NY Rangers going against the grain

BBM

As far as I know the Rangers have the only web site that isn't a template. They also have straight hems on their jerseys (as opposed to the rounded shirt hems on other jerseys). As far as I know they're the only team that's done this too. Personally I think both these things are improvements, but is the NHL just letting them do this because they're the Rangers, or are they going to make them switch back into conformity eventually?

The suit is still ongoing, I think, although a judge refused to block the NHL's takeover of the Rangers' site while litigation proceeds.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=222004&hubname=nhl

For a while there were two websites claiming to be "The official site of the New York Rangers" - the team's, and the league's.

As far as I know the Rangers have the only web site that isn't a template. They also have straight hems on their jerseys (as opposed to the rounded shirt hems on other jerseys). As far as I know they're the only team that's done this too. Personally I think both these things are improvements, but is the NHL just letting them do this because they're the Rangers, or are they going to make them switch back into conformity eventually?

can't blame them really the rounded hems are the ugliest alteration ever to a jersey. If they straitened them out it would improve alot of the jerseys. THere again there wasn't much wrong with the jerseys anyway, just a filthy corporate cash grab. :evil:

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I actually like the uniformed websites, I don't know why the rangers don't have to conform.

The idea of them makes sense in a way, but the NHL's implementation has been horrible. Nothing at all exciting about them.

I'd rather have the deal the NBA has, a series of templates from team's to choose from, marketing done by the team as opposed to approved by the league and league mandates.

I actually like the uniformed websites, I don't know why the rangers don't have to conform.

The idea of them makes sense in a way, but the NHL's implementation has been horrible. Nothing at all exciting about them.

I'd rather have the deal the NBA has, a series of templates from team's to choose from, marketing done by the team as opposed to approved by the league and league mandates.

As a whole, I don't want exciting web pages, I want web pages where I can get to the content I want quickly and easily, which the NHL has done. Websites aren't about who's the prettiest or the coolest, it's about getting the content across and if the user can't find the information they are looking for or are sitting through a stupid 5 minute flash presentation every time you visit the site, then as a designer of a website you failed and should be fired.

As a whole, I don't want exciting web pages, I want web pages where I can get to the content I want quickly and easily, which the NHL has done.

Exactly why I like them. Even though some of the pages on the drop down menus are different, the sites are overall the same for quick findings.

bufg.png

IIRC, somebody noticed in one of the game photos that the rounded shirttail was just folded up, cresting a flat hem, and sewn in place.

Teams (and players themselves) make little alterations to the jerseys all the time.

Going slightly off topic, I think the Blackhawks need to do the same thing with their red jerseys - they also have that nasty looking over-long white bottom stripe because of the rounded shirttail.

As a whole, I don't want exciting web pages, I want web pages where I can get to the content I want quickly and easily, which the NHL has done. Websites aren't about who's the prettiest or the coolest, it's about getting the content across and if the user can't find the information they are looking for or are sitting through a stupid 5 minute flash presentation every time you visit the site, then as a designer of a website you failed and should be fired.

Actually, that is the difference between the printed media guide and an ever-growing, multimedia website. I'll gladly take the LA Kings' old site over the templated site because, even at its slowest, it felt like a vibrant part of the Kings organization. Now, it's as if I'm looking at the printed media guide of any NHL team is clip art(logos) that are interchangeable with any other team in the league(sans the Rangers).

rangers jersey tail

from this pic it looks like someone just sewed the tail back under the jersey ...

can anyone confirm that this is what the team did for all their players?

it seems likely as the agreement with reebok seems to be a stubborn one and I doubt they would have eliminated the tails for just one team.

Thats exactly what they did.

Twitter: @peteeee

E-Mail: peteschwadel@gmail.com

Dribbble!

Archived