Are the Cubs going to wear a 100th anniversary logo this season?

OCE

Tiptoeing into this topic and getting slightly serious for a moment... if the Cubs were to follow suit of other MLB teams, they likely would have had the patch last year -- celebrating the 100th anniversary of their first World Series title.

However, considering it was the first of back-to-back and none since, my guess is that they wanted to avoid anything commemorating the number 100. That said, had the Cubs won 2 or 3 titles since and any fairly recently, I don't think they'd have hesitated to celebrate it.

So far by my count only four teams have had the option to celebrate the 100th anniversary of their first World Series title with a patch, and all have passed. But with patches for the 10th anniversary of World Series titles and 25th anniversary of AL titles (Marlins, Brewers last year), it seems logical that some team would promote the 100th anniversary -- as long as it also wasn't their last (or, in the case of the Cubs, second to last by one year).

(Edited to clarify patch references.)

Ugh. Anniversary patches are stupid. I'm all for inaugural season patches, all-star patches, final season (in a stadium) retrospective patches, and other such one-off commemorative patches for current events. In-stadium promotions are kind of cool - 10 years since that awesome division championship year, for example.

As noted by somebody above, wearing 1908 throwback uniforms would be a nice touch.

So far by my count only four teams have had the option to celebrate the 100th anniversary of their first World Series title, and all have passed.

As I mentioned, the White Sox wore 1906 throwbacks in 2006 to celebrate 100 years since that title.

Also, I feel like the Red Sox did something to celebrate their 1903 title, but I might be confusing that with a celebration of 100 years since the first World Series.

So far by my count only four teams have had the option to celebrate the 100th anniversary of their first World Series title, and all have passed.

As I mentioned, the White Sox wore 1906 throwbacks in 2006 to celebrate 100 years since that title.

Ah, you are correct. I was referring to year-round patches, so I should have said "celebrate with a patch." I will edit that.

DOUBLE POST. So I'll mention that I preferred the 2001 throwbacks to the 2006 versions, and it seemed the White Sox did as well, since they wore them almost every Sunday that season while the 1906 look barely made the field.

They're already celebrating by selling the team and stadium.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

DOUBLE POST. So I'll mention that I preferred the 2001 throwbacks to the 2006 versions, and it seemed the White Sox did as well, since they wore them almost every Sunday that season while the 1906 look barely made the field.

The 1917 throwbacks they wore in '01 were, indeed, a "Sunday Special", to be worn at all Sunday home games. The 1906 throwbacks were an "occasional" alt that only got worn twice. The 1917 unis were far, far superior, btw.

Hey, wouldn't it be great if the White Sox commemorated the 100th anniversary of the 1917 World Champion team by taking the field without shoes?

"Well, they made that change uptown and The Big Man joined the band."

--Bruce Springsteen

"10th Avenue Freeze-Out"

Hey, wouldn't it be great if the White Sox commemorated the 100th anniversary of the 1917 World Champion team by taking the field without shoes?

How about celebrating the 100th anniversary of the 1919 World Series by not taking the field at all? :P

Also, Shoeless Joe Jackson went....well....shoeless in the minors, not the majors.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Archived