World Cup 2010

DarkJourney

Blatter: FIFA exploring alternate-site strategies for 2010 World Cup

LONDON (AP) -- FIFA president Sepp Blatter has spoken to three countries about hosting the 2010 World Cup if a natural catastrophe forces it away from South Africa.

It forms the Plan B drawn up by FIFA with less than two years until football's showpiece tournament heads to Africa for the first time.

Concerns are mounting about South Africa fulfilling its hosting obligations after Tuesday's announcement that the Port Elizabeth stadium is unlikely to be completed in time for next June's Confederations Cup tuneup event.

The World Cup preparations have been plagued by stadium construction delays, security fears, transport problems and the possibility of power outages.

"I have spoken to three possible, not only possible, but three associations and countries that would be able to stage the World Cup in one year's time," Blatter said in an interview broadcast on Thursday by Sky News. "They need one year (to prepare)."

Blatter would not name the countries when asked if 1966 host England was one of his options.

My guess two of they three possible emergency sites are England and the US. It seems those two countries could hold it on very short notice as stadium construction would not be needed.

Sites for a US World Cup (either 2018 or 2010 emergency) would probably be:

1. Giants Stadium (new if it is opened by then), East Rutherford, NJ- Capacity 82,000

2. Rose Bowl, Pasadena, CA- 91,136

3. FedEx Field, Landover, MD- 91,704

4. Gillette Stadium Foxboro, MA- 68,756

5. Soldier Field Chicago, IL- 61,500

6. New Cowboys Stadium, Arlington, TX- 80,000

7. Qwest Field, Seattle, WA- 67,000

8. Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, FL- 65,857 (bigger with Super Bowl type expansion)

9. Investco Field, Denver, CO- 76,125

I took in consideration media market size as well as geographic location as the organizers will probably want at least one site from each region of the US. Also with the exception of the Rose Bowl all these stadiums will have been built after 1994.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spain is also a possible plan for 2010 as they are a backup for Euro 2012, as they have 5 UEFA 5-star stadiums and can easily have 5 more that are capable.

Camp Nou

Estadi Olímpic Lluís Companys

Estadio Olímpico de Sevilla

Santiago Bernabéu Stadium

Vicente Calderón Stadium

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

The weakside with any England bid is that a host city cannot have multiple venues.

So cities like London cannot utilize both Wembley and The Emirates. And Manchester cannot utilize both Old Trafford and City of Manchester Stadium.

The weakside with any England bid is that a host city cannot have multiple venues.

So cities like London cannot utilize both Wembley and The Emirates. And Manchester cannot utilize both Old Trafford and City of Manchester Stadium.

England would certainly work, though, I'd see it as follows.

Birmingham - Villa Park

Derby - Pride Park Stadium

Leeds - Elland Road

Leicester - Walkers Stadium

Liverpool - Anfield

London - Wembley Stadium

Manchester - Old Trafford

Middlesbrough - Riverside Stadium

Newcastle - St. James' Park

Sheffield - Hillsborough

Southampton - St. Mary's Stadium

Sunderland - Stadium of Light

Smallest is 32,500.

Spain's bid might look to be as follows:

Barcelona - Camp Nou

Betis - Estadio Manuel Ruiz de Lopera

Bilbao - Estadio San Mames

Elche - Estadio Manuel Martinez Valero

La Coruña - Estadio Riazor

Las Palmas - Estadio Gran Canaria

Madrid - Estadio Santiago Bernabeu

Malaga - La Rosaleda

Murcia - Estadio Nueva Condomina

Sevilla - Estadio de la Cartuja

Valencia - Estadio Mestalla

Zaragoza - La Romareda

Smallest of the 12 is 32,520.

LvZYtbZ.png

As far as the host nations are concerned, I think that the US was contacted, and either one of Spain or England was, but unless FIFA may want to keep it in the Southern Hemisphere, I am starting to think that Australia/New Zealand might have received a call too. The tournament is scheduled for June/July still, so it will be open season for US bid cities. Basically every NFL city will try to get it as most new stadiums have the width for a FIFA pitch and laying grass over FieldTurf is not and issue. They can be very creative with venues and game times as European/African teams can play in the East/Central and South American teams don't matter as most are in our time zone(s). This is getting interesting since Sepp is showing he is not a very good leader. When is his term up?

Actually, I think they allow one city to use two venues, but only one city.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

As far as the host nations are concerned, I think that the US was contacted, and either one of Spain or England was, but unless FIFA may want to keep it in the Southern Hemisphere, I am starting to think that Australia/New Zealand might have received a call too. The tournament is scheduled for June/July still, so it will be open season for US bid cities. Basically every NFL city will try to get it as most new stadiums have the width for a FIFA pitch and laying grass over FieldTurf is not and issue. They can be very creative with venues and game times as European/African teams can play in the East/Central and South American teams don't matter as most are in our time zone(s). This is getting interesting?

Here's the thing the US Wants to make a bid for 2018 or 2022 and if they do take over for South Africa that pretty much takes them out of the picture.. but I'm pretty confident that South Africa will host it and do a great job at it

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Sites for a US World Cup (either 2018 or 2010 emergency) would probably be:

1. Giants Stadium (new if it is opened by then), East Rutherford, NJ- Capacity 82,000

2. Rose Bowl, Pasadena, CA- 91,136

3. FedEx Field, Landover, MD- 91,704

4. Gillette Stadium Foxboro, MA- 68,756

5. Soldier Field Chicago, IL- 61,500

6. New Cowboys Stadium, Arlington, TX- 80,000

7. Qwest Field, Seattle, WA- 67,000

8. Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, FL- 65,857 (bigger with Super Bowl type expansion)

9. Investco Field, Denver, CO- 76,125

Aren't there usually 12 venues for a World Cup? IIRC that's how many Germany had. The other three for the U.S. could be:

10. University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, AZ - 73,719 (expanded capacity)

11. Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, IN - 70,000 (expanded capacity)

12. Reliant Stadium, Houston, TX - 71,500

CCSLC signature.png

From what has been said at the bigsoccer philly forum the Linc is not compliant for field dimension this is because the seating area just beyond the end zone on the sides are angled, so without a redesign I would think that the Linc is out. So for the US hosting I would see the following 12 sites

Groups A & B

Gillette

New Meadowlands

FedEx Field

Groups C & D

Raymond James or Dolphins Stadium

Reliant Stadium

Cleveland Browns Stadium

Groups E & F

Soldier Field

Ford Field

Invesco Field

Groups G & H

Rose Bowl

Qwest Field

U of Phoenix Stadium

The US is most likely in line for the 2022 Cup, which would probably go to Australia if we host 2010, 2014 is Brazil and 2018 is almost guaranteed to be Englands so for emergency hosting for 2010 I could see the following in order:

1) The US

2) Spain

3) France

I do not list England because London will be busy preparing for the 2012 summer games. As for the other 2, Spain is very close to being ready as it stands, Madrid lost the 2012 Olympics to London so I am sure they would step into the 2010 role willingly, especially now as the reigning European champion. France having just hosted in 1998 should already be ready to do this, Paris also lost the 2010 games to London so this could be a nice replacement.

I left off Germany because they literally just hosted, and although the stadiums are definately ready I do not think FIFA would do this. Italy was not listed because their stadia are generally the same as those from Italy 90. Japan and Australia may also be options.

Archived