Milwaukee Bucks Alternate

ShinyHubCaps

In the other board (Sports Logo Discussion), people have been speculating about NBA uniform changes for next season. Much of the discussion has been about alternate uniforms, and since the Bucks will be in their third year since their uniform switch, they will be eligible for an alternate. Instead of doing the predictable "traditional" alternate (which is the next most prominent color in the set, which in this case would be red), I decided to shake things up and go with silver.

The inspiration: On the FSN Final Score, the graphic that they use for the Bucks has a silver background. Most other teams, however, have one of their primary colors. I found it interesting that they used silver instead of green or red, so I thought it would look good on a jersey. The jersey itself is a combination of their current uniforms, along with this unused uniform from 2003:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/Shi...edAlternate.jpg

The advantages: People have been saying for a while that they'd like a Milwaukee team to finally put the city name (first name) on a jersey instead of just the nickname. The Brewers copped out with their uniform change in 2001 (?), as well as the Admirals with theirs in 2006-07. Furthermore, with another light jersey, the Bucks would have the option of wearing these at home once in a while, unlike every other team except the Lakers, who when they wear their alternates at home, force the opponent to wear their home sets on the road.

So, here they are. If the Bucks do get an alternate, I solidly hope they go with these.

Constructive criticism, please. I'd like to know what works and what doesn't, so it looks perfect for when I submit these to the Bucks organization for consideration. :grin:

EDIT: I tried to take some of the suggestions, and now I have a few variations. The original numbers I used were a modified version of the San Diego Padre's numbers; I changed that to the Bucks' current numbers. I also standardized the silver (it is now the silver from the bevel in the primary wordmark), as well as curving the letters, which I just figured out how to do, but it's still messy.

Original

New:

Bucks3.png

And please look at the other ones, and also please leave your critique. The remaining ones are mixtures of the colors on the wordmark. All new wordmarks are also angled upward, except for the top one in the next set, which I left the same... I think it would work. If you'd like to see any variations of color AND tilt, please say so.

Other Prototype 1

Other Prototype 2

Other Prototype 3

Other Prototype 4

Variations added per request:

Green Wordmark Variation 1

Green Wordmark Variation 2

Green Wordmark Variation 3

Green Numbers Type 1

Green Numbers Type 2

Please say which variation you like best, and if I need to make any changes to it.

I like what you have with these, and I think silver would be a good choice for the Bucks. Two things that I would change would be putting the "Milwaukee" script in either green or red, probably red since that is what the rest of the numbering and lettering is. The white would be awfully hard to read on silver. The other thing would just be not having the names in italics on the back.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I like what you have with these, and I think silver would be a good choice for the Bucks. Two things that I would change would be putting the "Milwaukee" script in either green or red, probably red since that is what the rest of the numbering and lettering is. The white would be awfully hard to read on silver. The other thing would just be not having the names in italics on the back.

I wanted to have the names in arched text, but I did not know how to do that in Flash. I'll change it when I figure out how... anyone know?

Slant / italicize / whatever the Milwaukee script like how it is in the unused set.

Stick with either the current number font, or a block font. You don't want fancy numbers competing with the script for attention.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Lovin' it, folk.

Two things, though: as was previously suggested, I'd make the primary script either green or red (probably red, since it stands out more than green), and consider using the block numbers from the old-school johns the Bucks used to rock back in the 70's or something like that.

Solid, though. Solid.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

These get a HUGE thumbs up from this Bucks fan. I definetly feel you on the idea of a red jersey looking ridiculous and think this is the way to go. Nice touch with bringing back the tradtional "Milwaukee" script (which has been used by the Brewers and Bucks in the past), but I have to echo the "make it red" sentiment.

Phenominal job though...

BTW, I never saw those green/purple alts before. Those actually make that arse ugly color scheme seem bearable.

I updated the first post with 5 new versions (6 total). Please say which you like the most, as well as any changes you think I should make to it. Comments are always appreciated.

Judging by response thus far, the one I think most people will pick is the one I left in the image itself.

I'd say definetly #2, but follow the same pattern with the numbers that you did with the wordmark (red with white AND green outline). Otherwise the red and green wash together too much IMO.

I'd also love to see a version with a green mark/numbers with a white & red outline.

I lvoe this... As a Bucks fan I knew an alt would be coming sooner than later and I really hate the idea of going with red because there are already soooo many red jerseys out there.

1 thing working against this.

The Rockets jerseys were made red specifically to cater to the Chinese market. The Bucks now have Yi and I am sure the Chinese market will be a factor here. I hope I am wrong about that because I am a big fan of Gray/Silver alts in basketball (the Nets former jersey was wonderful and I love the Spurs throwbacks). I think it is an under utilized color in basketball.

I have posted your image on RealGM (the biggest congregation of Bucks fans I know of) and I hope you get some feedback from that.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php...779071#15779071

Now having seen it side-by-side, I have to agree. Definetly go with the one Gothamite's been hypin' up...

But with green numbers.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Definitely like it with the green numbers. I sort of think that the front numbers could go without the outline, just to make the wordmark the only thing that has any type of "flair."

As for the NOB, I originally thought that red would have been better, but that red doesn't look like the same shade used for the front. Maybe it's because it doesn't have the dark-green outline. Either way, now that you've actually produced it, I think that the bottom one with the green numbers / red outline and solid green NOB is the winner.

Archived