Washington Nationals Concept

speedy

On the patch logo, I'd put: Washington Nationals Baseball Club, instead of just Washington Nationals Baseball.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i love the new lettering and numbering. i love the more incorporation of the DC logo. still love the shoulder patch.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Okay, just a couple of things... I started from scratch with the N, not sure if it's right yet. What do you all think?

I also revamped the shoulder patch, after looking at this concept for so long I realised the cartoony throwing senator (with a cigar in his mouth, mind you) would not be used in today's world.

Washington-4.png

More C&C please.

I'm sure the Jacksonville Jaguars will be calling you shortly about bastardizing their numbers... :D

nah--really, all jokes aside, THIS look more like a baseball team. That mess they got now look like something out of--I don't know what, I just know I don't like it. I DO like this set, and the time you put into it cannot be understated (and from having done my own concepts, I know how time-consuming putting together a GOOD, COMPLETE concept design can be...even more so with updates).

Thumbs-up there, folk.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The script is perfect now.

Let's make either the BP or Alternate blue.

I'm staying away from a blue jersey because of the Phillies use of blue ST jersey.

Erm, ST unis this year are red...

Phillies ROAD spring training set is blue. Their home set is red.

That said, I think that they should be a red team until the 2008 season. If Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton et al win the election, then they become a blue team for the 2009 season, else they stay red.

LvZYtbZ.png

The script is perfect now.

Let's make either the BP or Alternate blue.

I'm staying away from a blue jersey because of the Phillies use of blue ST jersey.

Erm, ST unis this year are red...

1172967780_5277.jpg1172967707_9817.jpg

1172967628_9941.jpg

...Potentially problematic...

:D

Another nice set from you, dude.

Most of my critiques have already been said, but the two that still stand out to me are these:

1. The "g" in "Washington" should hang lower, and the tail should pass through the loop. Having the letter overlie the slash look odd, and makes it harder to read - the eye expects the slash to pass through the loop of the letter.

2. The interlocking "DC" still doesn't look right. I don't have a way to fix it, and I will say it is closer, but I still don't like it. I'd agree with BallWonk that the "Walgreens W" could go as well, and a new "W" could be made up.

As far as the color scheme issue, I think the Nats are screwed either way. The Phillies wear red/white/royal, but predominantly red. They still wear blue BP jerseys on the road - but honestly, that two teams might wear the same BP jerseys is irrelevant, as no competition (Spring Training aside) occurs wearing those jerseys. The Braves wear navy/red, and the Mets wear royal/orange (and :cursing: black). The Nats could make royal/red/white their own colors; it would tie in a little bit with their history from their days in Montreal, and it would rid the world of one more team wearing navy (leaving it to the Braves in the division). Sure, the Phillies use royal and red, but their uniforms are much more red-heavy that a royal-dominant Nats set would be plenty of contrast. And since the Mets are all screwed up with their black uniforms, the Nats could make themselves the NL East's royal team. The only team they'd resemble at that point would be the Cubs; as long as they stay away from pinstripes, they could be OK; the Dodgers don't wear enough red so as to be an issue IMO.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I guess I'm the only one who likes the current Nats unis. Yes, the spaghetti/Walgreens "W" doesn't match the rest of the set, but I like it as tribute to their past. I also like the retro-beveled font used in the numbers and wordmark. I think Washington's road look is one of the best in baseball.

newsig.jpg

2. The interlocking "DC" still doesn't look right. I don't have a way to fix it, and I will say it is closer, but I still don't like it.

I agree it is still a little bit off. I think the "C" needs to be reduced just a little and then rotated such that the top remains where it is but the bottom moves slightly counterclockwise to the right. Does that make sense? it might be an optical illusion, but to me it just seems the two letters are on a different angle.

LT

I guess I'm the only one who likes the current Nats unis. Yes, the spaghetti/Walgreens "W" doesn't match the rest of the set, but I like it as tribute to their past. I also like the retro-beveled font used in the numbers and wordmark. I think Washington's road look is one of the best in baseball.

I agree with all of this except the notion that the pretzel W is a "tribute to their past." What past? 1963-1971? In baseball terms, that would be like France basing a new national identity around the symbols of the Vichy era and the German occupation. And yes, I'm calling Bob Short's ownership of the Senators the baseball equivalent of the Nazi occupation of France. Take that, Bob Short!

But anyway, about the new draft of the concept. Fix the descender on the "g" in "Washington," make the shoulder patch more readable by making the "Washington Nationals Baseball Club"* white or gold on blue (++) or red (+) with no outline, and you'll be really close to perfection. Closer still would be to ditch the thin three-color piping you're using from the current Nats unis in favor of something more in line with the look and feel of your concept. I still wouldn't trade the Nationals's current set for what you have on offer, but this concept is now one of only two I've ever seen that I wouldn't mind if the Nationals actually adopted. I love your new N; now that you've got such a well integrated script/cap logo set, I'm really digging this.

And for some reason, now that you've got the script in such good shape, I no longer see the Phillies when I look at these uniforms. Amazing how the subtlest of changes can have so radical an effect on the overall aesthetic of the uniform.

*If you really want to honor Washington's baseball history, you'd make that say, "Washington National Baseball Club," singular, the name of the very first Nationals squad in 1859.

20082614447.png

Very, very classy. I like the new shoulder patch. Really does give the team a bit of an identity. I like the move away from new agey logos and back to classic baseball script on the front of the jerseys. Blue outline looks quite nice.

I love anything that says DC instead of Washington, and thus I love the alternate logo and I love the Alternative jerseys. My only issue is I think the front number looks a bit awkward.

I give you props for making ST/BP jerseys, but, for reasons you have no control over, they really just don't look right. Why the armpit panel? Why?

jman077.png

Sig courtesy of LEWJ

i love anything that says DC too, considering to me, a marylander and virginia born, its not called "washington" we've always called it DC.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• 1 month later...

Archived