Three Former NFL Players Who Should be in the Hall

rebelx

Alright, so I've been wondering...why aren't Jay Hilgenberg, Steve Atwater, and Chris Doleman receiving more support for the Hall of Fame? Those guys never seem to make it past the first round of voting. Does anybody have any idea why these excellent players are getting so blatantly snubbed? NJTank, maybe you've got something to say about this...

Ive got a list

Art Monk-He was better then Irvin, and too won 3 Rings

Jim Marshall-The Cal Ripken of the NFL never missed a game

Russ Grim-Perhaps the best players on one of the best lines ever

Bob Kuchenberg-Bridged the gap between Perfection and Marino and guarded the line forever in Miami

Richard Dent-Part of one of the most fearsome defenses ever

Joe Klecko-An All-Pro defender before injuries slowed him down

Mark Gastineau-Held the Singe season Sack record before Strahan and Favre complied to set the new mark.

Mark Bravaro-One of the top Tight Ends of his era.

Drew Pearson-Another WR who played in the Super Bowl and was better then Irvin

Roger Craig-A major reason for the 49ers Dynasty who never gets his due

Jeff Van Note-The wall of granite on the line in Atlanta for nearly 20 years

Derrick Thomas-Its a crime hes not in yet

Jim Plunkett-Two Super Bowls miraculous turnaround late in his career

I may think of more later

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Your Irvin bias is ridiculous. The numbers don't lie. Yes, his character deservedly hurt his credibility, which is why he wasn't first ballot HOF, but to use him as a scapegoat to boost other players smacks of some hidden agenda. Art Monk is truly deserving of Canton on his own merits, not because he's "better than Irvin." I expect better from you Tank.

I love Drew Pearson, but he was not better than Michael Irvin. Probably a nicer guy, but not a better receiver. And this is coming from a life-long Cowboy fan.

newsig.jpg

You put Pearson in a passing Era he would have doubled Irvin's numbers

BTW I do think Irvin should be in the Hall I just think these two WRs are better

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

The process used to vote players into the Football Hall of Fame is a joke...Sports writers should not be involved in the capacity they currently are...Their grudges and lack of knowledge consistantly cloud their ability to vote based on numbers. I have no problem with writers voting, but it should be on a smaller scale...I feel that the league front office, teams personnel, past enshrinees and then sports writers should have a collective vote in determining who gets in...The fact that Art Monk is not in is a glaring example of what is wrong with the current process. As much as I disliked Michael Irvin, he did deserve to go in. But ahead of Monk, no.....Monk should have been in 4-5 years ago. The voting process needs to be revamed drastically.

Atwater-Doleman what? :D

AtwDole.jpg

I wholeheartedly support Atwater...he was just as good, IMO, as Ronnie Lott, just never quite got the recognition.

It's a crime Monk isn't in yet, either...and not just on the "He's better than Irvin" reasoning.

I also very much agree with Marshall, Dent, Bavaro, Pearson, and Thomas from Tank's list.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I thought Atwater was on the Broncos when they won Super Bowls XXXII and XXXIII

He was. For shame, NinerFan. You've got his jersey and all :P.

The fact that he was a two-time champion makes his struggles on the hall ballot so far that much more puzzling. Granted, this was only his third year of eligibility, and he could make it farther in the future, but really, with the kind of career he had, you wonder why he didn't make the finalists list in his FIRST year of eligibility. What a travesty.

I wonder if the Hall has something against the Broncos. Seeing as how John Elway is the only guy in there that played a majority of his career for them, it kind of makes you wonder. They've been to six friggin' Super Bowls; they should definitely have multiple guys in (including Randy Gradishar).

BTW, LuvTheNats, you think a petition to change the process might be in order? I might be willing to do something like that, as this issue has been bothering me for quite a while now.

I thought Atwater was on the Broncos when they won Super Bowls XXXII and XXXIII

Doh! Man down on my part. I was thinking about the early 90's Broncos, and also that Atwater signed with the Jets in the mid-nineties and retired...but no, that was Ronnie Lott.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I wholeheartedly support Atwater...he was just as good, IMO, as Ronnie Lott, just never quite got the recognition.

My humble opinion...

I'd say Atwater is deserving but let's not get silly about it. Ronnie Lott was in a class by himself. Steve Atwater was good but he was no Ronnie Lott. Atwater got plenty of recognition in his day. He was always in any conversation about the best DBs of his era.

Chris Doleman? Sorry. Nice player but not a Hall of Famer.

From Tank's list...

Art Monk - Definite yes.

Jim Marshall - Another head scratcher on why he's not in.

Russ Grimm - Passes the "does everyone know who he is" lineman test easily.

Bob Kuchenberg - Same as Grimm.

Richard Dent - An argument could be made either way. I'd vote no.

Joe Klecko - You're dreaming Tank. Klecko's not even in the HOF discussion.

Mark Gastineau - Same as Klecko.

Mark Bavaro - Good player. Not a hall of Famer

Drew Pearson -Has always been my favorite Cowboy but not a Hall of Famer.

Roger Craig - I'd vote for him but he's not a slam dunk case.

Jeff Van Note - I'm completely baffled as to why Van Note isn't in. The guy is a no-brainer.

Derrick Thomas - Another borderline case. I'd have to vote no.

Jim Plunkett - The perfect argument against the "winning a ring makes you great" theory. I like Jim Plunkett but the guy is nowhere near a Hall of Famer.

The fact that he was a two-time champion makes his struggles on the hall ballot so far that much more puzzling.

This "he won a championship" argument drives me crazy. The Hall of Fame is an individual achievement and players should be judged on their career not on how many times their "TEAM" won a Super Bowl. Does Curtis Johnson belong in the HOF? If memory serves he won two rings with the Dolphins. How about Don Beebe? He played on four AFC champions and a Super Bowl Champion. How about Howard Twilley? He was the tight end on those great Dolphins teams of the 70's? Didn't he win two rings? Where the hell is Andy Russell? He was on one of the great defenses of all time with the 70's Steelers? Why is Rocky Bleier on the outside looking in? He won FOUR rings.

Contrary to what ESPN has been shoving down our throats for years, it's not about how many times you were on the winning team. It's about your individual career.

BB52Big.jpg

This "he won a championship" argument drives me crazy. The Hall of Fame is an individual achievement and players should be judged on their career not on how many times their "TEAM" won a Super Bowl. Does Curtis Johnson belong in the HOF? If memory serves he won two rings with the Dolphins. How about Don Beebe? He played on four AFC champions and a Super Bowl Champion. How about Howard Twilley? He was the tight end on those great Dolphins teams of the 70's? Didn't he win two rings? Where the hell is Andy Russell? He was on one of the great defenses of all time with the 70's Steelers? Why is Rocky Bleier on the outside looking in? He won FOUR rings.

Contrary to what ESPN has been shoving down our throats for years, it's not about how many times you were on the winning team. It's about your individual career.

By saying that, I didn't mean to imply that guys who win rings are necessarily more deserving of induction to the Hall. What I meant was that by winning two Super Bowls, the guy cemented his legacy and should have gotten himself even more noticed and recognized by the general sports public than he already was, especially given his performance in Super Bowl XXXII. And yet, for some reason, it didn't do him a bit of good in this regard. Why wouldn't he be at the top of sportswriters' minds as a defensive back candidate for Canton? It's just strange. :therock:

Because theres a ton of Steelers already in there, maybe Greenwood should be put in there, but you have Ham, Lambert, Green, and Blount already in on Defense.

And on Offense Bradshaw, Swann, Stallworth, Harris, and Webster.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

why not if its earned?

I heard two reasons the first being they don't want the 70's Steelers having more HOF'ers than the 60's Packers both sit at 10 counting the head coaches, the other is the voters with Dolphins, Cowboys and Raiders connections campain aganist any old Steeler since they still hold a grudge from the 70's. Besides Greenwood, Donnie Shell and Andy Russell should at least be in the running every few years.

Archived