Copa America 2007 - Not on American ESPN 2?!?!

rmackman

It would appear the only way you'll be able to watch the United States play in Copa America later this month would be through Univision or GolTV. Both of those are premium channels. I guess I'll be unable to watch the games :cry: . I was going to have a watch party at my house for USA vs. Colombia and extend Independnce Day an extra evening. Would've been fun. :cursing:

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's see... Copa America is in Venezuela... what kind of a competition is it? South American.... who would most likely be watching it... I'll say people of hispanic origin.... and it makes me wonder why the US accepted the invitation to Capa America in the first place considering the mind set of one Hugo Chavez... :therock:

I saw, I came, I left.

I'm confused as well as to why the U.S. and Mexico are playing in what essentially is the South American championship, especially when it's so soon after the Gold Cup. Did they just need to fill out the tournament and make an even 16 teams? Have other countries been invited to play in the past?

EDIT: Found the answer to my own question. From Wikipedia:

"The participating nations are Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela. Two invited teams from other confederations complete the 12-team field. As CONMEBOL only has the 10 members mentioned above, there is no qualification tournament, neither is there a qualification tournament for invitees; they are invited on their own merits, such as by winning matches in World Cup finals or from qualification stages in their confederations. Mexico and USA are the two invitees for the 2007 cup. ...

"Since 1993, two teams from other confederations (often preferably CONCACAF, as a lot of its members are geographically and culturally close to CONMEBOL's members) are also invited. So far, the invited teams have been Costa Rica (1997, 2001, 2004), Honduras (2001), Japan (1999), Mexico (1993, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2007), and the United States (1993, 1995, 2007). The USA has also been invited every year since 1997, but turned down the invitation due to scheduling conflicts with the USA's top professional league (MLS). However, on October 30, 2006, the US Soccer Federation accepted the invitation for participation in the 2007 tournament, ending a 12 year absence. For the Copa América 2001, Canada was an invitee, but on July 6, 2001 withdrew because of security concerns."

I'm confused as well as to why the U.S. and Mexico are playing in what essentially is the South American championship, especially when it's so soon after the Gold Cup. Did they just need to fill out the tournament and make an even 16 teams? Have other countries been invited to play in the past?

Because there isn't 16 countries to compete in South America. If you take out French Guiana and Suriname and Guyana, that leaves you with 10 countries. Even if you did add them, that only gives you 13.

Plus, this is Copa America, as in 'America's Cup'? So, why not add Mexico and the U.S. to compete.

Because there isn't 16 countries to compete in South America. If you take out French Guiana and Suriname and Guyana, that leaves you with 10 countries. Even if you did add them, that only gives you 13.

Plus, this is Copa America, as in 'America's Cup'? So, why not add Mexico and the U.S. to compete.

Amen

I don't care if there's a reason to play or not. It's a big enough soccer tournament that I want to watch it...and I can't. That pisses me off!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Amen

Well... why are some folks calling as "World Series" to a baseball super final series between two North American teams ?

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

GOLTV's gonna show it in English.

But, alas, I do not have GOLTV (I have to watch the All Gol Show on OnDemand to follow La Liga). And of course ESPN's not gonna show it. They now basically market football to the hispanics. That explains why on SportsCenter they normally show soccer highlights during the Deportes Minute, and that doesn't even come on every day. If they can't be :censored:ed to cover something for a minute on their highlight show unless its the World Cup, then how do you figure they're gonna show a "minor" cup to then in their eyes? It's dumb, but that's the way it is.

But thank God I have Univision. It might be in Spanish, but it's the best I have. :D

soccer fans now know the frustration us hockey fans endure. the disrespect from ESPN is astounding when it comes to marginally popular sports here in the states but by God they gotta show their fishin and tv poker.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

soccer fans now know the frustration us hockey fans endure. the disrespect from ESPN is astounding when it comes to marginally popular sports here in the states but by God they gotta show their fishin and tv poker.

Yeah no kidding. FISHING ON TV!?!? The fun of fishing is hanging out with your buddies in the open water, nice weather, a couple of beers, and snaggin' some dinner while having some fun. Fishing on TV!?!? That's kind of like watching grass grow.

spacer.png

Yes. Nothing says disrespect like showing all 31 games of a Confederation's tournament that the US isn't even a member of.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

So wait, ESPN's gonna show all the games of Euro 08?

WTF, how awesome (yet backwards) is that?! I think this is the first time they've done this. Surprising.:grin:

Still won't show Copa America though. :cursing:

Thank God for Univision. If you got it, at least you can watch it in Spanish versus not watching it at all. I can't wait for it.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Thank God for Univision. If you got it, at least you can watch it in Spanish versus not watching it at all. I can't wait for it.

Well, then....I guess I'm set then.

I still shouldn't have to watch it on Univision. I mean, isn't this tourny big enough for someone to put into english?!? :cursing:

US versus Guatemala was on FSC...won the match 1-nil.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Yeah, Copa America is in three weeks. Anyways, the U.S. looked good against Guatemala in the first half but fell apart in the second. Good composure though to hold them off after Gooch got sent off.

Archived