Seattle Officially in MLS

realmo

The rumor that it is Emerald City Seattle FC, is gaining momentum.

Still it is just a rumor at this point, although green seems a very likely color, as no MLS team uses green substantially.

I don't mind Emerald City at all. It is an official moniker for Seattle (officially adapted in the 80's), and part of the vernacular for decades before that. Even in the 50's, Seattle was referred to as the "Emerald City".

I like the traditional Seattle Sounders as well, and I wager "Sounders" will find its way to describe the team somehow. Like the team being called Emerald City, but the "unofficial" nickname is Sounders, which of course, is how a lot of soccer clubs operate.

The "Reds" of Toronto FC for example, is a completely fan-derived nickname.

I like the MLS, its turning into a fine league. I dislike Real Salt Lake (why does Utah use Spanish in the name), but I think Toronto FC is classy and simple.

I will say, die-hard soccer fans in Seattle are very angry with this rumor. We saw Houston 1836 get killed pretty fast, so if it is Emerald City, and the die-hard's anger grows stronger, the idea could die before a single t-shirt is printed.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Soccer is an old English school boys' nickname for Association Football which is the official term for the sport the world calls football. It comes from taking the 'soc] out of 'association.'

So why do we call it SOCK-ER instead of SOSH-ER?

Because "assoc" football was/is another nickname for it. And I assume assoc is pronounced "Uh-Soke" or "Ah-Sawk", which can pretty easily degrade into the word Soccer.

On topic here, I kind of like Emerald City FC or Seattle FC, just not both together. That in mind, I like the Sounders name and colors; however, green as a primary works also (the light blue as a clash, if we go this route), and Sounders needs to be just the nickname. Even if management pushes the "official nickname" (contradiction in itself) of "The Greens," fans and the media will make it right.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Even more momentum gaining for the Emerald City Seattle FC moniker.

Apparently both

EmeraldCitySeattle.Com

...and...

EmeraldCitySeattleFC.Com

...were registered by registrants used by the Seattle Seahawks before. They are fairly generic listings, so this could be "camping" from someone, who heard the rumor and acted.

Also, another "rumor" site posted this crest, claiming someone had mailed it in, claiming it was being used to develop the eventual launch of the web site:

http://bp1.blogger.com/_plt_LafzKm0/R4exqE...1600-h/ecfc.png

Original post was here:

http://mlsrumors.blogspot.com/2008/01/expa...crest-leak.html

...it looks like the logo is just a place holder, before a real crest is refined, but the rumor definitely has legs. Of course, this could be "leaked" just to judge reaction to it, or just pure internet-bunkery.

Even more momentum gaining for the Emerald City Seattle FC moniker.

Apparently both

EmeraldCitySeattle.Com

...and...

EmeraldCitySeattleFC.Com

...were registered by registrants used by the Seattle Seahawks before. They are fairly generic listings, so this could be "camping" from someone, who heard the rumor and acted.

Also, another "rumor" site posted this crest, claiming someone had mailed it in, claiming it was being used to develop the eventual launch of the web site:

http://bp1.blogger.com/_plt_LafzKm0/R4exqE...1600-h/ecfc.png

Original post was here:

http://mlsrumors.blogspot.com/2008/01/expa...crest-leak.html

...it looks like the logo is just a place holder, before a real crest is refined, but the rumor definitely has legs. Of course, this could be "leaked" just to judge reaction to it, or just pure internet-bunkery.

Looking at the current MLS logos I really doubt that an expansion club would be going with such an intricate logo. Look at all the other league logos and you'll notice how simple and vector happy they are, except for the Chivas logo but that is a classic. My thought is that someone who is not used to seeing concept logos (unlike all of us on this site) was either wowed by the linked logo and started forwarding it or someone created it and decided to take advantage of people who are not used to seeing concepts. I'm sure that some of the most talented people on here can easily fool lots of people with their concepts.

If that really is the logo than I have to say that that green sucks. Use Boston Celtics green!

14ilxq9.png

Emerald City Seattle or Emerald City Seattle FC? That logo? Heinous... absolutely, positively HEINOUS.

Talk about a convoluted, decidedly-mannered, faux-traditional moniker and cluttered, overdone, faux-traditional logo. They scream, "Hey! We're trying way too hard to create a sense of history and tradition around our soccer franchise... in spite of the fact that Seattle is already home to a soccer brand that has enjoyed 24 seasons of true history and tradition over 34 years and several leagues!"

Simply adopting Seattle Sounders or Seattle Sounders FC as the new franchise's name and then putting an all-out, major-league calibre marketing and promotional effort behind the team would be the optimal course of action. In that way, the team will enjoy the marketing boost it is going to get anyway, while simultaneously preserving the history, tradition and passion associated with the Seattle Sounders.

Instead, film industry mogul Joe Roth will opt to unveil exactly the sort of newly-created, "cut-from-whole-cloth", "flavor-of-the-month" creation that Hollywood increasingly embraces at the expense of tried-and-true talent. Meanwhile, Adrian Hanauer will blather on about how the Sounders brand needed to be replaced because it was no longer relevant. This in spite of the fact that Hanauer himself played the most significant role in undermining the brand by failing to properly market it over the last five years.

Serenity now!!!

Emerald City FC isn't bad. Emerald City Seattle FC is just awkwardly long. But they really ought to just keep Seattle Sounders. I know that they're afraid of anything that harkens back to the NASL, but unlike most everything else from the NASL, the Seattle Sounders have lived on and thrived well after the demise of that league and created a great brand. I feel like that's really a slap in the face to Sounders fans and players from the past--everyone who's worked to make Seattle a soccer hotbed completely from the ground up since NASL went belly up.

Come on Seattle MLS. Keep the Sounders name, and your expansion team will immediately have a richer pedigree than every MLS team that's been around since '96.

That said, the Sounders logo could certainly use an update.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived