New Football League to go against NFL

Bleujayone

Problem 3: Aiello is lying when he says the NFL is not expanding. The league is salivating at a chance to put franchises in Toronto and Mexico City and find a way back into Los Angeles.

I cannot see why the NFL would expand, 32 teams is such an easy number to evenly divide. It would be odd to see 6 divisions of 4 and 2 of 5. The league may want teams in those cities, but relocation would be a better thought.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Money is one of the main reasons the current owners don't want to expand. Sure the fee the new teams would have to pay would be huge but in the long run the current owners feel they will make more sharing revenue between 32 teams. The only reason they have 32 teams is because the Browns moved, had Art Modell stayed put the NFL would still be sitting at 30 teams.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to see how there could be a national TV audience for this, at least in fall. But local broadcast, and/or local game attendance? Why not? For one thing, if you can make money on pro soccer in the United States, and nowadays you can, why couldn't someone make money on football? I mean, until the Nationals showed up, DC United was consistently the second-best-drawing pro team in Washington, behind only the Redskins. So a pro-ish football team in LA or Vegas? I don't see why smart owners couldn't pretty quickly build a fan base and local TV audience.

What I don't get is the objection that the quality of play won't be up to the NFL's standards. Of course it won't. Neither is college football, which is mainly played by the two thousand young players who aren't good enough to be pros. There's a lot of crap football in the college game, and people love it. If the UFL could be to the NFL as a good AA team is to MLB, it will already be better football than most college games. And if the UFL structures its contracts right, the fact that it could serve as a sort of domestic minor league talent pool for the NFL could make it a bit of a draw. Anyway, the problem with the XFL wasn't that the football was so bad; it was that the football was so badly presented. There's an old saying that nobody ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the American public, but the XFL managed to do just that. If the UFL takes the game seriously and presents real football in a way that respects the game and the fans, then it is unlikely to suffer the swift death of the XFL. (More likely the slow bleed-to-death demise of the USFL.)

It's the timing that makes me wonder, though. I see how it might make sense to try to fill the fall football void in cities without NFL teams, but there just isn't a national fall audience for minor-league football. Spring and summer, sure, but not after the middle of August.

Then again, they said the AFL could never compete with the NFL, either. ^_^

20082614447.png

A spring-based football league could work, if it was able to get some immediate star-power and the right TV contracts. I'm all for something like that for at least some extra fun during the summer.

If they do go with big cities like Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Antonio, even a rumored Mexico City, then maybe it'll have market-power. Places like Iowa and Alabama? Maybe not.

Maybe the UFL will take advantage of Goodell's no BS approach to discipline problems in the NFL and will be able to showcase such beloved stars as Ricky Williams, Pacman Jones, and Michael Vick. But there has to be a rule that Vick goes to Mexico City if there actually is a team there.

Ron Mexico in Mexico...hilarious! He would be free to smoke weed and run dog fights out of his own house.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

If this league intends to compete with the NFL, they will just buy out the league and move it to the springtime and make it a better option for them instead of NFL Europa. You'd make more money state-side on a football league then you would having 4 teams play overseas where the majority of Europeans just go to games for the heck of it.

I tried putting together an 8-10 team league that could play in the fall and could not come up with enough locations to have teams that would not interfere with both NFL and major collegiate venues.

I tried putting together an 8-10 team league that could play in the fall and could not come up with enough locations to have teams that would not interfere with both NFL and major collegiate venues.

It completely depends upon what you deem "major collegiate venues".

Off the top of my head, I'd list San Antonio, Memphis, Las Vegas, Sacramento and Virginia Beach/Norfolk as major U.S. municipalities that don't play host to either NFL or major college football in the fall. I'd also argue that San Jose, El Paso, Portland, Oklahoma City, Long Beach, Omaha, Tulsa, Anaheim, Birmingham and Orlando are all sizeable U.S. cities that are either near NFL or major college markets, but not NFL/major college markets themselves, or you can question just how "major" their college football programs really are.

Another thought I had would be to possibly open up the option of playing in MLB stadiums, to open for more scheduling availability. Cities with venues like the ones below can feasibly hold a football field (based on Clem's Baseball)

Ameriquest Field - Arlington, TX

Angel Stadium - Anaheim, CA

Chase Field - Phoenix, AZ

Miller Park - Milwaukee, WI

Minute Maid Park - Houston, TX

Petco Park - San Diego, CA

SBC Park - San Francisco, CA

US Cellular Field - Chicago, IL

I'd also argue that San Jose, El Paso, Portland, Oklahoma City, Long Beach, Omaha, Tulsa, Anaheim, Birmingham and Orlando are all sizeable U.S. cities that are either near NFL or major college markets, but not NFL/major college markets themselves, or you can question just how "major" their college football programs really are.

What NFL market is near El Paso, Brian? El Paso is nearly 650 miles from Dallas, 450 from Phoenix, and 700 from Denver.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Another thought I had would be to possibly open up the option of playing in MLB stadiums, to open for more scheduling availability. Cities with venues like the ones below can feasibly hold a football field (based on Clem's Baseball)

Ameriquest Field - Arlington, TX

Angel Stadium - Anaheim, CA

Chase Field - Phoenix, AZ

Miller Park - Milwaukee, WI

Minute Maid Park - Houston, TX

Petco Park - San Diego, CA

SBC Park - San Francisco, CA

US Cellular Field - Chicago, IL

i can see milwaukee, thats a good one i missed, add them and u have a good slection of citys to have in the league, and most dont have NFL and so u get a good chance of a fan base and i bet it would get good tv numbers from all markets.

I'd also argue that San Jose, El Paso, Portland, Oklahoma City, Long Beach, Omaha, Tulsa, Anaheim, Birmingham and Orlando are all sizeable U.S. cities that are either near NFL or major college markets, but not NFL/major college markets themselves, or you can question just how "major" their college football programs really are.

What NFL market is near El Paso, Brian? El Paso is nearly 650 miles from Dallas, 450 from Phoenix, and 700 from Denver.

I think he was considering El Paso in the college market category.

Negative.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Problem 3: Aiello is lying when he says the NFL is not expanding. The league is salivating at a chance to put franchises in Toronto and Mexico City and find a way back into Los Angeles.

Maybe the league wants to have a team in LA, but the owners don't. They love the idea of the No. 2 market not having a team so they can milk the local taxpayers for new stadiums and other perks.

This would definetly work as long as:

-None of the games are played head to head with the Packers. In other words, if the Packers kick off at noon, the Milwaukee team doesn't play until 3 or 7.

-The team plays on the road whenever the Packers have a "gold" ticket package game (former County Stadium season ticket holders)

-The team makes it explicitly clear that they're not trying to compete with the Packers.

Milwaukee is a huge football maket and IIRC, the largest one that doesn't have a NFL, AFL or BCS conference college team within its market borders. The team wouldn't even have to be any team... the Mustangs sucked during most of their existence, and even they were drawing 14,000 fans back when the AFL didn't even have as much respect as it does now.

El Paso or Midland/Odessa would not be a bad place to put one of these franchises. I would however stay away from the Monahans area as that is a near ghost town which surprises me they have a competitive team as they do. Back in what was it 99 or so, they cam 2 games from state, losing out to the Aledo Bearcats in 3-A Regional finals i think?. But odessa has a big draw with Odessa Permian so getting people to follow a quasi-pro franchise shouldn't be difficult. Only thing is, someone would have to pony up the money for a stadium for a pro franchise and getting that thing built and with a league that may fold within a year, theres not many people willing to make the investment. Unless you play at one of the local college stadiums.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Negative.

I never claimed El Paso was near an NFL market. Rather, El Paso is amongst the cities that some would consider a major college market, but I do not.

As I pointed out in the phrase you've quoted:

I'd also argue that San Jose, El Paso, Portland, Oklahoma City, Long Beach, Omaha, Tulsa, Anaheim, Birmingham and Orlando are all sizeable cities that are either near NFL or major college markets, but not NFL/Major college markets themselves, or you can question just how "major" their college football programs really are.

In other words, while San Jose is a city "near" an NFL market, the rest of the cities I listed fall into the category of being near major college markets.

In other words, while San Jose is a city "near" an NFL market, the rest of the cities I listed fall into the category of being near major college markets.

You consider UTEP a near-major school for football? I know they've had a resurgence with Mike Price but I still wouldn't put them in the upper tier of mid-major schools just yet. Your mileage may vary though.

You consider UTEP a near-major school for football?

No. While I recognize that there are people who would claim that UTEP is a major college football team, in my original post I wrote that I "... question just how "major" their college football" program is. Hence, the reason that I listed El Paso amongst the markets that might support a franchise in a new pro football league.

No. While I recognize that there are people who would claim that UTEP is a major college football team, in my original post I wrote that I "... question just how "major" their college football" program is. Hence, the reason that I listed El Paso amongst the markets that might support a franchise in a new pro football league.

OK, I guess I just misread your post, because I agreed with all of your locations except for El Paso, for reasons I stated for naught. :P

OK, I guess I just misread your post, because I agreed with all of your locations except for El Paso, for reasons I stated for naught. :P

I had a teacher in high school that was a big football star in El Paso. It sounds like there are pretty crazy about football down there, and maybe could support a team. But probably not if they play friday nights in the fall, as high school football is big.

You consider UTEP a near-major school for football?

UTEP is the only major college in the region, granted compared to small time colleges like Sol Ross University in Alpine. Now compared to Texas Tech and A&M or even Temple Owls, it barely a mid sized college. Its just in the region its the biggest thing they got, until you reach Lubbock or Austin. I think though most follow the local high school teams.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived