U of Illinois Hockey Club goes 38-0

STL FANATIC

This happened a few days ago, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

We don't have NCAA hockey here at U of I due to a combo of Title IX and money, but we do have a really good club hockey team with some great fans (I'm just a fan...only made it to one game).

The club team has a tradition of success, but this season was unparalleled.

They won the regular season championship, then their conference championship, and then their league, the ACHA, championship never dropping a game along the way.

I know it's not the top level by any means, but the ACHA is decent hockey who's top teams, in my totally uneducated guess, could probably play with NCAA D-III teams at least. It's not an easy league to dominate anyways.

Anyways, there final record was a pretty astounding 38-0, including 5 wins against the league's #2 club Lindenwood (further including one in the conference championship game and one in the league championship game).

In any competitive league that's a pretty amazing accomplishment and I thought it was worthy of mention.

That's great for Illinois to win a championship. I know last year they lost in either the semi-finals or the championship. I've never been to a game, but I would like to go down there to see one soon.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

That's great for Illinois to win a championship. I know last year they lost in either the semi-finals or the championship. I've never been to a game, but I would like to go down there to see one soon.

You definitely should make a trip down to an Illini hockey game sometime. It's an incredibly raucous crowd in a tiny rink. I wish Illinois could build a larger facility so the team could elevate above club status, but that just isn't in the cards, apparently.

Congrats to the Illini.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

You definitely should make a trip down to an Illini hockey game sometime. It's an incredibly raucous crowd in a tiny rink. I wish Illinois could build a larger facility so the team could elevate above club status, but that just isn't in the cards, apparently.

Congrats to the Illini.

That makes more sense than blaming Title IX. Funds aren't an issue for one of the largest and more prominent state schools in the country. Especially when it would be so easy to start a women's hockey team along with the mens.

Congrats to the Illini.

That makes more sense than blaming Title IX. Funds aren't an issue for one of the largest and more prominent state schools in the country. Especially when it would be so easy to start a women's hockey team along with the mens.

Well, when I said Title IX and money, I also meant the money it'd take to build a new rink.

I guess Title IX just turns me off some, because the two sports I played in high school, soccer and swimming, Illinois has women's teams for, but not mens.

Granted, I'd have never been able to play NCAA soccer. But I knew since grade school I wanted to come to Illinois and I honestly have little doubt that if Illinois had a men's swimming team that I would have put in the extra work necessary to be a walk-on on that team (I base this on a couple of experience with walk-ons on the women's team).

I certainly understand the importance of Title IX, but I can't help but feel it's run it's course and needs to be modified to prevent from cutting male sports.

If nothing else, football should be removed from the equation.

Justin, doesn't Illinois also have women's club hockey? They did when I was down there.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Justin, doesn't Illinois also have women's club hockey? They did when I was down there.

I honestly can't recall hearing about them anytime recently, but with some hunting around, I found that there is still a women's club team.

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ro/www/IlliniWomen%27sHockeyClub/

Congrats to the Illini.

Well, when I said Title IX and money, I also meant the money it'd take to build a new rink.

I guess Title IX just turns me off some, because the two sports I played in high school, soccer and swimming, Illinois has women's teams for, but not mens.

Granted, I'd have never been able to play NCAA soccer. But I knew since grade school I wanted to come to Illinois and I honestly have little doubt that if Illinois had a men's swimming team that I would have put in the extra work necessary to be a walk-on on that team (I base this on a couple of experience with walk-ons on the women's team).

I certainly understand the importance of Title IX, but I can't help but feel it's run it's course and needs to be modified to prevent from cutting male sports.

If nothing else, football should be removed from the equation.

Well... if Illinois started a women's hockey team, they'd satisfy Title IX AND be able to use the same facilities.

My only beef with Title IX is that it's based on the number of scholarship athletes rather than the number of scholarships themselves. And let's face it... it's gonna take a few generations before our society purges enough of that "girls can't play sports" bull that playing sports is as appealing to females as it is to males.

Congrats to the Illini.

The Ice Arena is operated by Campus Recreation, not the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics. It is funded by student recreation fees, Kinesiology fees, public skating, local youth hockey, and LTS (Learn to Skate classes). While the student body recently passed a fee to expand recreation facilities across campus, the ice arena was not under consideration. The facility is so old, that lots of work and abatiment would ahve to be done. In addition, there issues with the chilling system which neither Campus Recreation nor the University want to tackle fully, so funds are an issue, especially since it is basically the only rink for the community. Since 1999 I know that work on the chillers has been done at least 4 times and the ice has been melted. There was talk of either of the cities (Champaign/Urbana) of building a multiple rink facility, but that has not happened and probably won't occur.

I know it's not the top level by any means, but the ACHA is decent hockey who's top teams, in my totally uneducated guess, could probably play with NCAA D-III teams at least. It's not an easy league to dominate anyways.

Penn State (club) beat Robert Morris (D-1) a couple years ago.

To be fair Robert Morris is one of the worst D-1 teams and Penn State struggled with them, but the top ACHA teams are very competitive and could easily compete with and beat many D-III and even D-1 teams.

Archived