Salt Lake FC

kewp80

NO to Real Salt Lake and NO to Salt Lake Football Club or Salt Lake FC.

This is America. Football here is played with helmets, shoulder pads and a pointy ball.

This is America. We don't call our names stupid things like Real Salt Lake or Salt Lake FC. We call them stupid names like the Utah Jazz. But at least the Jazz is a nickname, which goes with American teams.

Keep American teams American or move the damn team to Madrid. :unclesam:

Why does it seem like....

a. No one can ever post an MLS concept without someone complaining about the "un-american-ness" of tradtional soccer names.

b. The people who complain about such names are probably the LAST people who would ever buy a ticket to an MLS game?

Although I will say that I'm not too fond of teams taking on Euro-style nams for the sake of sounding European. If a Euro-style name can make sense for cultural reasons (such as DC United, since DC is the US capital) then I don't have a problem with it, but there's really nothing about Salt Lake City or Utah that would lend itself to any euro-type names.

I do like the bottom right badge though. Even though I would prefer the Salt Lake club pick up a name like "Salt Lake Swarm."

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't give a flying F if the logo's looked un-american or too european, the sport isn't north american in its roots, so why bother even trying to make it american or canadianized or whatever ized you want to make it.

I like that the soccer team logos are eurpean-ish. I like how the badges look in the soccer leagues, the toronto fc crest is awesome, ones like that are great.

A while back someone did a canada one like that with the moose, that thing was beautiful, did it have a bit of the euro flavour? yeah, but the sport is european.

I HATE the current identity of the Salt Lake MLS franchise. The name Real Salt Lake just seems fake and cheap to me, so I've tried to solve this problem with a new name, and a new identity. I kept the basic colors, just changed some of the shades.

I put the mountains from the wordmark in the background of the shield, and made the shield itself the shape of a honeycomb, to show the history of the bee. The light blue area on the bottom represents the Great Salt Lake.

Anyway I just wanted to get some C&C on this cause it just doesn't seem finished to me, and I don't know what to do next. What do you guys think?

badge1.png

PS: Hopefully I'll do some uniforms later on once I get the badge figured out.

I like how this looks, if you just made it into a more traditional crest, it'd be perfect, i didn't like the updates you made, with the yellow/blue/yellow outline in the crest or the font choices. This one with a proper crest is a winner to me.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Ok, here's how it looks, I changed it up a little from the one above, but I do really like this version, although it kinda seems plain where the lake and mountains meet. What do you guys think?

badges6.png

Like the design of this crest. But the water under the mountains look too "Colorado Rapids". What if there's a skyline of SLC where the water is. Sorry just using my imagination.

untitled21.jpg

Redskin IS a racist term, no matter how Daniel Snyder tries to spin it.

I think a good U.S. soccer logo/badge hits the midpoint between looking like a U.S. "logo" and a European "badge." I think this dips more towards the European side which, as much as I like your work, probably wouldn't work for MLS.

I prefered the hexigonal badge to the shield you're using now. I tend to get bored real easy with shields and the hexagon made sense because it's shaped like a honeycomb (Utah being the beehive state and all). And it does share a lot of basic similarities with the Colorado Rapids badge. But I still like the direction you're going in. Maybe instead of actually writing out "Salt Lake Football Club" or "Salt Lake FC," try using an interlocking "SLC" or "SLFC."

I still like what you're going for overall though. Just keep at it.

OK, to get away from my anti-European sentiments for just a little bit and concentrate on the logo:

The Mormon Temple needs to play more of a major role in the SLC skyline if you're going to use the SLC skyline in a logo. Things in a logo should recognizable, and those other buildings just don't have the recognition of the Mormon Temple. I'm sure the good people in SLC would like to say they're more than Mormons or Mormon heritage, but that temple is the most recognizable building in SLC.

If you go for the SLC badge, I think the SLC should be bigger. And the soccer ball... the shadow doesn't really go along with the rest of the badge, and it's the only use of black on the entire thing which seems a little off setting.

Other than that I really like the latest incarnation, and the use of colors. Don't know what colors the buildings should be, I'm undecided. Or maybe one of each color?

Quest2copy.pngnflseattlelr4.png

fifaunitedstateschampsnc4.pngTottenhamHotspur.png

Bottom right hexagon is spot-on. I love that it resembles a soccer panel and has just a bit of water in it versus the regular badge. Great job incorporating the buildings.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

The hexagon is great, the colors are great, the skyline is a great idea.

But why o why is the water moving? I'm gathering that the body of water represents the Great Salt Lake... which shouldn't have such prominent waves as to merit a large undulation in the water element of your badge. I am aware that even lakes are subject to the effects of the moon and tides, but the Great Salt Lake doesn't have waves like the one you show in your logo - that'd better serve a team on the coast. That wave, juxtaposed against the skyline, makes it look as if a tidal wave is bearing down on the Temple. Bad vibes... :P

That aside, me likey.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

i have a question, im trying to do a soccer badge myself and i cant draw a badge for the life of me in paint, is it possible i could get the badge template that you used? i would appreciate it greatly.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

i have a question, im trying to do a soccer badge myself and i cant draw a badge for the life of me in paint, is it possible i could get the badge template that you used? i would appreciate it greatly.

I didn't use a template really, I just drew a triangle and bent the lines, if I were you I would download paint.NET so you can bend lines and stuff easier, or get Inkscape, a free vector program, other than that either use the bend tool on paint, or find something on google images that looks like the same shape as a soccer badge.

Anyway, thanks for all the great C&C on this guys, I just got back in town from vacation, so I'll try and update this asap.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Archived