Florida International University to Get New Stadium

rmackman

PFMMWNGIHFBEJGI.20070425133811.jpg

FIU Finalizes On-Campus Stadium Deal With Odebrecht Construction, Inc.

Courtesy: FIUSports.com

MIAMI (www.fiusports.com) ? Florida International University?s dream of a state-of-the-art, on-campus stadium is one step closer to reality after FIU and Coral Gables-based company Odebrecht Construction, Inc. signed a contract to begin construction, it was announced today.

?I am pleased that we have reached an agreement that allows us to get started on the stadium expansion," said FIU President Modesto A. Maidique. "The new stadium will become a landmark and a gathering place for the FIU community.?

The first phase of construction will bring the stadium?s capacity to approximately 18,000 and will featur 1,400 club seats, a 6,500 square-foot Panther Club, an upper concourse and 19 suites. Seating will include chairback seats and bench seating, all with backrests for fan convenience. Additional phases of construction will include a student support complex and will bring the stadium?s seating capacity to approximately 45,000.

?This will be the crown jewel of FIU?s athletic department,? Athletic Director Pete Garcia said. ?The stadium will be the vehicle that will take the athletic department to the next level.?

?We look forward to building an excellent facility; one that will enhance the campus environment and contribute measurably to FIU athletics, student life and the broader community,? said Gilberto Neves, CEO of Odebrecht Construction, Inc. The company, which has been operating in Florida for 16 years, is responsible for building two of Miami?s most important architectural icons ? the American Airlines Arena and Carnival Center for the Performing Arts ? as well as the expansion of Miami International Airport?s North and South Terminals.

The new stadium is set to open for FIU?s 2008 football season and will be the only Division I on-campus football stadium south of Orlando in Florida.

?This puts FIU on an even playing field, in terms of facilities,? head football coach Mario Cristobal said of the deal. ?Now local athletes have one more reason to stay home and build a championship program, and athletes from all over the state and country will have one more reason to come here. This will have a huge impact on recruiting and will give our students and fans something to rally around. It is a great foundation to build on.?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Has anyone else here noticed that, save for the Big Ten and other BCS conferences, the new college football stadiums look like overblown Erector sets with metal bleachers? What gives here?

QPR%20Sig.png

Has anyone else here noticed that, save for the Big Ten and other BCS conferences, the new college football stadiums look like overblown Erector sets with metal bleachers? What gives here?

That's because the Sun Belt Conference teams don't make nearly the amount of money that the other BCS teams do.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I thought the NCAA required I-A (or Football Bowl Series, or whatever it is now) teams to have stadiums with a minimum seating capacity of 30,000. I know the subsequent phases call for expansion to 45,000 seats, but wouldn't the original construction with just 18,000 seats run afoul of that rule?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On Campus. Say no more.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I thought the NCAA required I-A (or Football Bowl Series, or whatever it is now) teams to have stadiums with a minimum seating capacity of 30,000. I know the subsequent phases call for expansion to 45,000 seats, but wouldn't the original construction with just 18,000 seats run afoul of that rule?

I don't think it is capacity, the designation was on average attendance of at least 15,000/game. There is no mention of facility capacity in this document.

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance.../Footballqa.pdf

I don't think it is capacity, the designation was on average attendance of at least 15,000/game. There is no mention of facility capacity in this document.

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance.../Footballqa.pdf

San Jose State had to meet that 30,000 seat requirement by adding an upper level in the early 90's...very cheaply I might add....to stay D1. A few years ago they came out with a 15,000 a game attendence requirement, so SJSU started giving away tickets to students for free. The new stadium proposal is about the size as this FIU one.

The stadium looks good enough (and small enough) for MLSs return perhaps?

I guess you have never been to Spartan Stadium or Beaver Stadium, both are giant Erector Sets.

I'm pretty sure that at least 30,000 seats are required.

I guess you have never been to Spartan Stadium or Beaver Stadium, both are giant Erector Sets.

They're not new stadiums, either. They're existing stadiums that have been expanded. I'm comparing this to projects like TCF Bank Stadium in Minnesota.

QPR%20Sig.png

Archived