Copa America 2007 - Not on American ESPN 2?!?!

rmackman

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Landon Donovan whiffed on a kick that would've made it 3-0 and sealed it.

Oh well. It's looking so far like the U.S. is gonna have a chance to defend Copa Oro.

2-1 USA. 14 and some change left to play.

Uh oh.

The refs called it offside. The call was MIGHTY iffy though, because the Canadians passed the ball, deflected off of one of the US players' and into the legs of the Canadian striker. The refs called it offside, but IIRC, that wouldn't be offside, rather a turnover since the US touched it, and therefore we'd be talking about extra time.

But a break is a break. Shades of 2006 WC officiating.

The refs called it offside. The call was MIGHTY iffy though, because the Canadians passed the ball, deflected off of one of the US players' and into the legs of the Canadian striker. The refs called it offside, but IIRC, that wouldn't be offside, rather a turnover since the US touched it, and therefore we'd be talking about extra time.

I thought the break was more of the players being even. I just called a buddy of mine, who's a US Soccer ref (local level), and found the deflection doesn't cancel out the offsides, because the USA player did not control it.

LvZYtbZ.png

I thought the break was more of the players being even. I just called a buddy of mine, who's a US Soccer ref (local level), and found the deflection doesn't cancel out the offsides, because the USA player did not control it.

OK. But the guy who got it called on him was LIVID, so I was figuring whether or not the refs effed up the call.

Absolutely, Canada was robbed. Of course, I was rooting for the U.S. all the way (especially since I have tickets to the final), but I can be honest with myself and say that was an atrocious call. Hutchinson was perfectly positioned when the ball was struck.

Now, whom shall we face...?

IF that thing they're asking me to download is spyware/malware/virus clean, then I'm down.

I assume that what ever it was, is safe. My cousin uses the site much more than I do and has never run into any problems. I've had some problems trying to get some of the links to work, but I'm also really bad with computer stuff. I can tell you the thing I downloaded to watch Italian games works well and is safe. If you want more info I'm sure you can sign up for their forums (I have yet too). I think you can even request for games to be streamed.

US vs. Mexico in the Gold Cup Final.

Considering the US has been somewhat impressive, and Mexico's offense has been somewhat dissappointing...I'm predicting that the US is gonna win the Gold Cup...again.

And looking at that play again...Canada got screwed, WOW.

For those who want to see the play themselves, the play is shown at about the 6:10 mark here.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=w8Kt7eNSwYA

Boy, that tackle by Bocanegra at the beginning of the clip was quite nasty... :blink:

Here's a FoxSoccer.com writer's take,

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/6951128

He reports, you decide....

Now here's the funny thing. At first, I almost went out and bought a Canadian mounty uniform to wear and show my solidarity with the Maple Leaf faithful, but I've reviewed this play at the end of the Gold Cup semifinal match between the U.S. and Canada over and over again and, after numerous conversations with colleagues and fans alike, come to the following conclusion.

The referee got it right.

Please, put down those tomatoes. I know it hurts, but it's true. The ref made the right call.

Here's why: When the final pass was played back into the box, it was intended to reach MLS MVP and Canadian star Dwayne DeRosario ? not Atiba Hutchinson.

As you can see by this still frame, the pass' intended recipient (DeRosario) is clearly offside.

It seems that everyone keeps focusing on Atiba Hutchinson since he scored the goal, but the intent of that pass had zero to do with the Copenhagen player and everything to do with DeRosario.

By the time Onyewu ridiculously headed the ball into his own box for Hutchinson to latch onto, the whistle had correctly been blown and rendered everything that happened after that completely irrelevant.

I saw, I came, I left.

Now here's the funny thing. At first, I almost went out and bought a Canadian mounty uniform to wear and show my solidarity with the Maple Leaf faithful, but I've reviewed this play at the end of the Gold Cup semifinal match between the U.S. and Canada over and over again and, after numerous conversations with colleagues and fans alike, come to the following conclusion.

Please, put down those tomatoes. I know it hurts, but it's true. The ref made the right call.

Here's why: When the final pass was played back into the box, it was intended to reach MLS MVP and Canadian star Dwayne DeRosario ? not Atiba Hutchinson.

As you can see by this still frame, the pass' intended recipient (DeRosario) is clearly offside.

It seems that everyone keeps focusing on Atiba Hutchinson since he scored the goal, but the intent of that pass had zero to do with the Copenhagen player and everything to do with DeRosario.

By the time Onyewu ridiculously headed the ball into his own box for Hutchinson to latch onto, the whistle had correctly been blown and rendered everything that happened after that completely irrelevant.

Werd.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I don't know what replay this guy is looking at, because in the replays i've seen both Hutchinson and De Rosario are onside when the ball is sent in. Even if Onyewu doesn't head the ball, both players were in onside positions when the ball was first sent in.

1zqy8ok.gif

Awright. Good job, USMNT!!! Gold Cup champs, fantastic job. Even though I'd give them a grade of D- on their finishing (How in the HELL did Beasley sky a tap-in from 4 feet away?! What the hell was that?!), they still beat Mexico. Once they tied the game, Mexico was finished.

Good job, and time for them to get owned in Copa America!!!

Awright. Good job, USMNT!!! Gold Cup champs, fantastic job. Even though I'd give them a grade of D- on their finishing (How in the HELL did Beasley sky a tap-in from 4 feet away?! What the hell was that?!), they still beat Mexico. Once they tied the game, Mexico was finished.

Remind me again why we're not sending our best for this?

LvZYtbZ.png

Remind me again why we're not sending our best for this?

.... because Copa America is, in the long scheme of things, not that important to the US team. The Gold Cup was more important because the winner (i.e. the US) gets a berth into the Confederations Cup in 2009, and probably, as a result the US Soccer Association gets more money. Hopefully, the Confederations Cup will be the only time the US plays in South Africa... :P

You could say that the US can use this tournament to see where they stand against the powerhouses like Brazil and Argentina, but other than that, what's the benefit?

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived