My First Attempt At Branding A New Corporate Identity

robbman21

The local Corky's Barbeque resturaunt has recently been purchased by a private investor who is removing it from the "Corky's" franchise and will be renaming it "Hawg Wild", a barbeque resturaunt meant to have an upscale biker/Harley feel. I've been doing some freelance work for the local company assigned with the re-branding and I had this project fall in my lap, the first time I've had the chance to do something original that will be so widely seen. Almost everything I've ever done has been sports-related, so that's why what I'm posting now has a sports logo feel to it. I'll be posting and updating as I go and ANY and ALL feedback is welcome and appreciated and I'll consider any/all tweaks/ideas. I have a couple of different completely unrelated ideas as well a few ideas for typeface/wordmarks, so I'll just post everything here as it comes about and you can all see the process as I go through it. As always...Enjoy!

Hawg2.jpg

98Falcons.png

There's not enough contrast on the Hog head...maybe the gray should be lighter? I'm sure you're already working on it, but the teeth need to be overhauled.

If I only glanced at it, my first impression would be that the pig is laughing for some reason. Good start though!

Thanks for the initial input. I'm working on the teeth almost constantly but could'nt quite put my finger on the solution...but I think I have something now. For colors I've tried going lighter for the head, and I've even tried a couple of shades of brown but I don't think black and brown go together. I'm also focusing on keeping the amount of colors in the logo down when you have to factor in ease of printing. Like I said I have a whole seperate idea I want to try as well, but I'm scared it will come off looking too much like the Buffalo Wild Wings logo. I'll post it when it's done as well.

98Falcons.png

it just isnt the right angle for the job. colour pallettes and such are well researched for food industry advertising.

grey isnt something people like to associate with food. i think you should look at doing something much simpler.

it takes a ton of illustration skill to do a logo this detailed and do it right. What brings this down are the discrepancies in the line weights and the lack of overall contrast in the image. Driving by, that logo is a grey blob on a sign that reads 'Hawg Wild.' Also, if you're doing something in a classic, illustrative style like this, it really spoils the whole look when the illustration looks so computer generated. It looks 'clip-arty' to me. I would do the whole ting in pen on a piece of paper and then scan and trace to preserve the classic, hand-drawn look.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived