Death By Popcorn: The Tragedy of the Winnipeg Jets

gojetsgo

Give nothing up. The NHL would be better served with a team back in Winnipeg - it would be infinitely more interesting than the boring joke of a team they have in Arizona, surrounded by freeway offramps, senile retirees, and cactii.

As a Coyote fan, I'm appauled at your statement.

Mods, delete this tread, before things get out of hand.

:flagcanada:

I'm glad Canada lost some of their teams. (Teams they wouldn't have had anyway if it wasn't for the WHA) No joke of a team should have to play there - surrounded by igloos and beavers in temperatures not even livable by many's standards.

(Hey, I can be an ignorant fool too! :P)

Come on, are you denying that Jobing.com Arena is not surrounded by freeway offramps and cactii? Methinks you sound a bit too sensitive to facts.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's right about the temperature though. By God Almighty, Winnipeg is one very cold place.

Colder than Calgary - and that's saying something. I love both places, particularly Calgary which is just a great town that knows how to have a good time.

Give nothing up. The NHL would be better served with a team back in Winnipeg - it would be infinitely more interesting than the boring joke of a team they have in Arizona, surrounded by freeway offramps, senile retirees, and cactii.

As a Coyote fan, I'm appauled at your statement.

Mods, delete this tread, before things get out of hand.

:flagcanada:

I'm glad Canada lost some of their teams. (Teams they wouldn't have had anyway if it wasn't for the WHA) No joke of a team should have to play there - surrounded by igloos and beavers in temperatures not even livable by many's standards.

(Hey, I can be an ignorant fool too! :P)

Come on, are you denying that Jobing.com Arena is not surrounded by freeway offramps and cactii? Methinks you sound a bit too sensitive to facts.

Pot calling kettle black.

MODS! GRAVEYARD THIS THREAD IMMEDIATELY!!!!!

I agree.

You do understand that this is sarcasm, right?

Thanks.

Do you know I'm not sarcastic?

so you wernt kidding when you said if the coyotes leave then the nhl should fold. wow your a selfish ass hole. the only good thing about the coyotes is there name and jerseys. your just lucky that they have a new arena and wayne gretzky as their coach because if they didnt people would care about them even less

I agree.

Thanks.

wow your a selfish ass hole.

Wow, you should be banned for using the a-word.

I have to confess to some hockey-snobbery myself. I find myself really disliking any team that spawned from an older team, that was originally located in an area where hockey is more pervasive.

I hate the Carolina Hurricanes. I just find that franchise just so difficult to accept. I miss the Whalers and I feel the fans in Harford got ripped off.

The Colorado Avalanche? Words can't describe how much I loathe this team. Purple, Pepsi, cartoon feet, and a gift-wrapped championship, in a city that had their shot in the 70's and squandered it. Now to be fair, I know Denver has embraced hockey and the Avs have produced some terrific moments. I just can't get over how unfair it seems that a town that rejected the NHL in its hey-day, gets a "free" Stanley Cup at the expense of a city that had its heart and lungs ripped out, and have lived and breathed hockey for a century.

I lament the fact that five of the orignal six teams, probably won't make the playoffs, and that a fair chunk of the expansion six are either gone, or won't make the playoffs this year. I still can't even fully embrace the Dallas Stars.

I look at the Dallas Stars, and I just lament the fact, Minnesota's new team looks like their jerseys were designed by LL Bean. I miss the North Stars, what satanic idol do I have to worship to bring them back?

So yeah, I'm a total hockey-snob, forgive me, its a weakness, one I find I have a hard time letting go of.

I agree.

Thanks.

you should banned for being an ass

I agree.

Thanks.

so you wernt kidding when you said if the coyotes leave then the nhl should fold. wow your a selfish ass hole. the only good thing about the coyotes is there name and jerseys. your just lucky that they have a new arena and wayne gretzky as their coach because if they didnt people would care about them even less

Still puts them ahead of Vancouver. :rolleyes:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I agree.

Thanks.

you should banned for being an ass

You used the a-word again. That should be strike 2 for you.

Oh my God... I remember those furniture commercials, Kern Hill. That furniture cowboy just made my day.

We used to get those commercials too in Northeastern ND. "Come OOOOOOONNNNN Down."

"Number one son left the furniture-making machine on all night so we hafta get ridda sofas, loveseats, lazy boys, dinette sets, YOUNAMEIT!!!!"

Interesting fact: Nick Hill was only abou 5'3". With cowboy hat, damn near 6 feet.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Oh my God... I remember those furniture commercials, Kern Hill. That furniture cowboy just made my day.

We used to get those commercials too in Northeastern ND. "Come OOOOOOONNNNN Down."

"Number one son left the furniture-making machine on all night so we hafta get ridda sofas, loveseats, lazy boys, dinette sets, YOUNAMEIT!!!!"

Interesting fact: Nick Hill was only abou 5'3". With cowboy hat, damn near 6 feet.

:lol: That's awesome!

Those commercials are the epitome of Winnipeg.

Things I loved about this film:

-GREEEETZKYYYYYY!!!! The vilification is certainly palpable.

-Hawerchuk's "uh"s. That was just classic.

-Music video. Classy.

Then the audio cut out on the version I downloaded. Time to try again!

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

I haven't had the chance to take the movie in - the family's asleep, and I should be too - but with all the talk about Kern-Hill, perogies, and Jets, I couldn't resist putting in my two cents.

Winnipeg has, by and large, gotten over the Jets. Yes, they'd love to see them back, and may never fully embrace the Moose as "our team," but the city no longer is in a holding pattern until we're back on the NHL map. "Shell of a city" is not exactly the way I'd describe it.

We aren't booming like Calgary, but we are growing and on the upswing. The MTS Centre was a bit of a catalyst, sparking some downtown revitalization that continues with the Manitoba Hydro building, the airport is being replaced (and renamed - the 'Winnipeg James H. Richardson International Airport'), the floodway is being expanded, the Bombers are probably 2-3 years away from a new stadium, and that's just the start of it.

...and to conclude, is there anything more 'Winnipeg' than to complain bitterly about the cold/snow to your neighbour one day, then brag about it as if its nothing the next day when talking to an acquaintance from Vancouver/Toronto/anwhere south of us? It's as 'Winnipeg' as Farmer Sausage or Dancin' Gabe.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived