New Football League to go against NFL

Bleujayone

Either it could be shades of the old American Football League (which merged with the NFL in 1970) or the old USFL (which unsuccessfully attempted to move to its fall schedule for its 1986 season and eventually folded).

By the way, about the AAFL, that league starts next spring.

YOZXkBG.png?1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where would they be on the tv dial HDNet, Versus or G4? All of the decent outlets already have football and won't do anything to tick off the NFL and NCAA

CBS - NFL and SEC Football

NBC - NFL and Notre Dame Football

ABC - College Football

FOX - NFL

ESPN - NFL and College Football

Fox Sports Net - College Football

TBS - College Football

TNT is owned by AOL/Time Warner which also owns TBS

USA Network is owned by NBC

They would never survive on the low end tv networks like CW and ION and as the NHL is finding out Versus is useless since most people have no clue where the channel is if they have it or are not willing to shill out extra money to get it as part of a tier package.

This would work much better if it was a spring league. I think part of the problem with the XFL was that it had huge expectations. Their website had an FAQ and one of the questions was "Will a steel cage surround the field?". I think alot of people expected to see The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin playing football. When people relized it was a bunch of scrubs, they lost interest. The XFL had some nice ideas (like the alternative to a coin toss), but I think the fact that it was Vince McManhon's league hurt it. This is the first I've heard about it so I'm not really sure if it will make it off the ground. I'd have to check its progress, but I wouldn't be surprised if it played a season. They need to really hope that a Maurice Clarett or Mike Williams type player falls to them (someone that wants to play professionally, but is too young for the NFL). That will at least get someone interested, unlike a bunch of NFL cuts.

This would work much better if it was a spring league. I think part of the problem with the XFL was that it had huge expectations. Their website had an FAQ and one of the questions was "Will a steel cage surround the field?". I think alot of people expected to see The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin playing football. When people relized it was a bunch of scrubs, they lost interest. The XFL had some nice ideas (like the alternative to a coin toss), but I think the fact that it was Vince McManhon's league hurt it. This is the first I've heard about it so I'm not really sure if it will make it off the ground. I'd have to check its progress, but I wouldn't be surprised if it played a season. They need to really hope that a Maurice Clarett or Mike Williams type player falls to them (someone that wants to play professionally, but is too young for the NFL). That will at least get someone interested, unlike a bunch of NFL cuts.

just to see He Hate Me on the field was enough to keep me watching watching the XFL.

I just don't see this happening. I'd like to see an alternative to NFL but after the super bowl, generally most people are done with football and are on to either basketball playoffs, hockey playoffs or Baseball. Its the same case with WNBA. Good concept but the reason it lacks interest is because when the WNBA starts up, most people are done with basketball as most people watched a 82 game schedule and a 2 month playoffs. so generally people are burned out on basketball by the end of the NBA finals. Even if this starts up in the spring, i don't know if there will be the interest. I just don't see fans skipping basketball/hockey playoffs and/or spring training baseball to see a start up football league.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I just don't see this happening. I'd like to see an alternative to NFL but after the super bowl, generally most people are done with football and are on to either basketball playoffs, hockey playoffs or Baseball. Its the same case with WNBA. Good concept but the reason it lacks interest is because when the WNBA starts up, most people are done with basketball as most people watched a 82 game schedule and a 2 month playoffs. so generally people are burned out on basketball by the end of the NBA finals. Even if this starts up in the spring, i don't know if there will be the interest. I just don't see fans skipping basketball/hockey playoffs and/or spring training baseball to see a start up football league.

I'm not sure what it is like in other places, but I know alot of people here would be interested in a spring league. Just last week a friend of mine was saying this is his offseason for sports because he's not real interested in baseball. I know a few other people that our interested in baseball, but definitely perfer football. They may have to do with the fact that Baltimore is football town, with no NBA or NHL, and a terrible baseball franchises (Terps get a following, but that ends after March). If a league sticks around for a few years, letting people know its going to last, it could probably be pretty successful.

Just looked up the AAFL and I'm liking where its heading. It rewards the true student atheletes by giving them another chance for the pros. The NCAA is helping out so it gets some credibility. Plus it will be great to see some of the great college players still playing. Players like Jason White, Major Applewhite, and Timmy Chang are just a few people I can think of who where dominant in college but were never looked at for the NFL. It'd be great to continue watching them compete.

No one will watch this league if they decide to run in the fall. That would be its death sentence, and if they actually try to get this league up and running on an August-January schedule, it'll never see a down.

Spring is the way to go. The USFL could still be playing right now were it not for the buffoonery of owners who decided to demolish the salary cap and blindly follow Donald Trump off a cliff. The XFL could still be in operation right now were it not for the ego of Vince McMahon, and his stunning ability to take the wrong turn at every fork in the road when it came to the operations of his league. (Read the book "Long Bomb" for an excellent look behind the scenes at all the ways the XFL could have gone right, but didn't. And expecting Monday Night Football ratings on a Saturday Night didn't help.)

So, with stable ownership focused on the long term and willing to absorb heavy initial losses, the UFL could take off as a spring league. But in the fall, right up against the most media-dominant sports league in America? Forget it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I have to agree with many of you in here in that this new league should concentrate on having a season in the spring/summer rather that the fall/winter.

One thing that this new league should remember is that not only are they competing with the NFL brand of football but also NCAA and even CFL to an extent. A team based in say Birmingham, AL or Memphis, TN would find that if their teams were not performing top notch football, the fan base could just as easily swing their attention back to the local college teams for entertainment.

I imagine the majority of teams would be based in markets that do not host NFL teams. Cities that come to mind include Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Portland, Birmingham, Memphis, San Antonio, Austin, Orlando, Raleigh, Columbus OH, Hartford, Milwaukee, Sacramento, San Jose, Shreveport, Tulsa, Honolulu,and Salt Lake City in the US and Mexico City and Toronto outside. Other large market cities such as New York, Chicago, or Detroit might be utilized to help better the television market choices and to give it more of an air of big-time of bush league.

Another problem that this league will also face is that of attracting quality talent. Nobody wants an entire league of teams who's rosters consist of cast-offs, has-beens, and never-was. This means they're going to have to bite the collective bullet and shell out some cash for proper players. But it also means that they're going to have to let some prospects go- the NFL has infinitely deeper pockets and could easily price them out of existence.

Finally if this league is really serious about staying around, they should consider being as strict with the owners and administration as the NFL is. This includes a strictly enforced salary cap so that teams aren't competing against each other outspending one another into bankruptcy, equal revenue sharing for media coverage (including online coverage), a structured five-year plan instead of living from year to year, and doing what's best for the league as a whole instead of allowing a handful of teams dominate on the field and prosper financially off it.

Personally even if I had the money, I'm not sure I'd really want to invest in such a league if it wasn't properly run. But since the alternative is shelling out $1 Billion+ for an NFL team, this might be the only real opportunity someone might have at owning a legitimate professional football team.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

(1) The bet should be for $3.76. You guys forgot the interest.

(2) The UFL has a better shot to make it than the AAFL. In reading the NYT article I see Cuban's considering involvement, while T. Boone Pickens was also considering a franchise. That tells me something important: that the people being talked to have what I like to call "AstroBucks." Enough money that a loss of $20, even $50 million on their team isn't going to faze them. Guys who have long-term vision as well. Think about an ownership group similar to the MLS only for pro football, willing to take the losses over a long haul in an effort to build the brand and public acceptance. If I were with the NFL, I'd be concerned by that.

(3) The UFL, if it plays in the spring, can be viable. If it attempts to play in the fall, its DOA. The Friday night game idea is also unfeasible. TV ratings will suck no matter how good the games on Friday nights. Guys in the target demographics are wanting to get some female skin on Friday nights, not pigskin.

(4) The UFL, if it stays the hell away from most NFL markets, can be viable. The NYT article points out that the NFL currently operates in less than half of the Top 50 television markets. A competitor could put teams in eight cities - New York, Memphis, Orlando, Toronto, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Jose/Sacramento, and either Denver, Portland or Seattle - and do well with a spring schedule.

My attitude is to take a 'wait and see' approach, to see what kind of ownership they actually land, if any. If they're talking to the likes of Cuban and Pickens, they're in high roller country, which is good for its chances. If they wind up with the Berl Bernhard's and Marvin Warner's of the world however, they don't stand much of a chance.

If it were in the spring it would be awesome. What happened to the AAFL and their college grad thing? But we all know what happened when the USFL tried this....$1 settlement, sweet!

Apparently cyan, you don't know the whole story behind the USFL and its downfall. Perhaps when my book comes out next year you can educate yourself... or you can get a primer at USFL.INFO.

Mentioning the USFL makes me posit this scenario. What if the UFL does get these "astrobucks" owners like Cuban, but one or more of them "pulls a Trump" and tries to force a merger because what they really want is to have a NFL team. (Besides unpleasant things for the UFL).

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

just to see He Hate Me on the field was enough to keep me watching watching the XFL.

I still love the two linebackers on the opposing team who had nameplates that said: "I Hate He" and "I Hate He Too" That was truly classic.

The dumb things that these competing leagues do is promise to bring football to cities that don't have an NFL team. If those markets were indeed strong enough to support a team they'd already have a team. This league won't make it past draft day regardless if they get Mark Cuban or Cuba Gooding Jr. to own a team.

Hold on, people. T. Boone Pickens pulled OUT. He's a smart guy. That should tell you something right there.

I imagine the majority of teams would be based in markets that do not host NFL teams. Cities that come to mind include Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Portland, Birmingham, Memphis, San Antonio, Austin, Orlando, Raleigh, Columbus OH, Hartford, Milwaukee, Sacramento, San Jose, Shreveport, Tulsa, Honolulu,and Salt Lake City in the US and Mexico City and Toronto outside. Other large market cities such as New York, Chicago, or Detroit might be utilized to help better the television market choices and to give it more of an air of big-time of bush league.

Problem 1: just about every one of these cities you mention have mid-sized soccer-specific stadiums: Home Depot Center, PGE Park, Rentschler Field, Crew Stadium, BMO Park, Toyota Park, Red Bull Park, etc. With the Beckhamization of MLS, the UFL probably won't have a chance at the smaller facilities.

Problem 2: ANY expansion league with Birmingham, Memphis, and Shreveport WILL NOT SURVIVE.

Problem 3: Aiello is lying when he says the NFL is not expanding. The league is salivating at a chance to put franchises in Toronto and Mexico City and find a way back into Los Angeles.

The National Football League is such a juggernaut that the ONLY way the UFL will survive is if it buys the WPFL, IWFL, and WNFA and starts a gigantic women's nationwide league.

Problem 3: Aiello is lying when he says the NFL is not expanding. The league is salivating at a chance to put franchises in Toronto and Mexico City and find a way back into Los Angeles.

I cannot see why the NFL would expand, 32 teams is such an easy number to evenly divide. It would be odd to see 6 divisions of 4 and 2 of 5. The league may want teams in those cities, but relocation would be a better thought.

Problem 1: just about every one of these cities you mention have mid-sized soccer-specific stadiums: Home Depot Center, PGE Park, Rentschler Field, Crew Stadium, BMO Park, Toyota Park, Red Bull Park, etc. With the Beckhamization of MLS, the UFL probably won't have a chance at the smaller facilities.

Problem 2: ANY expansion league with Birmingham, Memphis, and Shreveport WILL NOT SURVIVE.

The National Football League is such a juggernaut that the ONLY way the UFL will survive is if it buys the WPFL, IWFL, and WNFA and starts a gigantic women's nationwide league.

While I will grant you most of the smaller markets out there alone cannot sustain a major sports league of any type, neither will many cities that already have an NFL team- even a poorly performing one. When the USFL voted to move from their spring schedules to the fall many of the teams involved either moved to non-NFL markets, merged with other teams, or just closed up shop rather than compete with the NFL. The result was that non-NFL cities were the main support in the league's final year. So unless they pick very large cities that can support two football teams it is unlikely a new league is going to have exclusive NFL markets.

About the only way I can envision this league surviving is as a (AAA) feeder league to the NFL, otherwise as I've already mentioned I have real difficulty seeing long term success going head-to-head with the NFL.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

I cannot see why the NFL would expand, 32 teams is such an easy number to evenly divide. It would be odd to see 6 divisions of 4 and 2 of 5. The league may want teams in those cities, but relocation would be a better thought.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

saBS.png

Why assume the NFL wants just two more teams? For their next stage of expansion, I'm thinking the NFL is looking toward a 36-team league - 6 teams x 6 divisions. Maybe even 9 teams x 4 divisions, with division rivals playing each other just once instead of twice, so the divisions would feel more like college football conferences.

As for the locations of the four new teams, Toronto, Mexico City and Los Angeles are presumably shoo-ins; that leaves just one other city to decide upon. Vancouver, perhaps?

CCSLC signature.png

Just FYI, I heard on the radio that the league plans to play on Friday nights...

Frankly, if you are going to do a fall schedule, this has to be the best day to play games. I know there are high school games, but I don't think that high school football will be that big of a detrament to it's potential viewers.

As for me, I'll watch if the Detroit/Michigan area receives a team (Pontiac Silverdome anyone?).

Why assume the NFL wants just two more teams? For their next stage of expansion, I'm thinking the NFL is looking toward a 36-team league - 6 teams x 6 divisions. Maybe even 9 teams x 4 divisions, with division rivals playing each other just once instead of twice, so the divisions would feel more like college football conferences.

As for the locations of the four new teams, Toronto, Mexico City and Los Angeles are presumably shoo-ins; that leaves just one other city to decide upon. Vancouver, perhaps?

You know, I had not thought of it that way. I guess it is a possibility, just as long as we don't end up with an odd number of teams, I couldn't stand the way it was back when Cleveland became the 31st team and each week had at least one by week.

Just FYI, I heard on the radio that the league plans to play on Friday nights...

Frankly, if you are going to do a fall schedule, this has to be the best day to play games. I know there are high school games, but I don't think that high school football will be that big of a detrament to it's potential viewers.

As for me, I'll watch if the Detroit/Michigan area receives a team (Pontiac Silverdome anyone?).

Playing games on Friday nights is a death sentence...high school football is huge in some states and this league would lose big time in ratings and attendence. Try getting ratings in Texas. Mexico City will probably be somewhat successful simply because of the lack of American football there.

This is basically a bunch of bored billionaires with too much time and money on their hands....I agree that this league will mabye get one year in tops.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

A spring-based football league could work, if it was able to get some immediate star-power and the right TV contracts. I'm all for something like that for at least some extra fun during the summer.

If they do go with big cities like Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Antonio, even a rumored Mexico City, then maybe it'll have market-power. Places like Iowa and Alabama? Maybe not.

Maybe the UFL will take advantage of Goodell's no BS approach to discipline problems in the NFL and will be able to showcase such beloved stars as Ricky Williams, Pacman Jones, and Michael Vick. But there has to be a rule that Vick goes to Mexico City if there actually is a team there.

Archived