NHL Divisions Concept

jkrdevil

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like the logos. Division layouts OK. Division names are not. Dooms hockey to a lower-than-fourth-tier sport since casual fans will say "Patrick who?") Also, never give Chris Berman another reason to say "NFL Norris."

Patrick = East

Adams = North

Norris = Central

Smythe = West

(Hockey should really not have a South Division, should it?)

Packers-2.png

Like the logos. Division layouts OK. Division names are not. Dooms hockey to a lower-than-fourth-tier sport since casual fans will say "Patrick who?") Also, never give Chris Berman another reason to say "NFL Norris."

Patrick = East

Adams = North

Norris = Central

Smythe = West

(Hockey should really not have a South Division, should it?)

How would it be any different than American or National in baseball in football. Those aren't geographic names and people can keep straight which teams are in which conference/league. Also the casual person should be able to tell which division is which geographic location unless they don't know where the cities are in. In that case they have a problem because most adults should know where major metropolitan cities are located.

I don't think the league should hide from it's history (and by history I mean that as they are named after the Original 6 builders not how long the names were used before). The league should be showcasing it's history because it's age will make it seem like a bigger event than it may actually be. Showing the fact that the league is 80 something years old does not make it look like a lower than 4th tier sports as the low sports are newer leagues.

The division logos you whipped up keep me from :censored:ting all over this as another pointless realignment concept. That and the sexy division map. Anyway, as opposed to some suggestions, keep the Hawks in the Norris. I'd go with two conferences: Wales, Campbell. Not necessarily geographically structured.

I think I'm one of three NHL fans that...

(1) Likes the geographical names.

(2) Would be more than happy if the Western and Eastern conference teams never met during the regular season, and

(3) Loves the amount of divisional games there currently are.

You might be happy, but Western teams would not be because they wouldn't be able to see Crosby and company during the season.

I'm coming from a Western perspective though.

I just have no desire to see Crosby or company. Star players have never attracted me to a game. I like good teams.

And while yes, sometimes I do enjoy watching someone so skilled, every other national TV game seemed to have the Pens, so...there ya go.

I'd but the Canes in the Norris, move Chicago to The Adams, and the Bruins to the Patrick. Otherwise perfect.

either way... you have 4 of the original 6 in the same division. thats overkill. either do all 6 (which would be stupid IMO) or spread em out as best you can.

I'd but the Canes in the Norris, move Chicago to The Adams, and the Bruins to the Patrick. Otherwise perfect.

either way... you have 4 of the original 6 in the same division. thats overkill. either do all 6 (which would be stupid IMO) or spread em out as best you can.

Look at my divisions, I have Boston, Montreal, and the Rangers in the Adams while the other three original Six Squads are in the Norris.

(2) Would be more than happy if the Western and Eastern conference teams never met during the regular season, and

Make it four because I'm in there too!

I like your #1 thing, and I can live with #3, but you can't "segregate" the two conferences. It's not meant to be like the AL and NL (although even in MLB I like a little bit of interleague).

As for the OP's concept of division logos, I like them, but really it's a bit much.....and the NHL, or any of the other Big 4 sports, will NEVER scrap the conference format.

espnsig.gif

All of which begs the question: given the saturation of teams in the eastern part of the U.S. (which, coincidentally, at least where the Mississippi is concerned, is actually the smaller "half"), can someone draw up a logical reason as to why the stronger squads in the NHL (and NBA, for that matter) seem to reside in the WEST??? (Hey...the NBA's East ain't called the "Leastern conference" for nothing...and the way the [ping pong] balls bounced during the draft lottery sho' ain't gon' do nothing to help that, either.)

The east may be smaller territorially but has a MUCH larger population per sq. mile. As for better teams residing in the west... it's all cyclical. Ten years ago all the best teams were in the east, with the Bulls winning all those titles.

Love the Logos, not to crazy about there being 2 rounds of divisional playoffs but i guess i could live with that. The thing i love most, is that the Stars would run away with there divison!!

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Archived