So much for turning mlg into a grocery store....

DEAD!

THANK GOD THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN. the only thing that concerns me is that MLSEL doesn't appear to like the idea of the Majors playing there. I know that it is highly unlikely at best, but I really wish they could do something to make that a Maple Leaf hall of fame and museum type of thing. I know they are just blocks away from the HHOF, but i really wish they could just keep the Gardens in some sort of hockey capacity.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

Gosh, if the ice plant is still intact and the infrastructure for an arena is still in place, it seems to me this would be a good place for the Canadian Olympic Committee to use as a training facility and perhaps reconfigure the rest of the building to house its administrative offices, an Olympic (and amateur sports) museum and perhaps even some revenue-generating retail spots.  Having never been to the place, I don't know how feasible this is, but I know that similar proposals were batted around for the St. Louis Arena prior to its date with the TNT.

Somethings are not meant to be ... and the storied Maples Leaf Gardens stands erect and all mighty to the profit mongy grubbers.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Event hought I'm a devout Habs fan, I'm relieved that the historic MLG is not becoming a grociery store. actually, I'm really insulted that such a storied part of Tornto's history is not being protected as a Historical Landmark. This building was built in a matter of months, during the Great Depression not less! Even if it's not used anymore by the Leafs, for god's sake, do something with it!make it a museum! move the Hockey Hall of Fame perhaps! Anything but grociery stores or a vacant building, please!

Event hought I'm a devout Habs fan, I'm relieved that the historic MLG is not becoming a grociery store. actually, I'm really insulted that such a storied part of Tornto's history is not being protected as a Historical Landmark. This building was built in a matter of months, during the Great Depression not less! Even if it's not used anymore by the Leafs, for god's sake, do something with it!make it a museum! move the Hockey Hall of Fame perhaps! Anything but grociery stores or a vacant building, please!

ummmmm..... What happened to the Montreal Forum? Entertainment complex or the Boston Garden? Parking garage? or Chicago Stadium? Parking lot?

I know that people have a attachment to certain buildings, but they are, after all, just buildings. It wasn't as if these buildings were intended to last forever. Actually, I think the facade of MLG is a hertiage landmark.

I saw, I came, I left.

Don't think my heart didn't break after wha happened to the Forum. But there is a chance to prevent that from happeneing to MLG now. It's in a great downtown position, and it does have alot of historical significance. It would make a great hockey museum

Don't think my heart didn't break after wha happened to the Forum. But there is a chance to prevent that from happeneing to MLG now. It's in a great downtown position, and it does have alot of historical significance. It would make a great hockey museum

True, but the HHOF is in a historical place as well isn't it?

http://www.hhof.com/html/gi20300.shtml

Maybe not in a hockey sense, but historic nonetheless. But I think it's not wise financially for the hockey hall of fame to move because they spent a lot of money on the new building and it's right across from Union Station/ACC and close to all the financial buildings. So I think the hall is in an excellent place as it is!

I saw, I came, I left.

You dont like what happened to the Forum I think thats great what they did a Hockey Musuem would have been good, but a Entertanment complex keeps teh building alive at least.

Question does the Forum have a ice rink inside? If it does taht makes it even better, skate the smae ice as Richard, LaFleuar and Beliveau.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Olympia Stadium became a low income apartment project. The HHOF is in a historic building (Bank of Montreal Building at BCE Place). I like yhollanders idea of an Olympic training centre, as that seems to make sense. I'm pretty sure there is still capability for ice-making, but im pretty sure the boards were sold, but thats relatively easy to replace. Just wondering though, I had heard that the Leafs wanted to keep MLG available to them as a practice rink, and that would be a condition of the sale. When did that change? I would love it if MLG could become an operating part of the HHOF.

Why is MLSE so afraid of having another arena in there?  Shoot, here's an idea, sell the rink, make it like someone else said a practice facility for Canada's hockey squads.  

Or...keep it, and create a Maple Leafs museum along with keeping it an ice rink for the pucblic to use and continously get revenue coming in (shoot, you could even mark up the prices for the rink.  Figure this: your hockey team playing on MLG ice.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Well, it looks like we're pretty much all in agreement here. Just think of how much they would bring in for public skating, and if they throw in a Leafs Museum and maybe reopen the Hot Stove lounge to the public as a working restaurant they would basically have a license to print money. I don't know about you guys, but doesn't it seem like lately anything the Leafs touch lately (off the ice) just goes south on them? There's this issue, which is starting to make them look like the Grinch that stole our hockey heritage, then there was the Easter Seals thing, that would still be cancelled if it weren't for alot of public outcry, and a few heavy spenders as sponsors.

Archived