Bowl Season 07-08

rock55choc

After taking a quick glance at the bowl lineup here a just a few of the matchups that I think could be upsets or have interesting storylines.

New Orleans- Memphis has lost to 2 Sun Belt teams already (Mid Tenn State and Arkansas State) and the Owls will be fired up to play in their first ever bowl game and have a legend (Howard Schnellenberger) as their coach.

Papa Johns- Southern Miss will be ready to play their hearts out in Jeff Bower's last game at the helm of the Golden Eagles. Also, Cincy may still be somewhat letdown that they had to settle for this bowl game after hopes seemed much higher this season.

International Bowl- If the Knights arent ready, QB Nate Davis could give RU all they want to handle in this matchup. I'm not sure the Cardinals can stop Ray Rice, but depending on how much of a roll Davis get on, it could turn into a shootout.

Motor City Bowl- the Boilermakers can't be too excited for having a rematch set up vs. a team that they already picked apart by 23 in the early slate of the season. Their hearts just might not be in it.

Emerald Bowl- the Terps have been the epitome of a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde football team this year. Just like their record, there's a 50-50 chance that they'll sink or swim.

Cotton Bowl - will the Tigers be focused and ready to play or still be feeling the sting of being overlooked by the Orange Bowl? If the Tigers' heads aren't in it, DMAC and Co. could run silly on them.

Capital One Bowl - Hart and Henne will now try to salvage some accomplishment this season since they fell far shart of their goal of winning a national title and beating the Buckeyes. They'll be trying their damnedest to win Carr's last game.

Just a few observations. Feel free to add on your own or criticize my thoughts.

Have a wonderful bowl season. I know I will.

LibertyBowl.png

Hawai'i may take the Bulldogs in the Sugar Bowl. The Warriors have everything to gain and nothing to lose, while Georgia may still be whining over the BCS rankings at kickoff.

Personally I think Georgia has no gripe re the BCS. While they're right that it only makes sense that if the top two teams lose, that #3 moves to #1 and #4 moves to #2, Georgia never should have been ranked #4 to begin with. They're not that good.

Either the Warriors will win or Georgia will mop the Superdome with 'em. I think Hawai'i wins.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Gator Bowl-It should be a good matchup between Texas Tech and the Virginia Cavaliers. The top offense in the nation goes up against a strong defense led by Chris Long (son of Howie). It'll be tough, but defense wins ball games. UVa wins it.

Not that I'm biased or anything.

nicolevaidisova.jpgbarack-obama-043007.jpg

The reason I am on this earth-Nicole Vaidisova

Barack and Roll!!

Hawai'i may take the Bulldogs in the Sugar Bowl. The Warriors have everything to gain and nothing to lose, while Georgia may still be whining over the BCS rankings at kickoff.

Personally I think Georgia has no gripe re the BCS. While they're right that it only makes sense that if the top two teams lose, that #3 moves to #1 and #4 moves to #2, Georgia never should have been ranked #4 to begin with. They're not that good.

Either the Warriors will win or Georgia will mop the Superdome with 'em. I think Hawai'i wins.

Georgia, by the way, has little to nothing to whine about. They went 10-2 overall, 6-2 in conference, and didn't win their division, much less the Conference. In my honest opinion, they are lucky to be ranked as high as they are in the BCS. (This, of course, is after the common sense factor is added into the ranking system.)

Hawai'i, on the other hand, won the WAC outright and is currently the ONLY REMAINING UNDEFEATED TEAM IN THE NATION. Quite frankly, the Warriors have much more to whine about. Thank goodness they aren't, though. That'd just become annoying when compounded with the griping coming out of Athens.

Either way, Hawai'i should pull what the Boise St. Broncos did last year and "upset" the favoured team. (Oh, and I called that Boise game last year the moment I heard they were playing the Sooners.)

How about this one? Ohio State beats LSU. This is shaping up an awful lot like 2002. No one thought Ohio State would give Miami a game and we saw what happened. This Buckeye team is very similar to the 2002 team. Very good defense, unremarkable offense. I know I am being a big time homer but I like the Buckeyes chances in this. No one is expecting a thing and they have nothing to lose. Stranger things have happened (like the title game match up for instance.)

Bowl season is the best part of the holidays.

BB52Big.jpg

Hawaii can fling it around like no one's business, but they haven't played a team that runs the ball really well and can use ball control like Georgia. Also, Hawaii hasn't played a defense that plays fast like Georgia has. This same Georgia defense held high-scoring Kentucky to 13 points.

Hawaii will hang around by halftime, but Georgia's speed and depth will start to kick in the fourth quarter.

Is the WAC that good or that bad? I guess you have to take Hawaii based on what Boise State did last year, but Georgia will be ready. Hawaii's offense is amazing....better than Timmy Chang???

Wheres SJSU???? How can you lose 42-3 to ASU and not get a bowl appearence?

Is the WAC that good or that bad? I guess you have to take Hawaii based on what Boise State did last year, but Georgia will be ready. Hawaii's offense is amazing....better than Timmy Chang???

Wheres SJSU???? How can you lose 42-3 to ASU and not get a bowl appearence?

The Spartans went 5-7 you pansy, thereby rendering them ineligible for a bowl.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Hawaii can fling it around like no one's business, but they haven't played a team that runs the ball really well and can use ball control like Georgia. Also, Hawaii hasn't played a defense that plays fast like Georgia has. This same Georgia defense held high-scoring Kentucky to 13 points.

Hawaii will hang around by halftime, but Georgia's speed and depth will start to kick in the fourth quarter.

Georgia by a bunch. Colt Brennan will get very familiar with the Superdome's roof.

BB52Big.jpg

Any love for my Illini against USC?

I believe we can and will win, and I can certainly say that the spread is ridiculous. This Illini team does not get blown out. And if they play well, USC will face everything they can handle and maybe more.

I've already placed a heavy bet against your team. A spread of less that 2 TDs??? Come on, they've got no chance.

jongarlanduj6.jpg

Arkansas over Missouri

LSU over THE Ohio State

Kansas over Virginia Tech

Kentucky over Florida

The third one is what I'd like to see! I think all of those have a good chance of happening except Arkansas over Mizzou. The Tigers will be ready to play after that loss in the Big XII championship I just don't think the Razorbacks can keep up with Chase Daniel and the high powered Missouri offense.

And just a note, but Kentucky is playing Florida State, not Florida.

nicolevaidisova.jpgbarack-obama-043007.jpg

The reason I am on this earth-Nicole Vaidisova

Barack and Roll!!

Arkansas over Missouri

LSU over THE Ohio State

Kansas over Virginia Tech

Kentucky over Florida

First off, it's THE Ohio State University. Second, why are Florida and Kentucky playing again? Third, wouldn't an LSU win mean that the favorite won the game? How would that be an upset?

Just wondering.

BB52Big.jpg

Either way, Hawai'i should pull what the Boise St. Broncos did last year and "upset" the favoured team. (Oh, and I called that Boise game last year the moment I heard they were playing the Sooners.)

Good thing Boise State was able to pull off a couple of desperation sandlot plays... :rolleyes:

Yeah, they won...and deserved to. If OU can't stop a 4th and 20, they don't deserve to win. I'll never figure out why any team would leave one side of the field undefended...on TWO CRITICAL PLAYS! :cursing:

Some say I'm still bitter. B)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived