The best uniform of all time

gmat

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Without a doubt Michigan football. Simple, clean, classy, and the only team that could ever pull off that helmet style.

um0022.jpg

The only team???

Are you sure?

Man--I could sworn that...

Wait--hold up--wait a minute...

I mean...cuz I coulda--ah wait--that's right:

Chuck307.jpg

This team had that style first!

(That style was brought from Princeton to Michigan back in like 1938 or something like that when the then-coach of the Tigers, whose name I cannot recollect right now, took over the Wolverines. But yes--the Wolverine helmet is easily the most recognized helmet in all of football. I'll give you that.)

The guy that brought them over was Fitz Crisler. He's also the guy that created them back in 1935. After he left Princeton went to different style helmets.

Michigan's wore them from 1938 on. Princeton has only been wearing the helmet since 1998. Deleware's wore them since 1951. So yes, while they were first worn at Princeton, Michigan did not "steal" them like many people think. They've wore them longer than any other school, which is why it's the Michigan winged helmet and not the Princeton wing.

NHL: All due respect to classics like Detroit and Toronto, but my pick is the Christmas Devils. It was unique without being gawdy. And it was not ho-hum like, oh I don't know, black and red.

NBA: Miami Heat, inagural road uniforms.

NFL: Bengals early 1980s until the recent disaster. Followed closely by Bucco Bruce, the current Seattle home and the colts.

MLB: Yankees. The NY/pinstrips are perfect.

College Hockey: Minnesota Yellow Alt

College Football (Helmet): Wisconsin (My one homer pick)

Colelge Football (Jersey): UCLA Home

College Basketball: Minnesota's Yellow, late 1990's

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

oilers_gall2.jpg

Absolutely perfect.

That shade of blue is my favourite color.

The classic stripes around the sleeves.

Traditional font

And most important of all.....

....the numbers are screen-printed. I much prefer printed numbers to the tackle-twill ones we have today.

Archived