Bagwell's #5 Retired

Shumway

Astros retire Jeff Bagwell's No. 5 jersey before game with Pirates

August 26, 2007

HOUSTON (AP) -- The Houston Astros retired Jeff Bagwell's No. 5 jersey before their game with the Pittsburgh Pirates on Sunday.

"This is an amazing day," said Bagwell, who played his entire 15-year career with Houston. "To have your number retired, I really can't believe it."

Bagwell, a first baseman who entered the big leagues in 1991, finished with 449 home runs and a .297 average.

Craig Biggio, Nolan Ryan, Mike Scott, Jimmy Wynn, Brad Ausmus, Larry Dierker and Jose Cruz joined the ceremony, in which Bagwell was presented with three of his jerseys in large frames and a golfing vacation to Scotland.

Bagwell's wife, two daughters and parents were introduced along with the team's top executives.

Owner Drayton McLane told him: "Thanks for being a champion."

Bagwell is the eighth former Astro to have his number retired. The others are Ryan, Scott, Wynn, Dierker, Cruz, Don Wilson and Jim Umbricht.

Nice to see this. I've always been a big fan of Bags'. His batting stance was crazy-ridiculous.

Nice shirt, Jeff.

TdiEs8Uw.jpg

Did they have one of every jersey he wore while with the Astros or just the fantastic navy and gold one behind him in the picture? They should have never switched. (That is the navy and gold, right? Laptop screen not as good as normal computer, sorry.)

Bagwell was a great player. He and Biggio tormented my youth as a Bucs fan.

Yes, this is great to see. I've been an Astros fan as long as I can remember...Bagwell and Biggio have always been my two favorite players. Next year is going to be very strange...watching the Astros w/o Bags or Biggio. Anyway, congrats Jeff!!

Also, I'm glad to see some other people loved their navy and gold look in the mid to late 90s...

AM.gif

Nice shirt, Jeff.

TdiEs8Uw.jpg

Did they have one of every jersey he wore while with the Astros or just the fantastic navy and gold one behind him in the picture? They should have never switched. (That is the navy and gold, right? Laptop screen not as good as normal computer, sorry.)

Bagwell was a great player. He and Biggio tormented my youth as a Bucs fan.

I think they gave Bagwell three jerseys(rainbow/current/blue & gold). You can actually see the sleeve of the rainbow jersey in the pic I posted.

I loved the Navy/Gold look. It actually fit for a team called the Astros. They needed some minor changes, but should not have been shelved.

As far as Bagwell goes, he was my favorite non-Phillies player in his era, so I am happy for him.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

The current Astros look doesn't make sense, because it's a futuristic team name, a modern typeface for names/numbers, and an Old Western wordmark. I think the best color combo for he Astros would be black, with bright red, orange, and yellow.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The current Astros look doesn't make sense, because it's a futuristic team name, a modern typeface for names/numbers, and an Old Western wordmark. I think the best color combo for he Astros would be black, with bright red, orange, and yellow.

bill%20murray.jpeg

Needs Stripes

Archived