Proposed changes in college football....

HedleyLamarr

Since many coaches didn't like that rule where the clock automatically starts after a change of possession, there have been some proposed options:

-- Using a 15-second play clock immediately after timeouts instead of a 25-second clock;

-- Reducing timeouts from 65 seconds to 30 seconds;

-- Kicking off from the 30-yard line instead of the 35 to cut down on touchbacks;

-- Limiting the time officials have to review a replay to two minutes.

Yahoo! story

Thoughts and ideas?

I dunno about cutting down the time for timeouts, if you've ever played football before you know those minute long timeouts can be valuable not only for resting players, but also for coaches to figure out what's going on and what they should do. The rest I think could work.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

from the 35 to the 30 for kickoffs....jeez, need to take steps to reduce touchbacks in two consecutive seasons? they did already go to the one-inch tee last year (from a two-inch one) to do the same thing...

otherwise, I agree and don't mind whatsoever. you're not going to shorten up a college football game until TV timeouts are taken away, so this all really just keeps plays in the game.

harperdc.gif

I dont know the numbers, but for me this year it seemed like there were more touchbacks than the year before. I felt like the lowering of the tee made the kickers just drive it for a touchback instead of lifting it up and trying to drop it near the endzone.

So I think taking them back five yards might help this.

I also dont like the reducing the Timeout thing.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Since many coaches didn't like that rule where the clock automatically starts after a change of possession, there have been some proposed options:

-- Using a 15-second play clock immediately after timeouts instead of a 25-second clock;

-- Kicking off from the 30-yard line instead of the 35 to cut down on touchbacks;

Yahoo! story

Thoughts and ideas?

--As a fan (who never played), I like the shorter timeouts.

--I like the 15 second "after timeout" clock.

--I like the 35 yard line for kickoffs. But I can live with this. It bugs me in the NFL more (becasue of NFL overtime providing a bit more advantage for the coin flip winner).

--If there is going to be replay, they may as well get it right. May as well take 2:10 and get it right rather than 2:00 and not.

Last year's rules were brutal and I am glad they are moving away. Overall, this is better.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Was I the only one who opened this thread thinking it could be a BCS vs playoff thing?

nope. i had my hopes up and everything...oh well. :P

not a fan of reducing the timeout time or official review time, but i think i'd be able to live with the rest. clock movement on change of possession bugged the hell outta me.

personally though, i wasn't worried about the length of the game in the first place, so the new rules seem like a waste of good time to me.

Yahoo! story

Thoughts and ideas?

--As a fan (who never played), I like the shorter timeouts.

--I like the 15 second "after timeout" clock.

--I like the 35 yard line for kickoffs. But I can live with this. It bugs me in the NFL more (becasue of NFL overtime providing a bit more advantage for the coin flip winner).

--If there is going to be replay, they may as well get it right. May as well take 2:10 and get it right rather than 2:00 and not.

Last year's rules were brutal and I am glad they are moving away. Overall, this is better.

I read/heard somewhere (I can't recall offhand) that the average review lasted 1:47, so a 2-minute cap shouldn't affect this too much. It shouldn't take longer than 2 minutes to find conclusive evidence to reverse a play.

Archived