Heartbreaking Stretch

Eye

Greetings, folks. My Nets embarked on a five game west coast trip on Monday. Up by 20 in the third, the Nets managed to lose by one, only scoring 11 in the fourth and having Mike Bibby nail a jump shot after failing to secure an offensive rebound. Final score: Kings 88, Nets 87. I was thinking (and Ian Eagle and Mark Jackson said this in the postgame show) that this could have a snowball effect. Will the Nets recover because after a tough loss like that, the losses can keep piling up, especially on a west coast trip. Two days later, against the Warriors, the Nets were up by 14 after one quarter while the Warriors found themselves closer and closer after each quarter, culminating with a Monta Ellis buzzer beating shot. Final score: Warriors 110, Nets 109. Last night, the Nets were trailing most of the game, going into the 4th down 81-70 to the LA Clippers. The Nets fought hard, took the lead late, then Cuttino Mobley made a 3 pointer with 0.6 left. Final score: Clippers 102, Nets 101.

The Nets have lost three straight games by ONE point. Very tough, especially on a west coast trip. The Nets seemed like they were finally playing to their potential, winning 9 of 11, only to revert back to their old ways. Blowing leads late in games, losing in heartbreaking fashion.

Has anyone seen a stretch of more heartbreak, than this team has in the past week in terms of close losses? I'm not talking about those crappy Grizzlies teams of the 90's or the Clippers before last season because most of those teams just plain suck. I also don't know what to think of the Nets anymore. We all know they're leaving soon, but we don't know if the team will be dismantled or not. I do however, think the Nets are just a big man away from being serious contenders. Now Krstic is hurt, he was the big man I was talking about, and the Nets are struggling mightily. This team is underachieving drastically and it's hard to gauge where they will be at the end of this season or seasons to come, because they seemingly need just one more piece to legitimize any talk of them winning a championship.

Got any ideas on who they should get or what they should do, and to answer the previous question, have you seen a more heartbreaking stretch than this one? I can't remember any, but maybe you do.

-E.A.R.

They need to win a game. The one universal antidote in sports is winning. If they can snap this losing streak, then they'll be alright because it's not like they're the Hawks and are just getting drubbed by everybody, they're losing these games by 1 and 3. I know this is comparing apples and oranges, but they need to take a cue from Virginia Tech's basketball team. I think they had a stretch where they were always losing games by buzzer beaters. They finally turned the tables against Duke in a game that figured to turn out like the previous games, but instead they won, and it's been nothin but roses ever since. So yeah, if the Nets can finally get into a mindset where they can win the close games, then they'll start winning again. It's not like they suck.

They need to win a game. The one universal antidote in sports is winning. If they can snap this losing streak, then they'll be alright because it's not like they're the Hawks and are just getting drubbed by everybody

Can it possibly get worse for the Hawks?

Losing back-to-back games to Charlotte by 20 in each game.....dreadful.

They need to win a game. The one universal antidote in sports is winning. If they can snap this losing streak, then they'll be alright because it's not like they're the Hawks and are just getting drubbed by everybody

Can it possibly get worse for the Hawks?

Losing back-to-back games to Charlotte by 20 in each game.....dreadful.

I was at the first one. We left with 8:00 in the 4th, because that was honestly some of the worst basketball I have ever seen in my life. At any level. That was truly amazing.

Archived