XIII, hopfully the younger set will watch and see that the Giants-Bills and Rams-Titans sucked compared to Steelers-Cowboys.

Rams-Titans sucked compared to Steelers-Cowboys.

PLEASE, :rolleyes:

As a novice NFL historian, and memorizer of all 40 Super Bowl final scores, teams and MVPs, this is heaven to me. I wonder how far back the NFL Network has. I would be beside myself if Super Bowl I were shown in its entirety, but I dont' know if that is possible. My understanding was that the networks (CBS & NBC) who both covered that game, taped over Super Bowl I. I was impressed with the quality of the video, especially the Broncos/Redskins game, which is almost 20 years ago (that depresses me as I remember watching that Super Bowl like it was yesterday!).

I wonder how far back they will go? I would love to hear some of the older announcers broadcasting these Super Bowls. It's a shame that they don't include some of the commercials that were used during the original Super Bowl broadcasts. I hope against all hope that they will eventually do this for ALL the Super Bowls, or all possible anyway, as I do not know the status of the early years.

This has been awesome, and I hope they do this more often. I wish they'd rerun more old FULL games from regular seasons or playoffs in the past too!

Regards,

Bill McD.

Rams-Titans sucked compared to Steelers-Cowboys.

PLEASE, :rolleyes:

As a novice NFL historian, and memorizer of all 40 Super Bowl final scores, teams and MVPs, this is heaven to me. I wonder how far back the NFL Network has. I would be beside myself if Super Bowl I were shown in its entirety, but I dont' know if that is possible. My understanding was that the networks (CBS & NBC) who both covered that game, taped over Super Bowl I. I was impressed with the quality of the video, especially the Broncos/Redskins game, which is almost 20 years ago (that depresses me as I remember watching that Super Bowl like it was yesterday!).

I wonder how far back they will go? I would love to hear some of the older announcers broadcasting these Super Bowls. It's a shame that they don't include some of the commercials that were used during the original Super Bowl broadcasts. I hope against all hope that they will eventually do this for ALL the Super Bowls, or all possible anyway, as I do not know the status of the early years.

This has been awesome, and I hope they do this more often. I wish they'd rerun more old FULL games from regular seasons or playoffs in the past too!

Regards,

Bill McD.

They are going to show Super Bowl III since it's in the promo's, and I think there is still video of Super Bowl I but none of Super Bowl II.

I collect these type broadcasts so I can help out on this.

Every Super Bowl television broadcast minus Super Bowl 1 and 2 exists, rumors are out that super bowl 1 was found but nothing has been proven yet.

Super Bowl 3 is missing parts of the only Colts touchdown drive, I am hoping the version they show has the missing footage but I doubt it.

A complete SB 5 exists but it is not available yet, just the 2nd quarter is available right now.

I have a master of Super Bowl 13 with the 2 hour pre game show, I hope when they air this their version is better than mine.

Like a previous poster said, you youngsters are in for a treat when you watch SB 13. Super Bowl 34 was terrific but no it was not better than SB 13.

skinsboys4lf7pe.jpg

Awesome. I've read loads of books about the Super Bowls, but I've never gotten to watch them. I think the first one I REALLY watched was Cowboys-Bills I, and I've watched everyone (except for Bucs-Raiders & Ravens-Giants...worst SBs ever.) This is gonna be awesome. Watching Super Bowl XXXII reminded me of the days when I was a Bad Boy fanboy. The good ol days...lol.

Every Super Bowl television broadcast minus Super Bowl 1 and 2 exists, rumors are out that super bowl 1 was found but nothing has been proven yet.

Super Bowl 3 is missing parts of the only Colts touchdown drive, I am hoping the version they show has the missing footage but I doubt it.

A complete SB 5 exists but it is not available yet, just the 2nd quarter is available right now.

I have a master of Super Bowl 13 with the 2 hour pre game show, I hope when they air this their version is better than mine.

Like a previous poster said, you youngsters are in for a treat when you watch SB 13. Super Bowl 34 was terrific but no it was not better than SB 13.

I haven't heard about them possibly finding film of Super Bowl I. Got a link for that, as it would be surely appreciated. IIRC, NFL Films was offering a rather large bounty for the first person to come up with a copy of it.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I haven't heard about them possibly finding film of Super Bowl I. Got a link for that, as it would be surely appreciated. IIRC, NFL Films was offering a rather large bounty for the first person to come up with a copy of it.

Scroll down to the bottom under the heading Four DVR's no waiting. I have followed up on this article no link and as of today still no word on SB 1 existing.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports...on/4341748.html

skinsboys4lf7pe.jpg

Do you know how I can get or if NFL Network will show Super Bowl VII and VIII?

I would just email a message saying alot of Dolphins fans would love to see SB VII and VIII, on the promo running on the NFL Network the two oldest ones they show are III and XIII. I really hope in the spring when nothing is really going on NFL wise they start at I or III and show one every night.

Super Bowl XIII is on right now.

Watched it all the way through. I don't know how people watching in the 70's handled not having the down and distance always on the screen, the game clock, and the yellow first down marker. Didn't know Danny White was the punter for the Cowboys and just looking at the hits in the game the NFL was a lot tougher back then too.

Watched it all the way through. I don't know how people watching in the 70's handled not having the down and distance always on the screen, the game clock, and the yellow first down marker. Didn't know Danny White was the punter for the Cowboys and just looking at the hits in the game the NFL was a lot tougher back then too.

Simple. We had things back then called "attention spans." We lost them sometime during the early 90's though.

But yeah, the game was much more physically inclined back then - but there's a reason its not so much so now. Did you look at the size of the players then vs. what they are now? These guys today would make two of the guys who played in XIII, for example - and you have to do something to protect the well-being of players from getting hurt or even potentially killed.

nav-logo.png

Simple. We had things back then called "attention spans." We lost them sometime during the early 90's though.

:D

And remember, you can't miss what you never had. Our phones back then had cords attaching them to the wall and we managed to function with that too.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

just looking at the hits in the game the NFL was a lot tougher back then too.

Yeah, all those "protecting the QB" and "protecting defenseless players" rules have sissified the game,

And the game looked better then too it was nice seeing huddles on TV. I cant remember the last time I seeen a huddle

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

But yeah, the game was much more physically inclined back then - but there's a reason its not so much so now. Did you look at the size of the players then vs. what they are now? These guys today would make two of the guys who played in XIII, for example - and you have to do something to protect the well-being of players from getting hurt or even potentially killed.

Randy Grossman the Steelers TE was 215 pounds and Joe Greene one of the bigger players of the day was 270.

...hopfully the younger set will watch and see that the Giants-Bills and Rams-Titans sucked compared to Steelers-Cowboys.

You can't be serious. Giants v. Bills is the single greatest Super Bowl ever, and not just because of the ending. It was just a fantastic game, begining to end. X, XIII, XIV, XXIII, XXXII, XXXIV, all great games, but none come close to XXV.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived