An NFL Redesign Extravaganza

andrewharrington

I've updated the Dolphins' set after spending some time away from it, adding a set of aqua pants and reverting to the 'classic' style of striping. It was bothering me, as well, that three of the concepts were using the same style of pant stripe. I eliminated the helmet stripes because since the logo is so detailed already, adding a handful of stripes to the top of the helmet has always looked like a mess to me. I like the simpler look of the stripeless helmet in this case. Oh, and I left navy in the logo because you can't really take it out, and the new logo is so much better than the old one that I just couldn't go back to it. The colors are all eyedropped straight from Pantone's database images, including the Pats' dark silver, and they appear pretty accurate when compared with those images. I know it's not the actual silver textile color they use, but personally, I love the dark silver. I can't stand it when teams use a silver that's so light it looks like dark white. I like the contrast a dark silver provides. The chevrons, well, I used Navy insignia to do these, and the chevrons point down, but Air force insignia would probably be more appropriate for the Jets, and a few of the Air Force insignia have upward pointing chevrons, so I'll go ahead and change that.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The colors are all eyedropped straight from Pantone's database images, including the Pats' dark silver, and they appear pretty accurate when compared with those images. I know it's not the actual silver textile color they use, but personally, I love the dark silver.

I get that you like the dark silver and that you eyedropped it straight from what Pantone posted. However, Pantone has the swatch that matches the metallic ink and is not applicable for the web. Use of a 20% black better represents how it should look in use. I still think it is too dark, especially in the mix with the other colors used.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

All of these except the Dolphins are excellent or great but need a little tweak. I'm glad that you gave the Pats silver pants w/ the away unis but although good, the uniforms look a little bland. I you should add a thin white inner stroke between the red and blue on the pants and inner silver outline on the home numbers and inner white/silver on the aways.

The Bills throwbackish unis are cool (better than the garbage they have now) but the Jets unis are, WOW, great! It has a soldier/military look to it and although simple, it a great look. Maybe put stripes on the helmet (like the Ravens) and two similar stripes on the pants.

The dolphins....em....well... I'm not a fan of a bland old fashioned uniforms and the agua and orange.. together, are boring. If the uniforms were modern maybe it would work but for simple design for this maybe a little navy blue not the current overkill of navy they have now.

Overall, Great Re-Designs. Can't wait to see the others divisions.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

The colors are all eyedropped straight from Pantone's database images, including the Pats' dark silver, and they appear pretty accurate when compared with those images. I know it's not the actual silver textile color they use, but personally, I love the dark silver.

I get that you like the dark silver and that you eyedropped it straight from what Pantone posted. However, Pantone has the swatch that matches the metallic ink and is not applicable for the web. Use of a 20% black better represents how it should look in use. I still think it is too dark, especially in the mix with the other colors used.

I disagree. It is applicable for the web because it's an RGB swatch no matter how you swing it. You can't put a CMYK swatch or a PANTONE swatch on the web because a monitor only displays colors in RGB. When you see a swatch on the web, it is displayed using the RGB values that most closely approximate the CMYK color or PANTONE color. In this case, I've eyedropped an RGB swatch that closely approximates the PANTONE metallic ink used by the Pats as their silver color. For the uniforms, the Pats use a PANTONE textile color, which is lighter than the metallic ink used for reproducing the logo in print. Plain and simple, I like the darker color they use for printing better than the lighter color they use on the uniforms. That's why I've used it throughout.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I disagree. It is applicable for the web because it's an RGB swatch no matter how you swing it. You can't put a CMYK swatch or a PANTONE swatch on the web because a monitor only displays colors in RGB. When you see a swatch on the web, it is displayed using the RGB values that most closely approximate the CMYK color or PANTONE color. In this case, I've eyedropped an RGB swatch that closely approximates the PANTONE metallic ink used by the Pats as their silver color. For the uniforms, the Pats use a PANTONE textile color, which is lighter than the metallic ink used for reproducing the logo in print. Plain and simple, I like the darker color they use for printing better than the lighter color they use on the uniforms. That's why I've used it throughout.

My only point was the swatch shade available from the SSUR is for a specific ink usage, and useless for representing the color shade for the media used. If you're not interested in matching closer to what the Pats want to project, that's cool. I was pointing out that you may be misled. As long as you're happy with it.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I think what I like about the Jets concept the most are the minimalist stripes. They're a look that isn't seen as much any more, but works great with the dark green. I like the helmet--I agree with the downward flight issue, but I don't know how to address it without losing the overall effect.

really great work I think all your concepts here are winners. I really like what you have done with the Bills, nice update on the logo and the jerseys look great.

Also props on the Jets concept it is really orginal and I like the idea a lot even though I still prefer the current look

I know I'm late as hell with this, but Imma gon' and throw my .02 into your concept penny jar, here.

Firstly, let's start with espn's favorite team.

the subtle changes (or should I say, subtractions) you made with the Patriots concept actually makes it much sharper. THANK YOU by the way for going with the silver pants for the road set (and speaking of that...count me in as a fan of the darker silver). Something about the white socks the Pats currently use really bugs me...probably because they don't really fit with the rest of the package. Props for X-ing that out of this concept. I don't think a set of navy pants would hurt this at all...but as is, squarely solid.

As far as Buffalo's Bills...nothing I haven't seen before, but since there are so many people who catch seriously calcified boners over the Bills current 3rd/alt set (I myself am not one of those people), your Bills concept surely appeased them. Kinda do wonder, though, how that concept would look with the Bills' old-school Champion block numerals. Try that and see how it would look...it'd be a real good way of blending the past era with the...uh...the paster era.

To the J-E-T-S...this one halfway wanna make me say "I hate you"...but that's only because it is so damn good...probably the tops amongst Jets concepts concocted on these boards (mine included). I remember when I was working on my Jets concept, I must have went through like two pencils and half a sketchpad trying to come up with a helmet design more representative of a team named after aircraft. While I ain't yet ready to say you "nailed it", you done came REAL close. And the change to a darker green is a bold step--as well as one that will pop up in the flood of Jets concepts that is sure to follow...some already have. (Just remember...imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, 'Drew. ^_^ ) As far as the chevrons in the pants stripe...try adding two more, to equalize the striping treatment. (That, by the way, is a neat little quirk.) Lovin' it, dude...LOVIN' IT.

As for the Mammals...eh...not really much to comment on. I suppose the elimination of the navy trim does help this look revert back to the more classic look of the 'Fins...but somehow I also think the Machine block numbers they currently use would look a little bit better than the regular standard block numbers used here (and lend a tadbit of uniqueness to this concept).

I'll be eagerly awaiting your future work, Drew...and if I never let you know this before, your work is definitely some of my favorite amongst the concept posts. Maybe it's because you somehow know how to make simplicity work and look so damn good (something I'm STILL trying to work on, believe it or not). Keep it up, homeboy!

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

And the change to a darker green is a bold step--as well as one that will pop up in the flood of Jets concepts that is sure to follow...some already have.

Actually, I first eyedropped the green from PANTONE's database like I did for the rest of the teams, but then lightened it, not darkened it. Fooled ya. It's probably pretty close to the current green textile, but lighter than what they use in print. I gotta say, though, I'm going to take your advice and use a Champion-style number on the bills, kinda like the numerals on my Ravens concept.

Archived