Non-Uniform Uniforms (on purpose)

iowahoo

Upon hearing the Brockton Rox, independent baseball- CanAm League, have non-uniform jerseys I was wondering if there are any other intentional examples of this.

It seems the Rox home unis have ROX on the odd numbered tops and ROCKS on the even numbered tops (or vice versa). Definitely unique.

604.jpeg.300.jpeg

Hey look, it's Oil Can Boyd:

507.jpeg.300.jpeg

fade.gif

thats different. i do like the shadow effect.

This is what happens when you give Bill Murray a baseball team.

i was looking at IMDB(which could be wrong) but it says he owns the Charleston Riverdogs.

I will admit I have never followed the Rox, despite being in the area, but I have read news clippings and such, I can remember when Theo Epstein resigned his GM duties with the Red Sox, Murray offered him the job of Rox GM, obviously not taking the posistion. As we know he returned to the Sox later that month. As late as the 2005 season, Bill Murray and Mike Veeck (Bill Veeck's son) owned the Rox. Looking at the website I see things have changed. I stand corrected.

According to Wikipedia (I know, I know), the team's only retired numbers are those of men who didn't play baseball professionally. The retired numbers represent the number of fights won by two famous boxers from the area: undefeated heavyweight champion Rocky Marciano (#49) and middleweight champion "Marvelous" Marvin Hagler (#62).

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

the hell? :blink:

Seconded.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It's a horrible team name, the color palette (Brown, Teal, Tan) is atrocious and the ROCKS/ROX conflicting jerseys are just plain assenine.

All in all, a "train wreck" of an identity package. If they had truly wanted to pay tribute to native-son Rocky Marciano, the team should have gone with Brockton Blockbusters, Brockton Champs or Brockton Haymakers.

I think you're almost there - I think Brockton Haymakers would be a great name for a minor league club.

I like that alot.

But the reasoning for Rox, is very clear. They tried to tie into the "ox" lure in New England, and capitalize as much as they posibily could on the popularity of the Red Sox. Sure Rox and Red Sox are reaaaaally not at all the same... but that's why it's Rox and not Rocks.

I think you're almost there - I think Brockton Haymakers would be a great name for a minor league club.

That's what happens when you're simultaneously composing a post to this thread and an e-mail to a friend in Beantown.

But the reasoning for Rox, is very clear. They tried to tie into the "ox" lure in New England, and capitalize as much as they posibily could on the popularity of the Red Sox... that's why it's Rox and not Rocks.

And by trying to capitalize on the Red Sox popularity in the spelling of the team name, Rox team management dropped the ball with regarding to paying homage to Marciano... and created a piss-poor team identity, to boot.

Horrible... simply, horrible.

But the reasoning for Rox, is very clear. They tried to tie into the "ox" lure in New England, and capitalize as much as they posibily could on the popularity of the Red Sox. Sure Rox and Red Sox are reaaaaally not at all the same... but that's why it's Rox and not Rocks.

Well... except that they don't always use "Rox." Sometimes they do use "Rocks."

That's what I don't think is very clear.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived