Which NBA Team Shall Move Next?

Bronxmet

The kings moving would be bad because they have some of the best fans in the NBA (Arco is a nut house in the playoffs).

If ANY team moves, move those grizzlies somewhere, their best average season attendance still belongs to the city of Vancouver, and Memphis has had playoff teams! Something the grizzlies fans in Vancouver could only dream about.

Other than that, I don't think we should pick on fan bases just because they are in markets that are smaller or you may not desire. I mean look at the sixers attendance this year, but no one's going after them.

You truly are an idiot

Look at the Sixer's record this year. Look at the Sixer's current roster. THAT'S WHY ATTENDANCE IS DOWN!!!

(Finally, consider their market size and their relatively new arena).

Market size and "relatively new arena" means nothing. If that was the case, Seattle wouldn't be in danger of losing their team by sticking with the 10-yr old KeyArena.

The Clippers were rumored to move to Anaheim into the Duck Pond. The T-wolves are locked into a long-term lease that is pretty air-tight. I would guess that the Sonics and Hornets will "fight" for Oklahoma City. Shortly thereafter, the NBA will announce expansion into KC, St. Louis, Las Vegas, Buffalo, Columbus and Tampa Bay

Would David Stern be committed to an asylum immediately after that announcement? There isn't enough TALENT for 36 teams.

I disagree. In fact, I honestly think the NBA could support as many teams as it wants to have, be that number 30, 32, 40, or 72.

A basketball team roster has what? 15 players? Compare this with Major League Baseball at 25 and the NFL at 53 per team. Now, can anyone in their right mind argue that, especially with the worldwide talent base the NBA taps from, there are only 450 NBA-level players on the Earth at any given time? No.

So if circumstances are right from a business perspective, expand to whatever number. The talent will be there. As for relocations, I think the Sonics are eventually going to OKC once the Hornets return to New Orleans (which they will), but that'll be about it.

Considering how the majority of NBA teams (aside from the anointed 5 that always seem to be in the mix) languish in perpetual mediocrity, yes, there's not enough talent to handle 32 teams, let alone 36. For example, check the D-league, and tell me how wide a gulf there is between the level of play there and in the NBA.

The D-League is a poor example; those who just miss the cut in the NBA nowadays are going to European leagues. The D-League is at best the AA level of basketball worldwide.

european squads allow two americans only. That's not many who just "miss the cut".

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THA HORNETS GO TO UTA AND THE JAZZ GO TO NEW ORLINS CAUSE NEW ORLINS = JAZZ AND UTA IS THA BEE STATE!!!11one

:D

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Thanks to all the people who think enough of St. Louis to believe we're an NBA caliber town.

We aren't and we won't be getting a team anytime soon.

Outside of the top 5-10 TV markets in the country, the NBA isn't going to go to any market where it cannot be the #1 sports attraction. In St. Louis any NBA franchise would be lucky to take the #3 spot, and once the Blues fully right their ship (assuming they do), then even attaining #3 status becomes a formidable challenge.

Oklahoma City is clearly at the top of the NBA's pecking order at this point. Even if the Sonics stay put and the Hornets go back to New Orleans, I think the NBA would grant them an expansion franchise in order to bring the league back into balance with an even number of teams. Beyond that, I don't see the prospects for domestic growth in the NBA.

Uhhhh the NBA has 30 teams right now. (Don't tell me you forgot Charlotte too! :P )

I don't count the Celtics.

Yeah, you got me. :D

THA HORNETS GO TO UTA AND THE JAZZ GO TO NEW ORLINS CAUSE NEW ORLINS = JAZZ AND UTA IS THA BEE STATE!!!11one

Hey, don't steal my schtick! :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The kings moving would be bad because they have some of the best fans in the NBA (Arco is a nut house in the playoffs).

If ANY team moves, move those grizzlies somewhere, their best average season attendance still belongs to the city of Vancouver, and Memphis has had playoff teams! Something the grizzlies fans in Vancouver could only dream about.

Other than that, I don't think we should pick on fan bases just because they are in markets that are smaller or you may not desire. I mean look at the sixers attendance this year, but no one's going after them.

You truly are an idiot

Look at the Sixer's record this year. Look at the Sixer's current roster. THAT'S WHY ATTENDANCE IS DOWN!!!

Market size and "relatively new arena" means nothing. If that was the case, Seattle wouldn't be in danger of losing their team by sticking with the 10-yr old KeyArena.

Philadelphia is the #4 statistical metro area, Seattle is #15

Philadelphia is the #4 tv market, Seattle is #14.

76ers have stable ownership that is well vested in Philly. Seattle is now owned by a crew from OKC.

Key Arena's renovations are only 10 years old.

Also Original6-why Philadelphians even watch their teams at all at this point is one of the great mysteries of the universe.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You truly are an idiot

76ers have stable ownership that is well vested in Philly. Seattle is now owned by a crew from OKC.

Also Original6-why Philadelphians even watch their teams at all at this point is one of the great mysteries of the universe.

So Seattle's top-15 in the nation in terms of market size and population. Up until last year, they had local ownership that could never be confused not having deep enough pockets. And they had a completely re-done arena less than a decade ago. And yet that's not good enough to keep the team in town. Absolutely insane.

The NBA lost me when it allowed the Hornets to move from Charlotte. Beloved franchise, ripped to shreds by an idiot owner and the longing for luxury boxes. The same thing's gonna happen to poor Kings fans, too.

You truly are an idiot

So Seattle's top-15 in the nation in terms of market size and population. Up until last year, they had local ownership that could never be confused not having deep enough pockets. And they had a completely re-done arena less than a decade ago. And yet that's not good enough to keep the team in town. Absolutely insane.

The NBA lost me when it allowed the Hornets to move from Charlotte. Beloved franchise, ripped to shreds by an idiot owner and the longing for luxury boxes. The same thing's gonna happen to poor Kings fans, too.

Luxury boxes ARE the name of the game when it comes to arenas and stadia. There is no getting around that nowadays. The rest of the arena is just small change. It's not longing, its what is required by the economics of present-day major league sports. (And yes, this sucks royally for any market that built an arena/stadium in the late 80s/early 90s.)

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hey, don't steal my schtick! :P

Yours? I thought it was mine!

You know...someone should make a topic about what team is the LEAST likely to move. A team where even if all their players were blind quadraphelics; the owner is quite literally a chimp, and the arena is the inside of a barn, there would STILL stay.

Any NBA team like that?

Sure there is.. They're called the New York Knicks.

As for the move itself, the Maloofs have all but stamped their intentions on their forehead, they want to move the Kings to Vegas. Namewise, it would actually work too.

I say, move the Clippers to Sacramento and the Kings to Las Vegas. The Sacramento fanbase is incredible, and they don't deserve to lose their team.

But...they would lose their team. I'm suspicious of plans that call for one city to lose its team and then be given a new one as if nothing ever happened, i.e. Sonics to OKC. You can't expect Sacramento fans to readily just become Clippers fans overnight, or telling Oklahoma City "thanks for babysitting the Hornets and caring more than New Orleans did, but that's over, here, have the Sonics. What's the difference?" I don't think it works that way.

But...they would lose their team. I'm suspicious of plans that call for one city to lose its team and then be given a new one as if nothing ever happened, i.e. Sonics to OKC. You can't expect Sacramento fans to readily just become Clippers fans overnight, or telling Oklahoma City "thanks for babysitting the Hornets and caring more than New Orleans did, but that's over, here, have the Sonics. What's the difference?" I don't think it works that way.

You're correct, and that's partially the reason why I think the Bobcats fan support hasn't been anywhere close to being on the same level as what the Hornets (in their hayday) drew.

In an ideal world, if the Maloofs ARE serious about moving a team to Vegas, it should be an expansion team. However, with the oversaturation of markets, putting another expansion team in the NBA wouldn't be the best of ideas either.

I did mention moving the Clippers north, however that was barring the "IF" scenario occurred. It wouldn't serve the same as the Kings though, and to take the Kings out of a good fan market.. eh.

Well, I see what your saying with the Kings. However I think that Oklahoma City is a bit different though. They are basically "babysitting" the Hornets while New Orleans gets rebuilt. Once the Hornets can move back they are. So if the Oklahoma City fans prove they can support a team, they should get another if it moves. However I'm not from Oklahoma City, so I don't really know what its like. However if Baltimore had a similar situation I wouldn't mind getting a whole new team (because the first team wouldn't have really been ours).

While we're talking about relocation I've been thinking lately that Baltimore might be a candidate in the future. I know not anytime within the next 5-10 years. But maybe in 30 years or so. The biggest problem would be getting a new arena. The Maryland Stadium Authority just built the Ravens stadium so it might be a while until we build a new arena. However the 1st Mariner Arena will eventually have to be replaced so maybe will try to build one big enough for an NBA team (or NHL). Also the Wizards might try to fight it. Heck, every other team thats entered the Baltimore-Washington area has had problems with the other team. Although I know very few Wizards fans here, most people support the Terps if they like basketball. Basketball has really grown in the area. We've produced an NBA superstar in Carmelo Anthony, a rookie whose supposed to become a solid player in Rudy Gay, and we have another prospect going to the NBA in a few years (Donte Greene) (You might be able to count Kevin Durant too, but he could be considered a DC prospect too). If we can continue this development it might help us get a team. Sorry for posting this if no ones interested, I've just been thinking about it a little lately.

Well, I see what your saying with the Kings. However I think that Oklahoma City is a bit different though. They are basically "babysitting" the Hornets while New Orleans gets rebuilt. Once the Hornets can move back they are. So if the Oklahoma City fans prove they can support a team, they should get another if it moves. However I'm not from Oklahoma City, so I don't really know what its like. However if Baltimore had a similar situation I wouldn't mind getting a whole new team (because the first team wouldn't have really been ours).

Actually they should get the Hornets IMO. They're drawing a lot better in OKC than they did in New Orleans, and we don't know to what extent New Orleans will ever recover from Katrina anyway. The only reason(s) they aren't staying IMO are that it would be bad PR-wise for the NBA and the lease with the New Orleans arena is darn-near ironclad. (That and Stern doesn't want the NBA to fail twice in New Orleans).

Not sure if you could convince Sterling to move to Sacto (remember, this guy abandoned San Diego for the lights of LA). Also not sure if replacing the Kings with the Clippers would be good for the Sacto fanbase.

As for Baltimore, IDK...how many major-league teams can that general area support?

Today, we are all otaku.

While we're talking about relocation I've been thinking lately that Baltimore might be a candidate in the future. I know not anytime within the next 5-10 years. But maybe in 30 years or so. The biggest problem would be getting a new arena. The Maryland Stadium Authority just built the Ravens stadium so it might be a while until we build a new arena. However the 1st Mariner Arena will eventually have to be replaced so maybe will try to build one big enough for an NBA team (or NHL). Also the Wizards might try to fight it. Heck, every other team thats entered the Baltimore-Washington area has had problems with the other team. Although I know very few Wizards fans here, most people support the Terps if they like basketball. Basketball has really grown in the area. We've produced an NBA superstar in Carmelo Anthony, a rookie whose supposed to become a solid player in Rudy Gay, and we have another prospect going to the NBA in a few years (Donte Greene) (You might be able to count Kevin Durant too, but he could be considered a DC prospect too). If we can continue this development it might help us get a team. Sorry for posting this if no ones interested, I've just been thinking about it a little lately.

I hope so. Another Baltimore-Washington rivalry would be great. Bring the area closer.

I hope so. Another Baltimore-Washington rivalry would be great. Bring the area closer.

I remember when David Stern was talking about expansion across season a couple seasons ago.

Mark Cuban thought it was a bad idea and he said one of the cities he wanted Stern to consider in the U.S. was Baltimore. Baltimore would be a great basketball city, but like you said they need a new arena...1st Mariner Arena definitly wont cut it.

Before the Spurs coaxed the people of San Antonio in building them the AT&T Center, I remember Baltimore was one of the rumored cities that wanted the Spurs. I would imagine the backlash if the Spurs were to ever leave San Antonio, but as large of a city that it is, the likes of Gervin, the Admiral, and Duncan put that city on that map, much like what Stockton and Malone did for the state of Utah.

As far as Sterling is concerned, he's Los Angeles through and through, that's why he wouldn't go to Anaheim full time, even Anaheim is only 30 miles south of Downtown L.A. and Staples Center. I like going to Staples Center, but I never liked the fact that the Clippers and Lakers share the same building. Los Angeles is such a spread-out place, Sterling (who's the biggest real estate mogul in all of western Los Angeles County) could build his own arena, but I know that will NEVER happen. Hell, it's finally taken him years to build (or planning to build) the Clippers their own practice facility and team headquarters.

Archived