Yanks-Indians tonight

nybatt

the Indians will be wearing Larry Doby's #14 tonight, as a team. in addition to a worthy gesture, from a uni-angle here's hoping that:

*the uniforms DO NOT have a name, just the number

*pants are worn at the knee

the Indians will be wearing Larry Doby's #14 tonight, as a team. in addition to a worthy gesture, from a uni-angle here's hoping that:

It would be nice if all teams wore pants somewhere CLOSE to the knee, and removed the player names from their jerseys.

Of course that is a huge stretch, but its my wish for today.

It would be nice if all teams wore pants somewhere CLOSE to the knee, and removed the player names from their jerseys.

Agreed. I LOVE that look. As a Yankees & Cubs fan, I think it looks awesome. I loved when the Cubs removed the names and it killed me that they put them back on.

Rob

I can throw my support behind this one as well. It could be done, if MLB adopted an NFL-like obsession with making a team uniform truly uniform. Just make a rule where pant legs are tailored to a certain length around the knee. Hell, hockey breezers come in one length, and even the NBA has standards for how baggy is too baggy. The NFL has started going the other way where players have exposed knees and some DBs look like they're wearing bike shorts. You'd think that would be the target of a coming crackdown.

As for the player names, they're kinda superfluous. The player can be readily identified by the large number on the back of the jersey, which is more legible from the stands than 3" letters are. (It's always seemed to work for the Yankees.) Failing that, read the scoreboard, pay attention to the PA announcer or buy a program - one of us here would be happy to show you how to keep score while you're at it! :P

Not only would surge's plan class up the game, it could trigger a revival of scorekeeping - double score!

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I can throw my support behind this one as well. It could be done, if MLB adopted an NFL-like obsession with making a team uniform truly uniform. Just make a rule where pant legs are tailored to a certain length around the knee. Hell, hockey breezers come in one length, and even the NBA has standards for how baggy is too baggy. The NFL has started going the other way where players have exposed knees and some DBs look like they're wearing bike shorts. You'd think that would be the target of a coming crackdown.

As for the player names, they're kinda superfluous. The player can be readily identified by the large number on the back of the jersey, which is more legible from the stands than 3" letters are. (It's always seemed to work for the Yankees.) Failing that, read the scoreboard, pay attention to the PA announcer or buy a program - one of us here would be happy to show you how to keep score while you're at it! :P

Not only would surge's plan class up the game, it could trigger a revival of scorekeeping - double score!

You know its funny because we call them the NO FUN LEAGUE but after all of the over obsessive BS with their uniform rules and stipulations they end of looking the most professional of all of the major sports. You would think with the tradition that baseball has they'd try a little harder to keep the traditional baseball look more than any other sport attempts to keep their look intact.

The NFL is so far ahead of all other major sports in all categories that it blows my mind. It reminds me of the military in a sense. The first thing they drill into you is to keep your gear clean, tidy, and perfect. Perfect attire lends to better performance and ability to achieve the collective goal of the unit....or something like that (I didn't pay much attention to be honest). It may be all horse:censored: but I really do see the point of it all now.

Agreed - I would love to see MLB adopt the NFL's attitude towards uniforms.

I think they should both find a happy medium. The NFL gets really carried away while baseball is too loose.

As for the pant-leg length in baseball, I actually don't mind the ankle-length pants. I don't like it when it goes over the shoe, like Barry Bonds. But, as I've said before, baseball needs a return to the stirrups, no matter the length of the pants, because stirrups just look baseball, even if they no longer serve a purpose.

Agreed - I would love to see MLB adopt the NFL's attitude towards uniforms.

I think they should both find a happy medium. The NFL gets really carried away while baseball is too loose.

As for the pant-leg length in baseball, I actually don't mind the ankle-length pants. I don't like it when it goes over the shoe, like Barry Bonds. But, as I've said before, baseball needs a return to the stirrups, no matter the length of the pants, because stirrups just look baseball, even if they no longer serve a purpose.

I don't understand the whole "no fun league" thing and I don't know why people claim the NFL uni rules are some Draconian laws. I remember the media throwing a stink during the late 90's that the Bronco's return man was fined because he didn't show enough white on his socks.

However, either the rules have been removed since then, or they are not enforced. In the last year in particular, "customizing socks" has gotten out of hand. The majority of players wear them incorrectly. The new "in" things are to wear them really high, so only 4 inches or so of the color show, or to wear them really low so only an inch of the white shows (if any at all). Many players are wearing solid color socks, now. This is bull, and it needs to be stopped.

I agree that the MLB needs to adopt "NFL-type" uniform rules, but the NFL needs to enforce the rules they have.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived