Yankees cap on TV tonight....

simpsontide

I'm watching the Yankees -Mets game and it looks to me like the Yankees "NY" if flat on their caps. The Mets "NY" is raised off the cap like the other MLB teams but it looks to me like the Yankees NY is not raised at all. Anyone else notice this? I saw it on Torre's cap but I haven't been watching long enough to see any of the Yankees players caps up close.

2qluyo7.png

Didn't notice that.

Did notice that the Mets NY is much more stylish and better looking than the Yankees NY.

As for the Mets uniforms tonigh - why on earth they waste their time with any other home jersey look but the one they wore tonight is baffling.

Not only razor sharp - but also quite possibly the best look in all of major league baseball...and yeah, that includes even a sharper suit than the Yankees home pins.

Maybe this is how the Yankees do "Turn Back the Clock"? That would be just about the only thing they'd have to change ...

I have to say, I agree with the argument that pinstripes should generally only be worn by teams with a pinstripe tradition (plus expansion teams, which are allowed to try to establish a pinstripe tradition). However, the Mets are a team with a pinstripe tradition. They've worn pinstripes from the get-go in '62, including two World Series championships in pinstripes, and the pinstripes remain their official regular home uniform (a designation that admittedly means nothing to that haberdashery-impaired team). On a matter of personal taste, I think the Mets look much sharper in pinstripes than the Yankees, but that's just me. I'm not a fan of one-color, no-outline uniforms with mismatching logos. Still, I really like the Mets all-white home uniforms, too. I just wish they'd pick one set, eliminate black from their uniforms, and go back to being one of the best-dressed teams in baseball instead of the second or third worst.

20082614447.png

I completely disagree.

Pinstripes are tacky, and unless tradition absolutely dictates it(like the Yankees, Cubs), I'd like to see them done away with completely.

The plain white Mets home jerseys kill the striped.

The Mets wore nothing but pinstripes at home from 1962-96 -- that was (is) a traditional reason for them to keep them and wear them exclusively.

This is the only home uniform the Mets need:

ng52mhTW.jpg

Simple and elegant. The white with piping separates them from the Yankees and established their own distinct visual identity. And the colors are both beautiful and distinct.

I agree completely, though I like the Mets pinstripes too. Add back the wide orange down-the-shoulder stripe and you've got your Yankees-lookalike problem solved.

But the non-pinstripe white home uni is fantastic too. The placket piping is the only thing I'd fiddle with; it's a bit too wide around the neck and creates an odd Y shape that emphasizes the slope of the players' necks and shoulders, which is not an attractive thing to do to an athlete. Maybe a second ring of piping right up against the neck would help -- it would be an old-fashioned touch that no one else is doing right now. Also, that script just doesn't need the black drop shadow.

20082614447.png

Pinstripes or bust. Minus the black dropshadowing of course.

fullj.getty-73395256mh024_new_york_yank_10_13_08_pm.jpg

fullj.getty-73395256mh014_new_york_yank_9_30_21_pm.jpg

I'll let those 2 speak for themselves...

And can we at least agree if they were to be sans pinstripes, that you'd need to make socks and undershirts blue and not black?

And can we also agree with the fact that these are just garbage?

capt.9855783ead5040e4a9d6084e31b75acd.yankees_mets_baseball_nyff116.jpg

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Pinstripes or bust. Minus the black dropshadowing of course.

fullj.getty-73395256mh024_new_york_yank_10_13_08_pm.jpg

fullj.getty-73395256mh014_new_york_yank_9_30_21_pm.jpg

I'll let those 2 speak for themselves...

And can we at least agree if they were to be sans pinstripes, that you'd need to make socks and undershirts blue and not black?

And can we also agree with the fact that these are just garbage?

capt.9855783ead5040e4a9d6084e31b75acd.yankees_mets_baseball_nyff116.jpg

I think the Mets look weird without pinstripes. And I never thought they looked like the Yankees... in fact I'm gettin' annoyed at the idea that the Yankees somehow have the market cornered on pinstripes. It's not like they were the only team wearing pinstripes when they first came out (1912, Washington wore them that same year). It's like trying to claim any team with a drop-tail script looks like the Buffalo Bisons (the first team with a drop-tail).

The Mets pinstriped uniforms look NOTHING like that of the Yankees - in fact as I have mentioned previously "Mets classics" is the best look in the game imo.

The only thing they should do is to remove the black drop shadows they now employ with that set - and NEVER wear the blue/black cap with the pinstriped unis.

Lastly can the Mets PLEASE come up with a blue jacket instead of that hideously bad looking thing they wear now?

Archived