Could use some help with Phoenix Firebirds logo

chestnutz

So I like to look around at people's concepts, and decided to take a stab at making my own logo. I've been doing some sketches and decided to digitize it with Inkscape. I'm not very good at it and I think it'd ok for a first try, but would love some advice to make it better.

By the way, I will be adding secondary logos, wordmarks, unis, etc (it's a football team).

It came out a little weird, I don't know why it's dark like this but oh well...

firebirdprimary.png

By the way, this is a very rough draft and just wanted some advice before I take it any further.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbbleΒ 

Three words: Simplify, simplify, simplify.

Boil things down to very simple shapes. Keep the frills ? like the details on the wings ? to a minimum. Use thick, dark lines, and find ways to use solid colours instead of gradients. Pick two or three colours and stick with them.

waay too many unnecessary points and edges. look at similar logos for comparison.

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq Δ± ǝɯıʇ Κ‡sɐן ǝΙ₯Κ‡ sΔ± sΔ±Ι₯Κ‡

I think the logo would be helped greatly by looking more like a bird. If I were you, I'd start over by drawing a hawk or eagle and then modifying the image to make the bird look like it is made of flame. Further, I would take a look at all the great logos that have been produced on this board and note what they have in common; bold lines with simple and complimentary color schemes.

cttdolphins2.png

Aside from the beak and wings, I'm really not getting "bird" from this much at all. It's shaped more like a hand puppet, to be honest. There's really no definition of shape, differentiting between beak, wing, chest, leg etc. Rather than making it primarily maroon, mix in other colors to actually give it depth, kinda like how it's done here:

LaMon_aqh1w249nyyfq2ypi75b.gif

Like gordie(I think) said, simplify even more. I'd probably lose the flames outside of the primary shape and try subtly infusing some flames in as the tail or wings. Same goes for the wordmark, really. It's a bit too stylish, for the lack of a better term. Try big, bold letters, rather than a scripty look.

Not a bad start. The colors are great.

Alright just drew this up, decided to post it for some C&C cause I know a lot of things are missing. Please let me know exactly what I need to do to make it better.

firebirdslogos-1.png

I can't decide what to put in the middle of the bird to get rid of all that red, maybe some sharp edges (feathers) or shadows (which I'm horrible at, as you can tell). Are the places I put the shadows at right now alright?

I think it's a big improvement, and has some potential but just need the finishing touches.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbbleΒ 

i think you could do some feather accents on the bird, but have them shaped like flames. on the head and at the end of the beak.

the head is too straight and kind of looks like a penis. give it some curves. think of the Philly Eagles or somethin. the flamey feathers would be good for the end of the neck as well.

Tip: when you do flames, use simple lines, and not many of them. Also try to limit the amount of excess fire nto attached to the main body of whatever. Check out the Calgary Flames logo.

Archived