Designing the World League of American Football

BB61

Surge to represent the computer industry? All the way up in Sacramento? That's a biiig stretch.

This is a great find, though, thanks for posting!

It?s definitely not the first sports nickname to reach like that. We have the Milwaukee Bucks despite people in Milwaukee being more-less apathetic to deer hunting (most if not all deer hunters who live here grew up ?up nort??). My guess is that the Surge wanted to have the same appeal to all of Northern California that the Bucks originally sought to have with all of Wisconsin.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bell-thunder.jpg

That guy is Kewmin Bell right??? I do remmy him as he was QB here in Winnipeg back in the late 1990s... huhhhh....

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

But the story surrounding some teams are:

Barcelona: When the league reformed in 1995 Barcelona insisted on four red and gold stripes. The reason? San Geordi (St. George) slew the dragon with his four fingers and the four red streaks symbolized blood of the dragon.

Frankfurt: Originally slated to be in Memphis and owned by Fred Smith of FedEx. Moved to Frankfurt (their Euro hub) when Smith complained it may hurt his chances for an expansion franchise. The Galaxy colors: Purple, orange and red, the same as FedEx's.

The Ohio Glory was named by Tilman Engel who would later become GM of the Galaxy. He was a Suma Cum Laude in history at Iowa State. He also had a hand in naming the Cologne Centurions and Hamburg Sea Devils.

The Knights' name was picked by ownership.

If you realize, many of the color combos the league used have hardly if ever been used together - red and medium green (Raliegh Durham), Royal/Scarlet (Ohio), Maroon, silver, blue, orange (Montreal), Brown. gold, orange (San Antonio), Purple, orange (Frankfurt). The league was ahead of its time, for sure.

Barcelona: When the league reformed in 1995 Barcelona insisted on four red and gold stripes. The reason? San Geordi (St. George) slew the dragon with his four fingers and the four red streaks symbolized blood of the dragon.

Frankfurt: Originally slated to be in Memphis and owned by Fred Smith of FedEx. Moved to Frankfurt (their Euro hub) when Smith complained it may hurt his chances for an expansion franchise. The Galaxy colors: Purple, orange and red, the same as FedEx's.

The Ohio Glory was named by Tilman Engel who would later become GM of the Galaxy. He was a Suma Cum Laude in history at Iowa State. He also had a hand in naming the Cologne Centurions and Hamburg Sea Devils.

The Knights' name was picked by ownership.

If you realize, many of the color combos the league used have hardly if ever been used together - red and medium green (Raliegh Durham), Royal/Scarlet (Ohio), Maroon, silver, blue, orange (Montreal), Brown. gold, orange (San Antonio), Purple, orange (Frankfurt). The league was ahead of its time, for sure.

The stripes for the Dragons did not come about until later on - 1998 or '99, I think. In 1995, their uniform was one of sublimated wackiness, just like the 5 other teams at the time. Furthermore, the stripes - 5 gold and 4 red - were placed on the sleeve cuffs, and later on the collar, to mimic the Catalan flag, as Barcelona is in the distinct Catalonia region of Spain.

BTW, the link is a pretty interesting read. Goes to show you just how much stripes can mean.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So was the Memphis franchise to be named Galaxy or did they pick up that name later on especially for Frankfurt?

Okay I'm aware that Galaxy GM Engel was responsible for the launch of the last two NFLE franchises in Cologne and Hamburg. But could you tell me why back in the fall of '91 the ticket manager of a team located in Frankfurt, Germany had any influence in naming the leagues newest franchise in Columbus, Ohio?

Archived