New Football League to go against NFL

Bleujayone

*I wonder where else this League might set up shop and if they'll learn where other failed football leagues went wrong?

Report: New start-up league could rival NFL

The NFL may be the most successful league in the country, but that doesn't mean it's without competition.

Bill Hambrecht, a Wall Street businessman, and Tim Armstrong, a senior executive at Google, have decided to start up a rival football league, the United Football League, according to a report on the New York Times web site Wednesday. For those worried that the UFL will lack name recognition, Hambrecht and Armstrong already have one owner lined up: Mark Cuban, the billionaire owner of the Dallas Mavericks.

And though the league is having a difficult time finding other owners, it appears Cuban is committed to the plan. The league intends to play its first pre-season games in August of 2008.

And where will the league find the talent necessary to attract fans?

"(Former NFL coach) Bill Walsh used to tell me that the last 20 players cut from every team were almost interchangeable with the last 20 players to make the team," Hambrecht says.

So far, the UFL has decided to put teams in Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Mexico City. Cuban, unsurprisingly, is considering buying the team in Vegas, according to the report.

United Football League via FOX Sports Report

New York Times: "First & Long- VERY Long"

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worth a shot, but I smell an XFL just showing up

The XFL (regardless of what I thought of it) played one season. That's one more than this league will make (my not bold at all prediction).

It's where I sit.

The NFL may be the most successful league in the country, but that doesn't mean it's without competition.

To call this a rival, and or a competitor to the NFL is laughable at best. I read on another report that the franchise buy-in fee is $2 million. I really wish I knew what it was like to have that kind of money to throw away on a project like this that has zero chance of succeding...

Moose

Heh....I may actually watch, if only to see how horrible this is going to turn out. If they keep the same NFL rules, and get a nice TV deal, then maybe, just MAYBE, this project would have a snowball's chance in hell. If they try to do anything "cutting edge", such as the opening scrimmage instead of coin toss, or cheerleader locker room cams like the XFL, this league ain't going anywhere.

espnsig.gif

To call this a rival, and or a competitor to the NFL is laughable at best. I read on another report that the franchise buy-in fee is $2 million. I really wish I knew what it was like to have that kind of money to throw away on a project like this that has zero chance of succeding...

Moose

I'll let you know. :P

If it were not for Mark Cuban allegedly being involved, I would also be so bold as to predict that the UFL never takes the field. Even if he is involved, the odds are long.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The NFL will crush this league.

The NFL has TV time on all of the big 4 networks (ESPN, CBS, FOX, NBC & formerly ABC), the NFL has its own NETWORK, and it's already wildly popular in the U.S. This is one of those cases where if a rival pops up, then they're just wasting money in a crapshoot.

Now if it starts during the spring/summer, then it could work. But trying to go head to head against the NFL is just trying to deep-six your own league.

A spring-based football league could work, if it was able to get some immediate star-power and the right TV contracts. I'm all for something like that for at least some extra fun during the summer.

If they do go with big cities like Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Antonio, even a rumored Mexico City, then maybe it'll have market-power. Places like Iowa and Alabama? Maybe not.

GR30a5H.png

With a senior executive from Google and Mark Cuban on board, there's no limit to what could happen with this league.

I can't see it rivalring the NFL. I think the NFL would buy it out in some way if it even hinted at being close.

But will it get off the ground and play a season or more? I'd bet so.

I think that the NFL is the most "solid" of all the professional leagues, thue I see many holes within their plan.

1-Facilities: Where are they really going to play? Memphis, RFK (?), San Antonio, L.A. area, Portland (?), Orlando, Birmingham, Salt Lake City or most other XFL cities? Many of those markets have mid-level NCAA teams who often play on Friday nights. Most of these Conference USA teams, or similar teams using those facilicies. Citrus Bowl will be vacant, like Alamodome if not used for HS games.

2-NCAA eligibility: If they try to have a close college connextion, like the other league thougth of in the last 12 months, the local school will never allow them near their campus, if they know a kid can leave after one season or even if they sign a letter of intent.

3-Loss of $: They expect to lose millions of dollars in their first few years. Most large investors, those who may give at least $60 million may want the tax write-off, but generally they are known NOT to throw good money away. Waiting more than three seasons to break even is a bit much in today's entertainment marketplace.

If it were in the spring it would be awesome. What happened to the AAFL and their college grad thing? But we all know what happened when the USFL tried this....$1 settlement, sweet!

They ran out of money and became/will become vaporware.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

With a senior executive from Google and Mark Cuban on board, there's no limit to what could happen with this league.

I can't see it rivalring the NFL. I think the NFL would buy it out in some way if it even hinted at being close.

In honor of the USFL, I'll bet you $3 that it doesn't.

It's where I sit.

Who cares about UFL? It isn't going to last long.

I'm more interested in the All American Football League, or AAFL. I think it's more promising than the UFL and they don't intend to compete with the NFL. It could become a true "minor league" for football.

And it's spring football. Requirements for playing football? 4 years college degree. And the league has the support of major college and university presidents. So I'd keep an eye on this one.

In honor of the USFL, I'll bet you $3 that it doesn't.

Sure, why not? I'll put $3 on the UFL playing a season.

(1) The bet should be for $3.76. You guys forgot the interest.

(2) The UFL has a better shot to make it than the AAFL. In reading the NYT article I see Cuban's considering involvement, while T. Boone Pickens was also considering a franchise. That tells me something important: that the people being talked to have what I like to call "AstroBucks." Enough money that a loss of $20, even $50 million on their team isn't going to faze them. Guys who have long-term vision as well. Think about an ownership group similar to the MLS only for pro football, willing to take the losses over a long haul in an effort to build the brand and public acceptance. If I were with the NFL, I'd be concerned by that.

(3) The UFL, if it plays in the spring, can be viable. If it attempts to play in the fall, its DOA. The Friday night game idea is also unfeasible. TV ratings will suck no matter how good the games on Friday nights. Guys in the target demographics are wanting to get some female skin on Friday nights, not pigskin.

(4) The UFL, if it stays the hell away from most NFL markets, can be viable. The NYT article points out that the NFL currently operates in less than half of the Top 50 television markets. A competitor could put teams in eight cities - New York, Memphis, Orlando, Toronto, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Jose/Sacramento, and either Denver, Portland or Seattle - and do well with a spring schedule.

My attitude is to take a 'wait and see' approach, to see what kind of ownership they actually land, if any. If they're talking to the likes of Cuban and Pickens, they're in high roller country, which is good for its chances. If they wind up with the Berl Bernhard's and Marvin Warner's of the world however, they don't stand much of a chance.

If it were in the spring it would be awesome. What happened to the AAFL and their college grad thing? But we all know what happened when the USFL tried this....$1 settlement, sweet!

Apparently cyan, you don't know the whole story behind the USFL and its downfall. Perhaps when my book comes out next year you can educate yourself... or you can get a primer at USFL.INFO.

nav-logo.png

This could be a good business deal for the UFL creators. I'd buy a team if i had the money too. The NFL will see it as competition and throw even more money to them and buy the league for more than it cost them. Good in a business sense.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Archived