Premier League to NHL: Man United

heernumurr

months ago i posted my first concept, a liverpool fc hockey idea, which i thought was good for a first concept because ive been drawing liverpool shirts since i was about seven years old.

Liverpool FC Hockey

well i finally got internet access again so i decided for my second concept i'd make liverpools new hockey team someone to play against. so who better than their biggest rivals (sorry, everton fans) MANCHESTER UNITED!

we all know about man united, biggest team in the world etc. but as far as club identity goes, not much has changed over the years. their nickname is the red devils, but apparently thats only after they stole it because it sounded good. in logo terms, this translates to a quite vague devil on the club crest and the vomit inducing Fred the Red.

so i decided to try and go down the devil route, making more of the imagery and what is a great nickname (by football standards anyway). the thing is, no sooner have i clicked freeform pen tool, i happen to catch a certain annoyingly awesome new jersey rebranding by GhettoFarmBoy. so i looked at that, cried a little inside, then went for something a bit simpler and cartoony. i think it worked out ok, as this would possibly be more in keeping with uniteds worldwide-all-of-the-family fanbase. i did however keep the trident as a secondary, as this seems to be at least as important as the devil itself.

manulogosheet2.gif

for the jerseys, i decided to keep it simple, but i also wanted to try out a branding idea with adidas. i love adidas, think theyve got a great hit rate with their designs, and unlike lots of people, think theyve earned the right to stick those three stripes on everything! so ive tried to imagine my british league has a deal like the nhl/rbk one, and had a go at what i think they might do.

as i say, i tried to keep the designs simple and uncluttered, and before anyone says; the trident just didnt work as a shoulder logo. as for the alternate, i like to use it as a place to try something a bit different (see liverpool concept) and i think ive come up with... well, a conversation piece at least.

manuuniformsheet.gif

ive just realised i did a lot of talking there, so i shake your hand for getting this far. please give lots of C&C, this is only my second proper concept, so im sure ive still got a lot to learn!

EDIT: New tertiary logo, hopefully easier to tell its a trident.

I'm not sure about that primary, but I love the secondary, very cool. As for the uniforms, I'm not feeling the first two, but that alternate is awesome, although it looks more like something a paintball team would wear. Overall though it's a cool idea, just work on that primary.

That's actually a really nice idea. The main Devil looks good, something a hockey team would definately use. That black alternate is pretty cool with that logo. But what exactly is that logo? It's very cool, but I just don't know what it is. Maybe you could make the negative space into an "M" or something?

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

That black alternate is pretty cool with that logo. But what exactly is that logo? It's very cool, but I just don't know what it is. Maybe you could make the negative space into an "M" or something?

its the head of a trident. i know where youre coming from about not getting what it is. i tried all sorts of tridents, but in the end i decided to sacrifice a bit of legablity for what i think is a cleaner, more distinctive design.

Alright, being a big Man U fan I surprisingly like this. One thing I would do is use their actual red devil as the third logo. Also I would try turning the trident upside down making it into an M (clever, yes). Another thing is you should try a blue alternate and try using some yellow or gold in the colour scheme. I also agree with Sqoalie, why adidas?

P.S. I love Fred the Red

AtlantaThrashers.pngManchesterUnited_10Sig.png

I get that. I'm not a moron.

What I am saying is that you can't really call this a crossover because it doesn't include any of the elements that are considered synonymous with Man U (their crest,, their shirt sponsor, Nike, etc.).

It works great as a concept, but this could just as easily be a New Jersey Devils concept or (if you switched the color to blue) a Duke hockey concept.

Why adidas?

like i said in the original post, i just love adidas and thought it would be interesting to try and translate to hockey their identy also. i know man u are all about the nike, but i felt i could do more with adidas.

It works great as a concept, but this could just as easily be a New Jersey Devils concept or (if you switched the color to blue) a Duke hockey concept.

i dont think that uniteds imagery works as a hockey concept, and while its about as iconic as you can get, it definately says football and not nhl. plus while i think the devil on the badge is classy, its too low res and vague to translate to a full scale logo on a hockey shirt.

i mean at the end of the day, while it would probably look cool, i dont think people would be that interested seeing existing man utd logos plastered onto a hockey uniform, and i definately wouldnt be interested in making it. the fun for me is creating the identity from the ground up!

They're solid concepts, but I agree with Jezus that they really don't say Man Utd. to me at all. I think their crest would look sweet on a hockey sweater, you could replace the little footballs with pucks and you'd be set. I just think like he said, it needs at least one element from their real shirts.

They're solid concepts, but I agree with Jezus that they really don't say Man Utd. to me at all. I think their crest would look sweet on a hockey sweater, you could replace the little footballs with pucks and you'd be set. I just think like he said, it needs at least one element from their real shirts.

i agree that the jersey would look cool, but like i said before, as cool as it is, the crest just doesnt say "hockey team". i really dont think you can be as simple as changing the footballs. i can see how people would disagree, but to me its just lazy and it defeats the purpose of the whole concept.

i do agree that i should maybe have used more man united imagery, and that the concept doesnt really scream man united, but at the end of the day this isnt manchester united fc, its the manchester red devils hockey franchise.

Archived