Washington Nationals Concept

speedy

Revisted this one yet again, this time cleaning up the script. I changed the tail to model the current Nats road uni's as well as finally crossing the T. I'm not sure if this is the best execution of crossing the T but I feel it fits nicely with the script, and also couldn't think of any other way to do it. But it had to be done.

NewNats.png

Comments?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No offense, since I know you've spent forever working on that N, but I think that it just doesn't feel right. It's a little too angular, and I would go with a larger lowercase N, like many script fonts have. Other than that, this is the perfect concept. Professional, clean, and above all good looking. It's the best MLB concept I've seen here not just in terms of professionalism but also into the way it has developed over time. I'm very impressed!

scotland_fifasig.png

OMG, LOL, WTF!!!1 STOP BRINGING UP OLD THREADS!!!!!!123456789 :P

I think it looks really good, but the letters you've created seem to be too thick. Compare your N with the Pretzel W, it's much heftier. Also, your s's look a bit different. The lower one is filled in a bit more. I don't mean to be all nit-picky, but it's grown so much, and you've spent so much time on it that I hate to not see you not only "finish it" (not that a designer ever thinks something is finished...), but make it the best it can be.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

OMG, LOL, WTF!!!1 STOP BRINGING UP OLD THREADS!!!!!!123456789 :P

I think it looks really good, but the letters you've created seem to be too thick. Compare your N with the Pretzel W, it's much heftier. Also, your s's look a bit different. The lower one is filled in a bit more. I don't mean to be all nit-picky, but it's grown so much, and you've spent so much time on it that I hate to not see you not only "finish it" (not that a designer ever thinks something is finished...), but make it the best it can be.

Sadly, the more I look at it the more I notice this. Which is annoying as all hell, mind you. The Nationals script to me is sub-par right now and will probably need a complete re-drawing, to totally sync up the letters.

I feel I'm satisfied with the Washington script (at least for a few months :P ) and will most likely stand pat on that.

What's everyone's thoughts on the new T?

Revisted this one yet again, this time cleaning up the script. I changed the tail to model the current Nats road uni's as well as finally crossing the T. I'm not sure if this is the best execution of crossing the T but I feel it fits nicely with the script, and also couldn't think of any other way to do it. But it had to be done.

NewNats.png

Comments?

On the Washington script, I would recommend having the tail run into the loop of the lower case "g", even if it doesn't show in the space of the loop. Then have the navy trim connect to the navy trim of the "g' and then same with the gold. It looks odd the way both the trim colors are seen between the loop and the tail. I think that would complete the Washington script. Also, with the Nationals script, the bottom of the letters are hitting the tail, aswear on the Washington script, there's an appropriate distance between them. When re-doing "Nationals" keep that in mind. Excellent work, nonetheless.

• 1 year later...

Well with a new season comes some updates to this concept. Not a lot of major changes here, however I have narrowed the Nationals script to fit more closely to the road script. I did keep the N a bit thicker, I'm not sure if it works or not, but it didn't look as well when matched with the width of the curly W. I've also included the stars and stripes logo, with a few minor changes. Now there is no dominant blue jersey (minus the S&S alternate) but I know a few of you, as well as the Nats F.O. like the dominant blue roads so I added a blue script as well as the alternates. I myself don't think the colors work as well together with blue lettering, but I'll leave that for you to decide.

Logos.png

Now here come the major changes. Home and Road are virtually unchanged except for the tweaking of the numbers (I'll post a full set later). The new red alternate showcases the Nationals script rather than the curly W. IMHO I don't think a letter should be placed on the breast of the jersey when a script is available for use. The new S&S alternate works of their current one with a few changes.

UniformLayout.png

UniformAction.png

C&C appreciated, and many thanks to everyone through the years for their help critiquing this.

I think the blue uniform (love the socks BTW) is perfect for a ONCE or TWICE a year alt. Maybe the series of July 4th and maybe Sept. 11th or Memorial Day or something. Its a fantastic concept but one I feel could be sadly overused and then end up looking pretty lame. If DC busted them out a few times a year it would be awesome. It would be one of those "I wish they wore them more often" unis like the Mets snow white with the blue cap.

The rest of the set is perfection IMO With the only exception being the "DC" logo. I'm not from that area but how do people associate Washington DC? with a "W" or a "DC" I just don't really see a need for it (although it looks nice). Especially on the road unis. It doesn't really make sense to me why there would be a W on the home and a DC on the road. Again, not saying it doesn't look great, I just don't see the connection.

Which one of these logos (if any) is the actual "Primary" logo.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

All in all it's a great concept. You fixed the primary problem of their current set, the inconsistencies.

Still, I would recommend a few tweaks. I would use the W on the road hat, and delegate the DC to the red batting practice set and the Stars and Stripes alternate.

Also, just my personal preference, but I'm not a fan of the number font. I think some variety of block would look better, but again that's just me.

great update. The Nationals script is just about as perfect as it could be. I love your take on the DC logo. The gold makes it all pop.

goforbroke, DC should absolutely be on the cap. They play in the District of Columbia, after all. Its a nice change up from what they have.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I like this concept... but there are 2 things that are throwing me off. The current DC logo... there is no need to change it... its perfect. The D and C you used seem to wavy, and you loose the impact of having the Initials logo i.e. NY, SF, StL, LA.

Second... The N. Some one mentioned it before. The W has a nice loop in the middle... I think it would be an interesting idea to carry that over to the N. Possibly the first leg | of the N. I think it would being the word marks together better.

Just my 4 cents. Nicely done with all the color pallets and displays.

EDIT: 2 other things. I kind of would like to see the loop in the G loop around the swoosh. Does that make sense? Instead of the leg of the g go in front of the swoosh, have the swoosh go through the loop.

Last, what template did you use for the BP jersey?

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I'm not from that area but how do people associate Washington DC? with a "W" or a "DC"

Locals associate the city with DC, definitely not W. As a DC resident, I would prefer if the Nationals used DC as much as possible. The curly DC hat created here looks great and I would love to see it fully replace the curly W and block DC.

I don't like the stars and stripe look and think the navy blue should be minimized as much as possible. The Nationals should play up the red. Red and white are the colors of DC, not red, white and blue. And with the Redskins wearing burgundy, the United in black and red, and the Caps "rocking the red", the Nationals should continue the association with red and DC sports.

I love the blue alt...fits better for them than any other team. I'm not offended by the flag, it's a great idea.

I'd say overall it's a upgrade over their current set with the "clunky" numerals.

87Redskins.png

I really like what you have done here with the scripts on the jerseys. Especially on the home jerseys with "Nationals". The only few things I'm not to huge on is the number font and the DC logo, and the script. I think that since your kind of going baseball old school with the scripts, I think just plain block numbers works great. The number font you've got just doesn't flow well with it in my opinion. On the DC logo, I don't know what exactly to suggest but it just looks funky from a distance. Maybe switch it back to the original one they have now, or space them out a little more or something. I just like the smoothness of the "Washington" script they have on their road uniforms right now. But your idea is getting there.

Other than that I reallly like this. You have done a great job on it.

"Every success is built on the ability to do better than good enough"

• 3 years later...

Bringing this thread back from the dead. Can't believe I created this thread over six years ago. Where does the time go?

I've had some time to revisit this and while I appreciate the tons of help I got in molding the script to what it was, I thought it still needed a lot of work. I took it completely back to the drawing board, I tried to create a sleeker version of what I had done, as well as a more uniform script for both uniforms. I'd like to think I've accomplished that, but we all know it's never finished. Unfortunately some people who contributed to the original concept are no longer active, I'd still like to hear your comments on how to fix what needs to be fixed.

Untitled1_zps2c190d38.png

Untitled2_zps8ba704aa.png

Untitled3_zpsd0a11750.png

Archived