NBA European Division

DarkJourney

And there are American players who wouldn't play overseas, regardless of the money. Baseball has that now with Canada - some players can and do have clauses in their contracts that stipulate they will not join a Canadian club (e.g., Toronto).

I wonder if the decline of the American dollar has changed that. All of a sudden, contracts signed by Toronto Raptors in 2004 are a whole lot more valuable, aren't they?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I like the idea, but like others I'm not sure it could work. Instead of admitting them into the NBA right away, they should probably make it a seperate league first. However don't treat it as a minor league, but an equal league (sort of like the AL and NL before MLB). They could play exhibition games against NBA teams, that count toward their schedule (so they'd count for NBA Europe, but not the NBA). If its successful you could have the leagues merge. But it would take a while. Plus the time differences would still be an issue.

More name ideas....

Paris Musketeers

Rome Centurions

Berlin Barons

Madrid Matadors

London Calling (just kidding, London LIONS as per the royal crest)

Man, with those last three there'a a lot of alliteration going on.....

One question though-- would the nameplate and logos be in our standard English format, or would they adapt the more formal format of each country's native language: "Los Matadors" "Les Musketeers a Paris"?

It is what it is.

And there are American players who wouldn't play overseas, regardless of the money. Baseball has that now with Canada - some players can and do have clauses in their contracts that stipulate they will not join a Canadian club (e.g., Toronto).

I wonder if the decline of the American dollar has changed that. All of a sudden, contracts signed by Toronto Raptors in 2004 are a whole lot more valuable, aren't they?

I believe all contracts are in US dollars including Toronto. I know at least in the NHL the CBA states that all contracts are to be payed with US Dollars I would imagine other leagues with fewer Canadian teams would be the same way.

If I remember correctly players had problems going to Vancouver when the Grizzlies played there. If players aren't willing to go to Vancouver they sure aren't going to want to go play in Europe. Sure the the lower end players who want to stay in the league will go to an overseas team to stay in the league but I can't imagine these teams attracting many star players.

More name ideas....

Paris Musketeers

Rome Centurions

Berlin Barons

Madrid Matadors

One question though-- would the nameplate and logos be in our standard English format, or would they adapt the more formal format of each country's native language: "Los Matadors" "Les Musketeers a Paris"?

The London Lions were an old hockey team. I doubt they would use that name. They would probably use London Towers.

I believe all contracts are in US dollars including Toronto. I know at least in the NHL the CBA states that all contracts are to be payed with US Dollars I would imagine other leagues with fewer Canadian teams would be the same way.

Upon a bit more examination, yeah, it's American dollars, and I don't get it. It seems like the players would be better served getting paid in the currency of the organization they play for. So are Canadian contracts, then, expressed in American dollars? Who actually pays the bills? Presumably, the Maple Leafs operate with Canadian dollars. Do they funnel $.85 for every dollar owed to the NBA, and then Stern cuts the check?

Weird. I wish this information was more easily available.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

More name ideas....

Paris Musketeers

Rome Centurions

Berlin Barons

Madrid Matadors

The London Lions were an old hockey team. I doubt they would use that name. They would probably use London Towers.

probably?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

More name ideas....

Paris Musketeers

Rome Centurions

Berlin Barons

Madrid Matadors

Man, with those last three there a lot of alliteration going on.....

Why are many still talking about nicknames when we have already mentioned MUCH more important issues for the NBA, such as:

Facilities- The NBA has not keen on OKC, even after their proposed renovations to Ford Center. I was there in OKC in 04 and thought that it was nice, but not a "major facility". Too much sealed concrete on the concourses as opposed to tile. It looked like, "an indoor FedEx Field".

Salaries/Taxes- Salaries in Europe will be taxed differently than in North America. The contract will be in US dollars, a player will have to pay taxes in the country they have 41 games in, the USA (if a US citizen), plus those cities which impose taxes for visiting players like Philadelphia, and NYC.

Bosman Ruling- There is still thought that this EU ruling will apply to all sport in Europe and have a direct impact on the current NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement. If you don't know what this is, look up "Bosman Ruling". The NBA may need to address to the EU about the differences between a "trade" and what they call a "transfer' plus its implication on the requirement in soccer to have so many nationals on the roster. This may involve the EU also.

More name ideas....

Paris Musketeers

Rome Centurions

Berlin Barons

Madrid Matadors

Why are many still talking about nicknames when we have already mentioned MUCH more important issues for the NBA, such as:

Facilities- The NBA has not keen on OKC, even after their proposed renovations to Ford Center. I was there in OKC in 04 and thought that it was nice, but not a "major facility". Too much sealed concrete on the concourses as opposed to tile. It looked like, "an indoor FedEx Field".

Salaries/Taxes- Salaries in Europe will be taxed differently than in North America. The contract will be in US dollars, a player will have to pay taxes in the country they have 41 games in, the USA (if a US citizen), plus those cities which impose taxes for visiting players like Philadelphia, and NYC.

Bosman Ruling- There is still thought that this EU ruling will apply to all sport in Europe and have a direct impact on the current NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement. If you don't know what this is, look up "Bosman Ruling". The NBA may need to address to the EU about the differences between a "trade" and what they call a "transfer' plus its implication on the requirement in soccer to have so many nationals on the roster. This may involve the EU also.

Well this is a sports logo forum after all :P

espnsig.gif

More name ideas....

Paris Musketeers

Rome Centurions

Berlin Barons

Madrid Matadors

Well this is a sports logo forum after all :P

Sometimes, you have to live in reality, not Concepts. A concept would be "If Peyton Manning won the Heisman". This is not the Concepts section or Sports Logos, so why think of either? Think of the effect (as opposed to the affect) that European expansion may have on the league and owners.

More name ideas....

Paris Musketeers

Rome Centurions

Berlin Barons

Madrid Matadors

London Bridges. That's my vote. Or Sacramento can move to London and they can be called the Kings.

Or something ruthlessly generic. Everything else is D-League-ish or WNBA-esque.

More name ideas....

Paris Musketeers

Rome Centurions

Berlin Barons

Madrid Matadors

probably?

The London Towers are an existing basketball team and the most popular team in the London area I believe. They are rumored to move into the O2 after the Olympics and if that's where the NBA team would play it would make sense.

The London Towers also just scrapped their top level team recently and only play a "B" team in a lower division now. But they have a tradition of re-naming new teams after old teams in London.

London Racers = Harringay Racers

Wembly Lions = London Lions

Haringay Greyhounds = Harringay Greyhounds

And that's just hockey. It's common in basketball too. So with the Towers being the most successful team in London history I could easily see an NBA team adopting the moniker.

Archived